Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2007 May Elections will vote ?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Tommy Boy, it won't be interesting because it is a council election.

You have to wait till 2009/10 for the interesting stuff.

I will be voting via postal vote in my first election and it will be for Labour. Bloody Greens in my home ward:angry:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
turienzo's lovechild said:
DILEMMA

my newcastle seat has been labour for about a MILLION YEARS, whereas brighton pav may be a bit of an interesting one

There's not very much chance of being a general election in May.

The Lib Dems have a slim majority from Labour on Newcastle Council, Labour have a slim majority from the Tories on Brighton and Hove Council.

You choose!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
There's not very much chance of being a general election in May.

The Lib Dems have a slim majority from Labour on Newcastle Council, Labour have a slim majority from the Tories on Brighton and Hove Council.

You choose!

It would be a sad (and very likely) scenario if Labour lose control of Brighton/Hove Council.

I know the current party bears little resemblance to the one that historically took the Council in the '80s, but it will be a shame after all the hard work many individuals did during that time period.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I think they probably will, especially if the Lib Dems do a Lib Dem special and go into a devil's pact with the Tories.

Wasn't the old Brighton council Tory for a bit in the mid-1990s? I remember them taking Moulsecoomb ward. Jesus.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
No Brighton was Tory till about 1985, then it was no overall control for a couple of years.

It certainly has been Labour since the late 1980s.

The local level benefited from the national momentum against the Tories which compensated for a degree of local butchering by our dear lord bassam, but we won't go into that.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Nemesis said:
Be sad for The Albion...

True as we wouldn't get planning permission for anything at all.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Yorkie said:
Defnitely voting and for my husband who will be standing for the Seagulls Party.

I don't have a vote in May, as I'm registered to vote in the London Borough of Wandsworth, but I shall be pounding the streets of Newhaven on Mr Jackson's behalf for a week or so beforehand. My old ward, Forest Row, is as blue as the sea on a clear day, and my parents will be planning to help it stay so.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Buzzer said:
The leaders claim it as a mandate for their policies if their party is successful. Also, national issues can have an effect on local elections. Just look at Labour votes disintegrate in muslim areas.

I f***ing hate Blair and all his smug cronies. Can't wait to see the back of 'em.

But you'd prefer a man whose ambition in life is to turn into Tony Blair - how odd?

Anyway back to local issues.

I can't vote for the tories on principal.
I can't vote Lib Dem cos of LDC
I can't vote green cos I don't think they'll support the stadium
I won't vote for any far right/ little englander parties

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Haven't decided who I'm voting for, but my predictions for Brighton & Hove City Council are thus...

The Tories will become the biggest party in the city, but will not gain control. Labour will lose seats - mainly to the Greens. In 2004, Brighton returned 6 Green councillors (the highest number in the country at the time - Norwich currently has 9). I think The Greens will end up with about 15 councillors - the gains mainly being at Labour's expense.

However, even though I reckon the Tories will be the largest party, I believe the Greens and Labour will forge/re-inforce the loose alliance they have now, and retain some sort of control. The Lib Dems in the city (all pro-Falmer) are highly unlikely to form any alliance with the Tories.

So I suspect it may well be 'as you were' but with a much Greener agenda.

The main concern I would have with that is the possibility of a shift in policy away from supporting Falmer. Hopefully, it will be too late by then, or that the Greens will retain their current policy of accepting the government's decision. What they CANNOT do is unilaterally reverse their own council's planning approval, especially as Ruth Kelly's decision does over-ride it. What the Greens will NOT do is support Sheepcote Valley as a stadium site.

Dennis and Lois

Aug 10, 2006
Two of the 49
Am now back from exile and presently reside under the beady eye of LDC. Will be voting for The Seagulls and I believe they are aware i'm happy to post leaflets etc ( I'm not offering to stand because if i dont like the way an argument is going i tend to finish it with the phrase "suck a fart out my arse!", not much help to the party)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Newhaven Valley, isn't it, Yorks?

I'm not sure as there are three wards in Newhaven. No doubt all will be made clear at the Seagulls Party AGM 22nd February.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here