• Madrid

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Rio de Janiero

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • Tokyo

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters

1066gull

As a long term supporter of the Chicago bid, the last remaining candidate cities have until October 2nd when the IOC decide their vote in Copenhagen. The evaluation of the candidate cities have Madrid and Tokyo as close favourites, but who do you want to see succeed the baton from London?

If the 'legacy thing' London has created continues, Rio and Chicago have a great chance. Tokyo will be fantastic however, but I am really unsure of Madrid's prospects, being so close to London but their is no reason for them to be discounted.

Azerbaijan, Czech Rep and Qatar were eliminated as host cities earlier on.

1066gull

surely they wont pick a european city for 2016 because London is hosting 2012

The IOC have no rules that prevent other hosts to gain the rights to host the games but Rio and Chicago do have a slight advantage but Asia and Europe have hosted them in the last eight years.

Don't forgot, we beat New York is 2005 when the Olympics had just been in Greece. I do believe Chicago will get it, but Madrid's bid is very strong.

1066gull

Why are you supportong Chicago? Other than Asian girls in ER.

I like the bid, and would like the games to go to them. It was them or LA when the American vote got them down between the two.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

Qatar hosted the Asian games about 3 or 4 years ago, I was in Doha in 2004 and they were building the stadia at the time...to say that they are impressive is a massive understatement, the infrastructure is already in place and I don't think it would take much to bring them up to a level where they could be serious contenders.

How about these for starters:

ImageGen.aspx

main_picture.jpg

qg_01.jpg

The first one is an olympic size stadium, already in place, I think the last two are for a concept mixed-use football stadium...which, if I know the money crazy Qataris, will probably be built!

1066gull

Qatar's elimination score was 6.9. Compare that now to Rio 6.4, Chicago 7.0, Madrid 8.1 and Tokyo 8.3 they were very unlucky.

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Yep but Qatar is a money-town with no sporting history or culture.

I'd back Chicago too probably. There really should be a World Cup style continental rotation system - it has to be in the judges minds anyway so why not acknowledge it officially?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Rio could be harmed by Brazil having the World Cup in 2014 (I know the two aren't connected, but it could be a factor), Madrid's chances may be hit by the fact that it's geographically much closer to London than any of the others.

That would leave Chicago or Tokyo, and I reckon it'll be Tokyo.

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham

Were they taking the piss?

Azerbaijan has got oil, so wouldn't be a surprise at all.

If rrruss sees this thread he might be able to fill in more details as he's out there at the moment.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Chicago: Seems like quite a dull place(for an Olympics). Plus America is always having big sporting events(or at least it seems like they are).

Madrid: Cool. Might be affected by Britain having it in 2012.

Rio de Janiero: My number one choice. Samba and sun and fun. 2014 world cup hopefully won't hinder them...should prove that the infra-structure is all in place.

Tokyo: That'd be pretty cool for me. God knows where they're planning to put all the stadiums etc as there's barely a square metre of available space in the city...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here