Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£2 online booking fee. Views?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I can understand Ticketmaster and the like charging these fees; that is how they make money, they don't put on the show. On the other hand BHAFC is putting on the show, so these could easily be incorporated in the price of the (already expensive) ticket.

Still, maybe this online system does cost that much to build, host and maintain, and has to be paid for somehow.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
From the Liverpool site for the Carling Cup tickets Vs Us.

Supporters can purchase one ticket per qualifying Fan Card and a maximum of FOUR per transaction. Please note there will be a 90 pence per ticket booking fee for credit card transactions on the telephone and at the Ticket Office window, and a £2.50 per ticket booking fee for online transactions.

And we moan about the £2 per total transaction on line charges.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
From the Liverpool site for the Carling Cup tickets Vs Us.

Supporters can purchase one ticket per qualifying Fan Card and a maximum of FOUR per transaction. Please note there will be a 90 pence per ticket booking fee for credit card transactions on the telephone and at the Ticket Office window, and a £2.50 per ticket booking fee for online transactions.

And we moan about the £2 per total transaction on line charges.

Today I bought 3 L'pool and 2 Leicester tkts for myself and others from the stadium shop and didn't pay a penny in fees. Not only that but was able to visit Dick's Bar with daughter and grandson (the only time he'll be there in the next 17 years). I see they're building a new bar area to relieve some of the crowding - not sure when it'll be ready though.

Mowgli

Sep 18, 2008
Brighton
I dont mind paying a £2 fee when a ticket is posted to me. However, I have a smartcard so if I buy a ticket, it now gets electronically loaded onto my card, so no postage. So that is a bit crap.

This.

The other problem I have (not read through the whole thread so may have been mentioned) is that the club seem to be releasing for sale in a 'online only' perioed of 4+ days before you can buy in person and because of my work hours, I find it very difficult to get to the club shop (as I'm sure a problem most have on here too) so I pretty much have to use either the online system or phone booking to get a ticket, especially with this 'no away tickets on sale Queens Road shop, have to buy from the stadium' crap.

Aug 21, 2011
Booked a stadium tour over the phone and got charged £2.00 booking fee. However for this they don't send any tickets so fee can't be for postage costs as was previously used to justify cost.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Booked a stadium tour over the phone and got charged £2.00 booking fee. However for this they don't send any tickets so fee can't be for postage costs as was previously used to justify cost.

This is ridiculous. Surely a mistake?

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
Really cannot see any justification, in the principle, of charging the £2.00 to STH's with a Smart Card for simply adding an electronic instruction to the card just to allow entry to the Amex for a non-league game. There is no work or postage invlolved so an unjustified charge IMO.

However, I am glad that it is only £2.00 but even that could add up to an extra £78.00 over the season (I think) if you were to attend all the cup and away games.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
can't be arse to keep asking The Insider, as he is being selective with his responses.

Sorry but your friend is totally wrong, season ticket holders had until 12th September to secure their seat as follows - and tickets go on general sale TODAY (to those with 60 LP or more).

Season ticket holders had the following options:
ONLINE ONLY - 31st August - 5th September
ALL METHODS - 5th September - 12th September

So if you had wanted to avoid the booking fee, you could buy over the counter between 5th and 12th September.

I have explained the £2 booking fee - and your comments above are completely wrong, it is not a "stealth revenue raising exercise" - when all costs are taking into account, the club still subsidises the overall costs associated with the online/phone transactions as opposed to over-the-counter transactions. If you don't wish to accept this, or if you still have any concerns regarding this I suggest you put them in writing to:

Ken Brown
Managing Director
Brighton & Hove Albion
The American Express Community Stadium
Village Way
Brighton BN1 9BL

If you cc me I will ensure you get a response.

Nothing about why the information that went up on website for the Liverpool tickets was wrong (and later amended) or why it costs the club more to process online transaction, as opposed to offline transactions.... must be the only business in the world that this happens to.

Also how do you cc someone when you write a letter to the managing director?? Do I send a copy of the letter to "The Insider" at the ground, or send it to the managing director and hope he passes on the copy to Insider, so the Insider can chase him up?? Or did he mean email, but not enclude his email address, or is the Insider so famous, am I meant to know his name and position at the club... again, as clear as mud.

Actually Mr Burns - I find your little campaign very boring.............

There is so much good going on and yet you find it necessary to renew this thread and test insiders patience for a THIRD time.

Please just go and enjoy the football

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Actually Mr Burns - I find your little campaign very boring.............

There is so much good going on and yet you find it necessary to renew this thread and test insiders patience for a THIRD time.

Please just go and enjoy the football
Why am I testing his patience? How am I testing this patience by renewing this thread? I said I cant't be arse to post ask the club on this issuer any more, as you cannot respond, and he can say what he likes, and avoid the parts he doesn't.

The club are taking the piss with this fee, and should justifty it, but his resposes dont address the questions.

You name me one business, other than football (and maybe Brighton) that charges for online services, but not in person transactions.

Even Seagulls Travel charge a booking fee when you interact with a member or staff, but not for online transactions.

If they charged for both, fine they could use the "cost of software" line, but every company in the world that is online as "software" costs, but don't chagre for the privilge for buying online. Could you imagine HMV charging a £2 "booking fee" (which he has said is due ot the cost of the site) every time you buy a DVD online!! Off course they wouldn't. But I bet you there software isn't free either.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why am I testing his patience? How am I testing this patience by renewing this thread? I said I cant't be arse to post ask the club on this issuer any more, as you cannot respond, and he can say what he likes, and avoid the parts he doesn't.

The club are taking the piss with this fee, and should justifty it, but his resposes dont address the questions.

You name me one business, other than football (and maybe Brighton) that charges for online services, but not in person transactions.

Even Seagulls Travel charge a booking fee when you interact with a member or staff, but not for online transactions.

If they charged for both, fine they could use the "cost of software" line, but every company in the world that is online as "software" costs, but don't chagre for the privilge for buying online. Could you imagine HMV charging a £2 "booking fee" (which he has said is due ot the cost of the site) every time you buy a DVD online!! Off course they wouldn't. But I bet you there software isn't free either.

Er any major ticket website? Ticketmaster, Seetickets etc etc

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

I think the question you maybe need to ask is, name me another business who charges if you buy via a third party supplier rather than direct face to face.

In which case the answer will be most theatres - Brighton Centre etc where you get a charge buying by ticketmaster rather than at the box office.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Er any major ticket website? Ticketmaster, Seetickets etc etc
But this is not a third party website. The booking fee on those, are to pay for the business that runs the site. We are not paying ticketmaster, seetickets etc, you are paying and being charged by Brighton & Hove Albion Football CLub.

We are not sent tickets, whereas with teh others you are, and that needs staff to pack the tickets.

Our system is completely automated, and compeltey different to the main ticket suppliers.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But this is not a third party website. The booking fee on those, are to pay for the business that runs the site. We are not paying ticketmaster, seetickets etc, you are paying and being charged by Brighton & Hove Albion Football CLub.

We are not sent tickets, whereas with teh others you are, and that needs staff to pack the tickets.

Our system is completely automated, and compeltey different to the main ticket suppliers.

Arsenal charge a booking fee I think

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its a £2 fee per transaction ffs, hardly taking the piss. HMV might have coded something themsleves or brought a different package with different cost structure. most businesses simply add in the CC charges, but its well known that if you go to some shops (like electrical retailers on Tottenham Court rd) they will give a 2.5% discount for cash because they dont have to pay the fees. Insider has given alot of feedback, more than others would (i know of another group that dont like or understand visable CC charge and the questions are simply ignored). the likly resolution to this is for the club to start charing at the ticket office - im sure everyone will be happy with this campaign if that happens.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But this is not a third party website...

You can bet your life that the online booking site wasn't developed and isn't run by the Albion. It's patently an off-the-shelf package.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
You can bet your life that the online booking site wasn't developed and isn't run by the Albion. It's patently an off-the-shelf package.
Off course it is off the shelf. But my businesses (as many do) use off the shelf software, and I know it costs.

But I dont charge a "booking fee". Its all part of running costs.

My problem is the only charge it online, and not offline. Whereas offline transactions cost a lot more to process, as in addition to the booking system, they have premises and staff costs to pay for. So why not charge it offline, where the costs are much much higher. Simple, Because online sales far outweigh offline sales, so they wouldn't raise money if they did it the other way around, therefore its a fund raising venture.

Yes I know they have to pay for software, but what would you do if you went into the shop, went up to the till, and was charged £2 "purchase fee" ... "becuase we have to pay for the tills and counter, and the software to run the tills and stock control". Its the same principal. Just because its the "done thing" doesn't make it correct, and its even worse with Brighton IMO because of the smartcards.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I dont think some people appreciate just how good the IRIS software package is, to have something this good it costs and there is no getting away from this. If we were to go with a 'homemade' package I can assure you that the same people would moan about how crap it is - You cant have both unless someone pays for it!

I dont know any club/organisation which uses third party software and does not pass the costs onto their customers. One thing which pisses me off, which I find far worse than the scenario in discussion is the fee I need to Pay Virgin when I book flights using my American Express Virgin Atlantic Card!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here