Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 20 out of 20 managers fail to coach their strikers how to score

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I take your point, however, what about Calvert Lewin at Everton. Ha he suddenly just got better or is it because he has Duncan Ferguson helping him with his game.

Probably both and possibly a number of other factors: personal life, confidence, getting on with other players, greater respect. That is the point that Swansman makes. Vardy hardly played in his first full season with Leicester but suddenly came good.

We tend as fans to think that everything can be controlled because we can control none of it and it is exasperating when things are not right, but it is not that binary. Sure, TB, DA, PB, GP and the rest can control SOME of it, but there is the extra ingredient of uncertainty that makes us human and gives sport, especially, that element of uncertainty that makes it so wonderful and yet so frustrating at the same time.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Pierre-Emerick Aubemeyang only scored five goals for Arsenal this season. The reason is that Mikel Arteta didnt coach Aubameyang how to score.

Keinan Davis got 2 goals in 58 appearances for Aston Villa. The reason must be Dean Smith who didnt coach Davis how to score.
Barnes and Wood only scored 2 & 4 goals for Burnley this season. The reason? Sean Dyche. Not coaching his players in the art of scoring goals.

Timo Werner.. not a lot of goals so far in Chelsea. Because Frank Lampard didnt coach him into scoring them.

Christan Benteke... good thing Roy Hodgson couldnt coach him into scoring goals!

Alex Iwobi. 1 goal in 16 appearances this season in Everton for the winger/striker. Too bad multiple CL winning manager Ancelotti is unable to coach him into scoring.

Player of your choice in Fulham... not many goals, because Scott Parker havent taught them how to score.

Rodrigo was expensive for Leeds but only 3 goals so far. Waste of money as Bielsa failed to coach him into scoring.

Kelechi Icheosomething in Leicester. Ten appearances, 0 goals. If only Rodgers coached him into scoring Leicester might have been top of the table.

Firmino in Liverpool. Only 8 goals last season and only 6 goals in 20 appearances this season. If only they had a competent manager who could teach him how to score.

We could go on but unfortunately I need to go eat some yoghurt. But I guarantee that in every PL team there is one, two, three or sometimes even four strikers who scored very few goals this season, which according to some people on NSC means that there must be 20 completely incompetent managers in the league.

Historically, it looks worryingly similar. Diego Forlan didnt score any goals in United. Because the world is a very simple and binary place, this means Sir Alex Ferguson is shit. Even Arsenal had a couple of strikers who rarely scored. #wengerout

Conclusion: there's never been a competent manager in the PL because in every team there's always been strikers who didnt score a lot. But maybe, just maybe there is a light in the tunnel. I'm sure that you bagged a few ones last time you played in the park. Maybe you are the solution to the everlasting, all-compassing incompetence of Premier League managers?

or maybe football, footballers and humans are a lot more complex than you are able to grasp and you're better of doing some thinking or reading

What utter shite. Nobody has claimed what you are stating you absolute melt [emoji1782]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
My take:

All of the strikers in the PL know how to score goals.

All of the defenders in the PL know how to defend.

All or at least the vast majority of the PL players have had great coaching since pretty much the day they started playing in a club.

The reason why its hard to score goals in the PL is because it is difficult to score goals in the PL.

The reason why its hard not to concede goals in the PL is because it is difficult to defend in the PL.

Bringing in Kevin Phillips or Stanley Matthews or whoever two days a week is not magically going to result in every single Brighton striker scoring 30 goals.

But the mighty Potter is on record as consistently saying he will improve those (strikers) already at the club. He hasn’t. Therefore, criticism of him is wholly deserved.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Of course you're right to an extent.
There's loads of examples where someone- a new coach, a manager, a player - has improved players or teams finishing.
Ancelotti and DCL. Someone in the Arsenal set up during the Wenger years clearly introduced the idea of opening your body and using your in step.
Kane's game has improved this season because Mourinho or a staff member has identified his ability to drop much deeper. He didn't just decide to do that.

So managers and coaches, through coaching and tactics, can improve players. Otherwise what is the point?

Spot on and great examples for the ‘insightful’ Swanny to swallow

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Probably both and possibly a number of other factors: personal life, confidence, getting on with other players, greater respect. That is the point that Swansman makes. Vardy hardly played in his first full season with Leicester but suddenly came good.

We tend as fans to think that everything can be controlled because we can control none of it and it is exasperating when things are not right, but it is not that binary. Sure, TB, DA, PB, GP and the rest can control SOME of it, but there is the extra ingredient of uncertainty that makes us human and gives sport, especially, that element of uncertainty that makes it so wonderful and yet so frustrating at the same time.

Yes, true EXCEPT Swanny decided to criticise totally unjustifiably. Of course there are other factors but good coaches CAN make a difference.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The more successful strikers have three main strengths. Firstly, good positional sense. They know where they want the ball played to and anticipate it. Watch film of them and see them pointing to where they want the ball. Secondly, they play the percentages and work the keeper as much as possible. They shoot low as much as possible. Finally and most importantly, they have an innate ability to stay calm at the crucial moment. They almost seem to slow down in the last split seconds before scoring. Something turns on in their brain. Hundreds and hundreds of hours of training, coupled with self-confidence and something extra that no amount of coaching can ever give you.
Watching Maupay, he has fairly good positional sense but loses composure too often. Wednesday was a prime example. Superbly set up by White and Bissouma, it needed a firm low shot and would probably have been a goal. Instead, he snatched at it and blazed over the bar. Loss of composure at the vital moment. If Maupay had Murray's composure he would get 15 -20 goals in the PL. You could see it in Murray from an early age. I am struggling to see it in Maupay.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The more successful strikers have three main strengths. Firstly, good positional sense. They know where they want the ball played to and anticipate it. Watch film of them and see them pointing to where they want the ball. Secondly, they play the percentages and work the keeper as much as possible. They shoot low as much as possible. Finally and most importantly, they have an innate ability to stay calm at the crucial moment. They almost seem to slow down in the last split seconds before scoring. Something turns on in their brain. Hundreds and hundreds of hours of training, coupled with self-confidence and something extra that no amount of coaching can ever give you.
Watching Maupay, he has fairly good positional sense but loses composure too often. Wednesday was a prime example. Superbly set up by White and Bissouma, it needed a firm low shot and would probably have been a goal. Instead, he snatched at it and blazed over the bar. Loss of composure at the vital moment. If Maupay had Murray's composure he would get 15 -20 goals in the PL. You could see it in Murray from an early age. I am struggling to see it in Maupay.

Can it be coached into Maupay tho? Muzza back after his Forest escapade (TBC) as striker coach would make sense IMHO

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
So reading this and various other threads GP is not responsible for coaching and improving the strikers, not responsible for defensive errors at corners, not to blame for confidence issues. I could go on. If that is the case could we save money and not employ him?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So reading this and various other threads GP is not responsible for coaching and improving the strikers, not responsible for defensive errors at corners, not to blame for confidence issues. I could go on. If that is the case could we save money and not employ him?

Could turn that question around as well: if its all in the coach hands, why sign footballers for £20m?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Bringing in Kevin Phillips or Stanley Matthews or whoever two days a week is not magically going to result in every single Brighton striker scoring 30 goals.

Have agreed with everything else you’ve said bar this I do think we should have a bespoke finishing coach. I’m not saying it will turn Maupay et al into 30 goal a season striker but it would undoubtedly help.

I can’t see Billy Reid leathering a ball at a goalie in a John Smith’s advert style shouting ‘Ave it! As a suitable alternative...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Another good example. Bielsa transformed Bamford

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Then why are you so obsessed with signing players all the time then?

Because we don’t have a Bamford!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here