Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1st Away Game Experience

Playing On The Grit

Twitter: @leighjcooper
Apr 2, 2008
Mine was at Orient for Peter Shilton's 1000th game.

The only things I remember are the wind playing havoc with the red carpet they had laid out for Shilton to walk on for a presentation before the game and George Parris having an absolute shocker. I'm not sure he ever played for the Albion again after that?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Remember this one. It was the season before the rivalry really kicked in and there was only about 5,000 there. We scored very early in the game, if memory serves me correctly an on loan journeyman striker Barry Butlin scored the goal??
Yeah, I think we did score early, it was a midweek game wasn't it? I mainly remember it because it was the first time I'd been to Selhurst Park as an away fan, on my previous visits I'd supported Palace!

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
Mine was at brentford 98/99.We lost 2-0 and both goals were set up/scored by our right back Glen Thomas.Some of the worst defending I have ever seen!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
12.3.1977 away at Selhurst Park. We lost 3-1. No idea why my Mum and Dad thought this was a good first away game! Police lined up in front of us and we couldn't see very well. Horton scored a penalty. Got in for nothing (as did my two sisters) as passed over the turnstyle due to the crush in the walk way up to the entrances, all the "kids" were let in for free due to the problems outside and they just wanted us in safely!

We were in the end where Sainsburys now stands, wasnt it called the White Horse end or something similar? I remember a wall half way down, but we opted to stand at the very front!

2nd away game was Palace away the following season and then we started going to a few more each season from the 1978-79 onwards and now I still cant kick the habit!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
My first was Boxing Day 1976 losing 1-0 away to Portsmouth. the year we got promoted from Division 3 as it then was. I don't remember much about the game but have a vague (probably wrong) memory that Fozzie was playing for them (as a centre forward?)

12.3.1977 away at Selhurst Park. We lost 3-1. No idea why my Mum and Dad thought this was a good first away game! Police lined up in front of us and we couldn't see very well. Horton scored a penalty!

I think you've got the date wrong. It was the season we got promoted to the 1st division which makes it 1978-9. I remember it as - to my shame - its the only Albion game I've ever left early when we were 3-0 down, so I missed Horton's penalty; right at the end.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Kingstonian away in the Fa Cup, utterly shit day alround.

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
Southend in the 70s. Sat safely in the stand with my old man and my kid brothers, hearing rumours about the train getting smashed up on the way from Brighton :ohmy:

Luckily we had travelled in the old man's brand new Austin Maxi and were staying the weekend with some people in Rayleigh.

It was Easter and in those days we used to play the likes of Southend home and away over the Easter weekend. They ought to do that now.

I think that was Good Friday 1974, which was my first away game too, I was staying with relatives in Great Wakering and i think watched game from the home terrace which is now the away end.

We won 2-0 and then lost to Southend 2-0 at the Goldstone on the Easter monday, I agree we should do the home and away fixtures over Easter (and Xmas) again.

Also remember that this game was during Brian Cloughs managership.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
1983 FA Cup Semi Final at Highbury.

Can't remember the score though :dunce:

I am offically a glory hunter

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
Remember this one. It was the season before the rivalry really kicked in and there was only about 5,000 there. We scored very early in the game, if memory serves me correctly an on loan journeyman striker Barry Butlin scored the goal??

The crowd would have been around 20000 in those day's.Night game I think,:dunce:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Kelvin Morton V Brighton at Selhurst Park.

I've still got the programe, it must be at least 20 years ago.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Close but no cigar. That tie is Albion folklore and shame on you for not getting it right. Two replays, second game at Palace and the third at Stamford Bridge where we had a legit goal disallowed and Graham Cross penalised for encroachment cost us a goal from the penalty spot. Soon followed by Mullery's gesture to the Palace scum and Ron Challis probably never setting foot in Sussex again!!!!

Christ I'm getting old :down:

When you get to a certain age some of the memories remain crystal clear but the others all blur into one :lolol:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Was that the game where Keith Deller came on to the pitch at half time to show the trophy that he had won after beating Bristow in the final the previous weekend?

Cricky it could have been as it was in January, so just after the final would have been, but I can't say I can remember that. My memory of the game was seeing John Wark, dunno why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here