• Rio de Janiero

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • Tokyo

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I just remember how good the Barcelona olympics were and think that Madrid would be just as good.

Any sporting event that involves playing more than 3 hours ahead or before GMT should be banned...We invented every sport after all :angry:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There was a Spanish Olympics (Barcelona) as recently as 1992, so might count against them? Although I guess you could say the same for the US (Atlanta 1996) counting against Chicago.

The entire bidding process is completely corrupt, however, so it's likely, as always, to come down to whichever city throws enough money and hospitality in the direction of the IOC President and delegates, particularly those from countries which stand to gain politically from the outcome.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yep but Qatar is a money-town with no sporting history or culture.

You are right there, it was a little fishing village until about 20 years ago when they discovered natural gas, it is still a flat and dusty place with just one city to its name and little else worthy of note. The only sporting history is really recent, most of that is African long distance runners who they bought...and that camel racing with 7 year old jockeys...oh, and they do have motorbike racing as well.

The only other downside (other than stifling heat, it was over 50C the day I arrived out there) if it did get the Olympics is that as an Islamic state, albeit a fairly liberal one, alcohol is pretty much only available in the large hotels...if you go to a restaruant in the city centre there isn't any.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Chicago: Seems like quite a dull place(for an Olympics). Plus America is always having big sporting events(or at least it seems like they are).

Madrid: Cool. Might be affected by Britain having it in 2012.

Rio de Janiero: My number one choice. Samba and sun and fun. 2014 world cup hopefully won't hinder them...should prove that the infra-structure is all in place.

Tokyo: That'd be pretty cool for me. God knows where they're planning to put all the stadiums etc as there's barely a square metre of available space in the city...

Scrap the words "for me" from the Tokyo bit, and I'd pretty much go along with that.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Are there no signs left of the 1964 games?

Yeah, there's a bit. The national stadium is still there but it's a bit run down. There's also a cool looking gymnasium that they used.

I was thinking more of all the other stuff like swimming, canoeing, horse riding, rowing(the rivers aren't too pretty...) etc. Plus I thought the olympics was about regeneration...Tokyo is constantly being rebuilt but there's just no new space for big olympic sized stadiums and the like IMO. I'm sure they could/will find a way though.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, there's a bit. The national stadium is still there but it's a bit run down. There's also a cool looking gymnasium that they used.

I was thinking more of all the other stuff like swimming, canoeing, horse riding, rowing(the rivers aren't too pretty...) etc. Plus I thought the olympics was about regeneration...Tokyo is constantly being rebuilt but there's just no new space for big olympic sized stadiums and the like IMO. I'm sure they could/will find a way though.

They'll probably just build everything on top each other in a kind of massive stadium sandwich.

For me, I'd vote for any of them except Chicago, the thought of the Americans hosting (or ruining) another major sporting event really doesn't appeal

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
How did Qatar get 6.9 and Rio 6.4 yet Rio got through then?

Qatar recently banned a jewish tennis player because"They couldn't guarantee her saftey". Hardly going to charm the IOC with that one.

Everything in chicago is rigged, they are experts. I would back them to noble the IOC.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
For me, America doesn't deserve them for a good while longer yet. They had them in 84 and then again in 96 – two Olympics out of four. There are other continents/regions who are due a turn first, let alone nations, and for that reason I also vote Rio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here