Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2 grand a year worse off............

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
As gas and electricity are companies privatised by the Thatcher Governments, food producers are private companies and building societies are also private companies, how exactly are all these price increases the responsibility of Gordon Brown or his (admittedly crap) Labour government.

These are private companies in a market/capitalist economy whose purpose is to maximise profits. If you're a Tory, you should understand and support this, not whinge about the government.

If Brown intervened to stop these price increases, you'd be the first to complain about government interference and meddling.

I'm genuinely sorry that you are strapped for cash, but this is the free market which you Tories worship.

SPOT ON. Good on that man.

I'm backing Brown. He doesn't show much of a personality.. So what? He's a Prime Minister not a stand up comic. Smartest PM since McMillian. I don't like the way he forced Blair out of office, as despite Iraq and all, I think we were doing quite well - domestically at least.
Vote Labour, vote Brown.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For people on pensions etc the government says thata married couple need £187.70 per week to live on, so witth the new increases which came in immediately by EDF of approx £2 per week does this government figurefor requirement get changed.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland

I'm backing Brown. He doesn't show much of a personality.. So what? He's a Prime Minister not a stand up comic. Smartest PM since McMillian. I don't like the way he forced Blair out of office, as despite Iraq and all, I think we were doing quite well - domestically at least.
Vote Labour, vote Brown.

Spot On and Spot On again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Vote Labour, vote Brown.

I second this. I think he is doing a good job in very difficult economic circumstances.

I dread to think what would happen if Cameron was running the country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Me and the missus have worked out we are £2000/year worse off than this time last year with the rise in
Gas
Electric
Council Tax
Fuel
Food
Mortgage rate rises

And i can only see it getting worse.
That's why i can't afford to go to my beloved Brighton and Hove Albion.

:rant::rant::rant::rant:

How about you?

Who do you blame.???

Has the cost of food gone up significantly? Can you give an example?

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Has the cost of food gone up significantly? Can you give an example?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/15/nfood115.xml

Food cost increase adds £750 to annual bill

By James Kirkup, Political Correspondent
Last Updated: 2:29am GMT 16/01/2008

"...........A kilo bag of frozen peas at Tesco went up from £1.19 at the end of 2006 to £1.79 at the end of last year.

A 500g bag of parsnips cost £1.76 at Asda at the end of last year compared to 98p a year earlier, while Tesco has increased the price of 2.5kilos of Maris Piper potatoes from £1.78 to £2.18.

A dozen free-range eggs from Sainsbury's rose from £1.62 to £2.35, and Asda increased the price of its orange juice from 73p a litre to 88p.

Meat prices are rising particularly quickly. The ONS said the price of beef, pork and lamb products increased by 3.7 per cent in December alone.

Figures compiled by the Meat Trades Journal show the average retail price of English beef has increased by 14.9 per cent in five years. English lamb rose by 10.3 per cent......."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As gas and electricity are companies privatised by the Thatcher Governments, food producers are private companies and building societies are also private companies, how exactly are all these price increases the responsibility of Gordon Brown or his (admittedly crap) Labour government.

These are private companies in a market/capitalist economy whose purpose is to maximise profits. If you're a Tory, you should understand and support this, not whinge about the government.

If Brown intervened to stop these price increases, you'd be the first to complain about government interference and meddling.

I'm genuinely sorry that you are strapped for cash, but this is the free market which you Tories worship.

I thought Thatcher said that the private sector can do things better and cheaper than the public sector...and also competition will bring prices down?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/15/nfood115.xml

Food cost increase adds £750 to annual bill

By James Kirkup, Political Correspondent
Last Updated: 2:29am GMT 16/01/2008

"...........A kilo bag of frozen peas at Tesco went up from £1.19 at the end of 2006 to £1.79 at the end of last year.

A 500g bag of parsnips cost £1.76 at Asda at the end of last year compared to 98p a year earlier, while Tesco has increased the price of 2.5kilos of Maris Piper potatoes from £1.78 to £2.18.

A dozen free-range eggs from Sainsbury's rose from £1.62 to £2.35, and Asda increased the price of its orange juice from 73p a litre to 88p.

Meat prices are rising particularly quickly. The ONS said the price of beef, pork and lamb products increased by 3.7 per cent in December alone.

Figures compiled by the Meat Trades Journal show the average retail price of English beef has increased by 14.9 per cent in five years. English lamb rose by 10.3 per cent......."

Fair enough but I am always a little sceptical about supermarket pricing. They seem to charge what they can get away with. I read an article about how the price of lamb in the supermarket has risen steadily but the price paid to the farmer had plumeted....and the increasing margin is above and beyond what can be attributed to fuel costs.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
In some respects we are better off to be honest. We play the insurance/telephone/gas and electricity companies off against each other and are on better deals than we were this time last year. We've cut our grocery bills by growing alot of our own, we walk more than we drive (we have old cars anyhow which are on the most as economical as your current models) and if and when we do go to a supermarket - we try to be as savvy as possible with what we buy, 2 for 1 isn't always exactly that!!

Most of the "household" costs are provided by private companies, if you're willing to spend the time on the phone or the net and play them off on each other - you'll save a bit here and there which adds up nicely....We have also been known to fill up a certain car to the brim when we see a cheap petrol deal, or use the 5p off a litre that some of the big supermarkets do....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's all our own faults for continuing to put up with overpriced, underacheiving services and products.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here