Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1st Away Game Experience

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Woking away, FA Cup second round replay in December 1992. Trevor Senior scored very early on for them. We eventually won 2-1, Football Genius scored when the ball deflected off his arse into the goal.

Robbie Pethick :dunce:

L.B. Is that Bobby Smith in the picture you posted.....later to grace the Goldstone Ground?

It is indeed. That's a photo of the moment that Smith knocked Newport County goalkeeper Len Weare out cold. There were no substitutes in those days, so they simply gave Weare a nostril full of smelling salts and he got up and carried on playing.

The other Newport player in the picture - Ray Wilcox - dislocated his elbow 10 minutes into the game and had to be taken off to hospital for treatment.

Football was a game for hard men in those days.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
First ever away game was at swindon must be getting on for 40 years ago,i remember seeing a welsh flag at thier ground and for many years after just assumed i had been to wales. lucky me

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I can't remember watching the Albion away before but was at that one with my dad, didn't Luton have a decent player named French?

Luton had a decent side with bruce rioch and chris nicholls, who later played at the top level, and experinced players like keen & Sheffield. they just missed out on a double promotion but were to go up the next season and we were just to miss out.

That next season, my 2nd visit to Luton, really was a memorable game both on & off the pitch.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Mine? Mine was back when we still had Zamora, I believe it was the season we won the Division 2 title. Peterbrough away, my Uncle lives up there and has supported them since moving there after the Falklands. Although I had to sit in the PEterbrough end, I still celebrated when we went 1-0 up :clap2:

I'm pretty sure that was my first away game too, it was a party atmosphere when we were all but promoted. Didn't Gary Hart break his leg in that game?

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
My Old Man took me to Millwall away in about 1975, at the Old Den.

We very wisely sat in the seats.

Cant remember the score but recall a lot of very colourful language all around, and we played in the all white strip of the time.

Luton had a decent side with bruce rioch and chris nicholls, who later played at the top level, and experinced players like keen & Sheffield. they just missed out on a double promotion but were to go up the next season and we were just to miss out.

That next season, my 2nd visit to Luton, really was a memorable game both on & off the pitch.

Doh! - fancy forgetting those two. I think the player I did manage to remember was Bruce French.

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
1979 - Newcastle away - won 3-1 - 3-0 up at half time. oh yes and we got promoted to the old div 1. brilliant day!

Vic's Stick

Nov 18, 2009
September 1975 - Crystal Palace away midweek league game.

Can remember the rain sweeping in past the floodlights. There was 25,000 plus and I went up with my Dad. Because of weather and traffic we arrived ten minutes after kick off and dad got two tickets for middle of Palace grandstand (!).

Soon as we sat down dad asked the guy next to him what score was and he replied "1-0 Brighton" (Barry Butlin scored, apparently), My dad shouted out "YES !" and punched the air. This attracted much unwanted attention and we sat in silence for next 80 minutes as Albion defended desperately and we clung on to a 1-0 win. Happy Days !

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
away to Chelsea in 65 ? I think, we lost 4-1, the ground was packed and did not get in till half time as the BHA fans broke the gate to get in, remember being at the top of the shed end and could not see a thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here