Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2007 - great sporting year?

What sporting achievement is most likely?

• England get to the rugby world cup final

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • England get to the cricket world cup final

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Andy Murray gets to the final at Wimbledon

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Murray wint do much past the 4th in The Don as his weakest surface is grass, doest suit his game.

England Cricket although is on an up at the moment will deep again.

The question is could Johnny lift the nation again? I hope so - least we are going into a big sporting event with something to defend for once.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Can't really see any of those happening to be honest.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Tricky Dicky said:
Can't see either the cricket or rugby happening so I guess Murray would be my favourite - he'll be a top 10 player by June. Might have to rely on the Fed being injured to win, but could make the final.

Only 3 places to move up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Kinky Gerbils said:
Murray wint do much past the 4th in The Don as his weakest surface is grass, doest suit his game.
I think that was once the case, but not so much these days. Reading the San Jose reports, they were saying he was attacking the ball on his way to beating Roddick because he couldn't get into long ground-out rallies and expect to win.

And Wimbledon isn't condusive to long rallies. I think Wimbledon can suit him, if he can sort out his first serve...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
As long as it's not option three, don't need some uninspiring dull scotsman with no personality winning a tried and tested english tournament.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Murrays the best chance out of that lot but can't I'll have none of them happen.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My problem with this poll is that i don't greatly care for any of these sports. Yes, i might have two on in the background, like lusty twins raised by wrestlemaniac wolves, but i couldn't pay attention for long.

I think i would like to watch and be involved minorly in the Disgruntlement World Cup, mostly.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In cricket we have a decent chance if our bowlers come off, especially with Pietersen back...I recon losing semi-s

Murray is the dark horse - I still think Federer is so much better than anyone else and Nadal is a close second. Go out in Quarters

At the moment, there are New Zealand, Australia, France and Ireland possibly better than us.....NZ are notoriously bad travellers in major competitions and if you get at them quick.....France will take some beating, so I will go for a France vs Australia final with France winning and England 4th losing to Ireland in the 3rd place play off.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
In cricket we have a decent chance if our bowlers come off, especially with Pietersen back...I recon losing semi-s

Murray is the dark horse - I still think Federer is so much better than anyone else and Nadal is a close second. Go out in Quarters

At the moment, there are New Zealand, Australia, France and Ireland possibly better than us.....NZ are notoriously bad travellers in major competitions and if you get at them quick.....France will take some beating, so I will go for a France vs Australia final with France winning and England 4th losing to Ireland in the 3rd place play off.

Do not think the final is beyond England (fatal last words).

Looking at the draw, if we win our group we should play Wales in the quarters and France in the semis and on our day we can still beat France, especially is Wilkinson, Farrell and Robinson are fit and on form.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Dave the Gaffer said:
I don't think the Aussies or S Africa are much better than us. NZ will win it, but the other finalist could be any one of S Africa, Australia, France, Ireland and possibly England (if our return to form is the real deal).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
Do not think the final is beyond England (fatal last words).

Looking at the draw, if we win our group we should play Wales in the quarters and France in the semis and on our day we can still beat France, especially is Wilkinson, Farrell and Robinson are fit and on form.
France are doable.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tom Hark said:
Agreed. We need ANDY MURRAY :clap2: :clap: :clap2:
Indeed, a fantastic BRITISH talent. Personally I hope he goes on to win many tournaments this year - it would make me feel proud to be English. I realise that Federer is a cut above everyone at the moment and is arguably the greatest tennis player the world has ever seen, but let's not forget - Murray has actually beaten him in the last few months. Yes, that's right, he is one of only two players to have beaten Federer in the past two years, and he's a local lad. It makes me want to sing "Good old Sussex by the Sea" whenever I see him play. Indeed, Wimbledon is his local tournament really - watch the hoardes of Sussex tennis fans travel in their thousands to support their man. I think he still lives in Brighton actually. Come to think of it, I think he's a north stand season ticket holder at Withers. Lovely bloke, on the way up, about to break into the top 10. And from Brighton of course, as you know.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd say the rugby.

Looking at the rugby draw the group match vs South Africa is MASSIVE. Win that and our path to the final is Wales Q/F, France S/F.

Lose and our path is Australia Q/F, New Zealand S/F.

I can't see us winning the cricket because we don't have the bowling or the explosive batting line-up required.

Having watched Andy Murray beat Karlovic on Sunday night he is definitely the real deal but much will depend on his Wimbledon seeding. I cannot see him beating both Nadal and Federer. Presently he's World No. 13 which would pair him with the number 4 seed in the last 16.

He could do with moving up to 8 or 9 in the rankings to give himself a better chance of making the last 8, and from that point onwards guts, stamina, mental strength and crowd support come more into play.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here