Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 2000 fans but under tier 2 no household mixing indoors

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
At the Chelsea game it was table service only in 1901 and every table was socially distanced, so I think it could be done though I’m not clear whether it’s permissible under tier 2?

If restaurants/bars can do it if a substantial meal is served (under tier 2) then I can’t see why it can’t work in 1901.

Will have to have an extra packet of crisps with my sausage roll.......!

P.s. think 1901 club comes under the definition of a hospitality venue so should be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That doesn’t work anymore unless the people at the table are from one household. Indoor household mixing is banned under tier 2.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
It isnt about revenue , its about starting the process. They have to start somewhere. Realistically we arent going to be back to full stadium till next season. What they can do is start small, and slowly increase attendance through the remainder of the season. Undoubtedly 2000 fans will cost the club more than they make. 4000 is probably similar, but once they have proved that can be done, the level will increase to say 6 000 or 7500 and that will start to make money.

Will there be anomalies where you cant meet someone at home for a cuppa, but can meet in the stadium for a pint , of course. There were before and will be again. You simply can not legislate for 65 million people and expect every scenario to be covered. What you can do is put your "big boy pants" on, and treat the situation sensibly and enjoy going to the football if you are lucky enough to get a ticket. If you look for contradictions and anomalies you will find them. All you have to do is see what the spirit of this is and be sensible about it.

If you don't want to go, do'nt go, opt out, sell on exchange or whatever.

You can’t meet for a pint in the stadium under Tier 2 as indoor household mixing is banned.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Brilliant. So everyone will be sat at their tables for 1 with substantial table served meals if they want a beer at the game.

[emoji38]

Good point I had missed that- you cant sell any alcohol without a substantial meal so that probably rules out all alcohol sales in the standard concourses. Restricted to 1901 / hospitality only - and then only with a sit down plated meal! Ha! #itdoesntwork

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They have to open to demonstrate that it works as part of the journey back to bigger crowds and a viable commercial operation.

The problem is it only really works under tier 1 where groups of 6 can mix indoors. Under tier 2 the ban on household mixing indoors does not really work. Unless they shut the concourses, hospitality, 1901 lounges etc and shepherd people straight to the stands. Which makes it even less viable.

It hasn’t been thought through.

it is a far from perfect situation, and some aspects of the usual experience will no doubt not be achievable. But to suggest that this ‘hasn’t been thought through’ is a pretty shit thing to write, tbh. People at the club will have thought long and hard about little else, for months, and it’s pretty disrespectful to ignore that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They have to open to demonstrate that it works as part of the journey back to bigger crowds and a viable commercial operation.

The problem is it only really works under tier 1 where groups of 6 can mix indoors. Under tier 2 the ban on household mixing indoors does not really work. Unless they shut the concourses, hospitality, 1901 lounges etc and shepherd people straight to the stands. Which makes it even less viable.

It hasn’t been thought through.

It's been thoroughly thought through.

However, you are correct in that the relatively new definition of what tier 2 is, coupled with Brighton subsequently being placed in tier 2, may give the club something else to consider when it comes to concourse usage.

However, I can't imagine that at the club today they're saying "shit - we never considered what we'd do if we couldn't use concourses and concession stands".

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
It's been thoroughly thought through.

However, you are correct in that the relatively new definition of what tier 2 is, coupled with Brighton subsequently being placed in tier 2, may give the club something else to consider when it comes to concourse usage.

However, I can't imagine that at the club today they're saying "shit - we never considered what we'd do if we couldn't use concourses and concession stands".

Sorry- I have no comment to make on the club. I mean the Government haven't thought this through. Opening stadiums under the tier 2 restrictions seems very problematic. As you say- I guess the club do have a plan for Tier 2 opening. It sounds like it will be may be very restrictive, possibly simplest to just open the stands and toilets and leave everything else closed.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
All the concourses are inside, although I imagine doors will be open all ends to create a through draft. In which case, I guess, they are treated like 'pubs' thus a pint has to be with a substantial meal. Is a pie or burger with crisps a substantial meal? I would imagine the club have checked already and hopefully got the go ahead. What about the second pre-match pint, half time or full time pints? All a no no I presume. I trust PB to tell us absolutely everything in regards to what will be available.
Now, where did I put my scarf?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So- the club can have 2000 fans at the game, and you can chose a group for the ballot so that you can go with your mates, but-

under Tier 2 there cannot be any household mixing indoors. So you will have to avoid your group of mates in the concourse, only meeting outdoors to sit together in the stand.

Doesn't really work does it!

Have you actually read the rules

public attendance at spectator sport and business events can resume inside and outside, subject to social contact rules and limited to whichever is lower: 50% capacity, or either 2,000 people outdoors or 1,000 people indoors

The highlighted bit says - Meeting in larger groups is against the law apart from specific exceptions where people from different households can gather in groups.

Ok the specific exceptions link takes you to the current rules but I am sure this will be updated for the new rules

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry- I have no comment to make on the club. I mean the Government haven't thought this through. Opening stadiums under the tier 2 restrictions seems very problematic. As you say- I guess the club do have a plan for Tier 2 opening. It sounds like it will be may be very restrictive, possibly simplest to just open the stands and toilets and leave everything else closed.

The government are giving sport an opportunity to play in front of limited spectators if they can make it work, it's not compulsory. Surely it's better to have that option than not, particularly if taking it helps sport back on the road to bigger crowds in due course?

Stands and toilets only does feel like the safest approach or, maybe, concessions open but all purchases immediately taken to the seats.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Living in Birmingham the villa fans still moaning they were robbed last weekend are now crying that they can't have fans at villa park as in tier 3 and the season is just so unfair on their mighty club....����

There are no more arrogant and up themselves fans in the country than those of Aston Vanilla. Most normal and down to earth Brummies will tend to follow Birmingham City.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also, just to expand on my point about Brighton v Crawley earlier, it’s not just the issue of risk of virus transmission (i.e. 6% capacity v 33% capacity) that’s unfair. It’s the fact that Crawley’s average attendance is only normally about 2,200 anyway, so they will be able to go straight back in at near enough 100% matchday revenue. Many other clubs in all divisions will be taking as little as 1% of their normal matchday revenue. How is that conducive to a fair competition?

The government have no interest in fair competition. They have an interest in allowing as much economic activity as possible whilst keeping a lid on viral spread.

It's down to sport governing bodies how they proceed from here, both from a potential disparity in revenue generation, but also in terms of some clubs having the potential advantage of some supporters for their home games, whilst others are not permitted fans.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The government are giving sport an opportunity to play in front of limited spectators if they can make it work, it's not compulsory. Surely it's better to have that option than not, particularly if taking it helps sport back on the road to bigger crowds in due course?

Stands and toilets only does feel like the safest approach or, maybe, concessions open but all purchases immediately taken to the seats.

:thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But the government has set a precedent in other settings, such as shops. For example, the rules allow a lot more people in to your nearest Tesco superstore than your local newsagents. So why should Old Trafford v Sincil Bank be any different?

I suspect it's as much to do with the use of surrounding infrastructure and public transport, as anything else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here