Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2006: Beatles to release new album

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The soundtrack to The Beatles LOVE, the Beatles-Cirque du Soleil Las Vegas musical, will be released on November 21st. The album features 26 newly created "mashups" of material from the group's original master tapes, creating a musical "tapestry" mixing elements from different Beatles songs to form entirely new pieces.

Researchers have been given access to over 200 hours on unheard Beatles recordings.. they remastered Real Love and Free as a Bird in the 90s and it was superb. They used Lennons audio recordings and origional track and layered on top. It really does sound authentic.. because I suppose it is.

Anyway, Ringo and McCartney to over see the project.

The Las Vegas partnership between the Beatles and Cirque du Soleil was spearheaded by the late George Harrison and Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberte, who became friends while following the Formula One racing circuit. It was Harrison who pitched the idea to Paul McCartney and went on to attend a Las Vegas Cirque performance with him in 2000, and Harrison's enthusiasm for the project convinced McCartney, Ringo Starr, and John Lennon's widow Yoko Ono to agree to the project.

We asked Harrison's widow, Olivia Harrison, if George would be as impressed with The Beatles LOVE production as everyone else is: "Yeah, I do (laughs). I know he was really excited about it and he kind of pushed for that project to happen. It was something he really, really wanted to happen, and so I'm sure he would have enjoyed it."

http://www.therockradio.com/2006/10/beatles-cirque-du-soleil-soundtrack_16.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4905630.stm

Looks quite interesting. Sorry if fixtures.

Out November 26th. Just in time for xmas. :wave:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Heard all the album on Capital (G)old yesterday for the first time and via Beatles.com just now. Really clever mixing and sounds great.. comes out on monday in glorious 5.1. If the mix is as good as the Beach Boys recent Pet Sounds 5.1 it should be bloody good...

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Just heard his son being interviewed.. sounds like his old man!

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I saw this show in Vegas a few months back. The stage was interesting, changes shapes and all that. Not a hell of a lot of 'circus' anything going on. There were only 2 people doing things that looked like hard learned skills. Bouncing about on bungy cords does not cut it with me. Any old drunk could be attached to a cord and bounce around. Anyway they had speakers in the chair backs so Beatles folk can whisper in your ear. I was getting pi$$ed off at the folks around me until I noticed the speakers!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Half way through listening to this f*cking loud on the DVDA surround sound disc...

I doubt anybody could listen to most of these tracks in this format and not say it's absolutely brilliant. End of.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
:clap2: :clap2:

Am loading the whole album now on iTunes, but the four-track sampler is just lovely. I quite like the weird world of Beatles "mash-ups" anyway - well, virtually any Beatles music at all, in whatever form.
Especially like: The Beatles vs Belinda Carlisle, "Daytrip To Heaven"; The Beatles vs Skeelo, "I Wish I Was A Bulldog";
The Beatles vs Radiohead, "Karma In The Life"; The Beatles vs Blur, "Rich Girls And Boys".

Though the Radiohead one is perhaps the most disappointing, not that anything could really compare with the original - maybe solely the surprising anti-climax of Macca chatting away instead of that sonorous chord, at the end of the tweaked Anthology 2 version...)

This "new" album seems la bit ike an extension of Anthology 2, the most intriguing of the Anthology albums with its willingness to playfully chop and juxtapose (eg. Macca talking instead of the final, cataclysmic piano chord on "Day In The Life"; the brass flourishes on "Lady Madonna"; the segue from rough demo to harmonies on "Yes It Is")

Loving the way "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Octopus's Garden", "Lady Madonna" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (with that beautiful "lost" verse) are layered richly with samples from, say, "Piggies", "Long Long Long", "Sgt Pepper", "Penny Lane", "Good Night", "Hello Goodbye" (hela, heba hello-a)....

That discarded, dreamy slide guitar on "Strawberry Fields Forever" gets me every time...

Then again, the new power-poppermost Sean Lennon album Friendly Fire is really rather good too.

Fabtastic, all-round, really. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Juan Albion said:
Is Sean's album really good? I have a chance of going to see him next month. $20 - worth it, then?

I'd go and see a Beatle son's gig anyway if the chance came along, but this new album is, yes, really good. Much better than his first, trying-too-hard-grungey effort a few years back.
This one's quite reminiscent of, er... Big Star.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
SussexSpur said:
I'd go and see a Beatle son's gig anyway if the chance came along, but this new album is, yes, really good. Much better than his first, trying-too-hard-grungey effort a few years back.
This one's quite reminiscent of, er... Big Star.

Think I will then.

After seeing Ringo a couple of months back, I guess I'd only need to see George Harrison's pet cat and Paul McCartney's wooden leg to complete the set.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Jam The Man said:
Just heard his son being interviewed.. sounds like his old man!

As eerily as Dhani Harrison resembles George?

343724494_l.jpg

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Top stuff...

Stand out tracks for me are:

Lucy In The Sky
Within You / Tomorrow Never Knows
I Am The Walrus
Strawberry Fields Forever
Back In The USSR
the intro to Revolution
the outro to Hey Jude

F*ck it, it's all good!

For those not in the know you need to understand this is NOT just a Beatles compilation.. it really nees to be heard in surround sound to appreciate the effort...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Big up to mash up, innit? Rewind!!!

Er... I bought the DVD version today. I'm a sucker for surround sound.

Love is actually the first Beatles I've ever bought (!)... although I am aware of their earlier work. :lolol:

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Does make you wonder how many more albums they're going to sqeezue out of The Beatles franchise before they finally let them lie. I bet we're still seeing 'Beatles' albums being released in the run up to Christmas at the turn of the century...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here