Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1st Away Game Experience

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Cricky it could have been as it was in January, so just after the final would have been, but I can't say I can remember that. My memory of the game was seeing John Wark, dunno why.

It was deffo that game,Deller was a local lad.
Btw we had just beaten Newcastle Utd in midweek on the 3ed round replay of the cup.
Regaring Wark, every time their fans sang his name they used to bang the dividing fence between us,that is why it probably sticks in your memory.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
Palace, Boxing Day(?) early 80's when the palace fan got stabbed and the coaches were not allowed to leave until the police had searched them all. I think we won (dont remember the game at all), but I was more concerned about getting home unscathed than anything else. I remember the walk from the away end to the coach at the other end of the ground at the end of the match was not the most pleasant experience I have ever had!!

One of the more memorable away trips was an evening kick off at Wimbledon at Plough Lane in 1984, when the crowd was 3000 and 2000 of those were Brighton!! We still lost though (1-0, Alan Cork, I think).

that Palace game was boxing day '83 , it was my second away game and i only saw half of it.... my first away game was Watford the previous season

dal

Oct 8, 2006
redhill
palace away fac 1st round reply 1976 was about 30000 at selhurst awesome atmosphere was 1-1 if i recall.i only started supporting albion as my next door neighbour was palace.i obviously i didnt like him.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
My first was Boxing Day 1976 losing 1-0 away to Portsmouth. the year we got promoted from Division 3 as it then was. I don't remember much about the game but have a vague (probably wrong) memory that Fozzie was playing for them (as a centre forward?)

I think you've got the date wrong. It was the season we got promoted to the 1st division which makes it 1978-9. I remember it as - to my shame - its the only Albion game I've ever left early when we were 3-0 down, so I missed Horton's penalty; right at the end.

No, he has got the right date, both games were in the 76/77 season. We lost 3-1 to Palace on 12/03/77 and it was my second away game, the first being the 1-0 defeat away to Pompey on Boxing day 1976. Not a great start to my away trips watching the Albion.
:(

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
gillingham away...mid 80s....eve match too. got asked if i was carrying any celery by a nice kent copper...hm..i was a young lass...did i look dodgy?? i did however recall having a huge bolt in my jacket that id picked up off the road that day (er..no, not sure why) maybe thats my only time i entered a ground with an offensive weapon...oh no..praps not..i did take a palace fan to withdean last season!!!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
16 April 1969, I believe.

Lost 3-0 at Luton, ground was a dump (hasn't changed much) and there was barely a blade of grass on a dustbowl of a pitch. Really noticed how poor & defencive we were too, not like the attacking and fearless Albion of home.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Leicester away in 1978, if memory serves we got hammered 4-1, but I had the last laugh as my third away trip was Newcastle '79 in the same season. The one and only season my Dad took me to any away games....

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
No, he has got the right date, both games were in the 76/77 season. We lost 3-1 to Palace on 12/03/77 and it was my second away game, the first being the 1-0 defeat away to Pompey on Boxing day 1976. Not a great start to my away trips watching the Albion.
:(

Yes, you are right we did lose that season to them 3-1, but that wasn't the game when Horton got the penalty. Rollings scored in that game (I just looked it up in Carder/Harris !). Horton's goal was in the 3-1 defeat at Smellhurst in October 1978.

16 April 1969, I believe.

Lost 3-0 at Luton, ground was a dump (hasn't changed much) and there was barely a blade of grass on a dustbowl of a pitch. Really noticed how poor & defencive we were too, not like the attacking and fearless Albion of home.

I can't remember watching the Albion away before but was at that one with my dad, didn't Luton have a decent player named French?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Not unlike the first away game of lots of kids last Saturday, I guess.

A train trip with my dad to a big fourth round FA Cup match. A great day out, a HUGE stadium, and a defeat that didn't spoil anything. I was 9.

Tottenham Hotspur 4 Newport County 1. I can still remember every detail of Ken Hollyman's goal for Newport. It was VERY muddy.

county_past20.jpg

L.B. Is that Bobby Smith in the picture you posted.....later to grace the Goldstone Ground?

Essan128

Aug 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand.
1972, last away game of the season and we won 2-1.

I think we finnished runners up that season to...... Aston Villa. Old third division.

I was 14 at the time and I remember the Brighton supporters gate crashing to get in, I just followed them in for free!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here