Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 21 (twenty one) years ago today!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I was still working a away a lot at that time and did try to get a season ticket that year, and was unable to get a ticket for the game. I remember, I was at the in laws and sneaked the TV on and loaded up Teletext, every time the page refreshed it seemed we scored another goal. I think they thought I gone mad as I kept jumping up and down.

Last edited:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
What a day and what an atmosphere. Remember stamping our feet on the temporary stand of scaffold......but didn't it feel great to be back from Gillingham.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Remember queuing for tickets outside the ticket office/shop on Queens Rd.
Brilliant day.
Totally forgot Aiden Newhouse played for the Albion though! All about Freeman that day, of course.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

I still remember the day well, apart from where I parked (somewhere in Haywards Heath I suppose), and the walk up Snakey Lane (despite being told by the club that we weren't supposed to use it, no-one seemed to care). Great game and I remember thinking (wrongly as it happened) that the team would go places that season. However, it was the launch pad for the next two fabulous seasons, some of the best times I've had watching the Albion. Also, meeting other STH I'd never met before, who would go on to become firm friends for a number of seasons. Ironically, I've lost touch with them since we moved to the Amex.

never really understood why using that path (presuming you mean the one from preston park station to withdean?) was so taboo....what was the big deal in using it?!

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
The Leeds fans on here who said they cared more for their club should have been with us on that day to feel the sheer relief, joy, companionship and utter disbelief we had made it back to Brighton.We sometimes forget ourselves how many ups and downs this club has experienced. Other clubs have experienced difficulties but the sheer will of a passionate band of supporters help achieve what we have today. Great scenes.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
never really understood why using that path (presuming you mean the one from preston park station to withdean?) was so taboo....what was the big deal in using it?!

Used it all the time. Could get a bit muddy, mind. I think initially they had a couple of police or stewards there telling people not to use it.

Imagine the issue was it was difficult to police, if it kicked off between opposing fans. Might be wrong, but I'm sure it was blocked off when we played the likes of Leeds, etc.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

I think the club was just bending over backwards not to offend any local residents. I suppose with the path being a very popular dog walking area and cut through for locals from the station to Withdean they were worried about too many people making it muddy, and there were a few houses at the lower end. It did become a bit of a mud bath in winter, so I just used to walk via the main road once that happened (and eventually took to driving to games and parking off Carden Avenue).

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
yeh, I used to live around Withdean so used that path all the time

to be honest in winter months it could essentially be a river

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I remember the locals in the area in their gardens and flats on the walk home hanging out of their windows and on the balconies clapping and looking excited as we left. I remember because I was expecting them all to be nimbys. What a great way to arrive back in Brighton!

Is the path from Preston Park station to Withdean called Snakey Lane?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
On the phone to my brother. I was living in Worthing and he was in Sheffield, what an amazing game.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Cell block D with Pasty Rich and Steve, Don't think I've grinned and laughed as much at a game before or since.

Such a great day after everything before it, especially the turdathon that was Gillingham.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Pub then up Snakey Lane and then the sheer ludicrous spectacle of my team playing at the home of Brighton school sports days (and Withdean fc). Can’t be many football stadiums in the world where 50 times more crowd members than players had been on the hallowed turf.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Pub then up Snakey Lane and then the sheer ludicrous spectacle of my team playing at the home of Brighton school sports days (and Withdean fc). Can’t be many football stadiums in the world where 50 times more crowd members than players had been on the hallowed turf.

and run a lap . . . . I did a lap with Steve Ovett there when I was a kid! and Superstars there as well!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Was there, champagne in sugdeon fields opposite before the match and party on the seafront after. happy days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here