Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1st Ashes Test Australia v England - Brisbane

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Far, far too much triumphalism yesterday...' England on top...England's day...if we can get 450, we can win this Test...we are going to win 4-0 etc etc.
Facts.....
1) Australia were 132-6 and should have been bowled out for less than 200.
2) England's top order were carried through the summer by Ian Bell.
3) The Aussie bowlers are quicker and more hostile than ours.
4) KP will regularly get out at critical times.
5) Trott can't play the short ball ( not ideal for a no.3 )
6) Prior will regularly get 0 when the chips are down ( flat-track bully and technically deficient )
7) England are bigged up as this multi-talented side but in essence are quite ordinary. They have been flattered by the absence of real competition, South Africa and India ( at home ) excepted.
8) They have committed the cardinal sin of allowing Australia to wrest the initiative at the beginning of the series ( with some very poor batting ) and now face a big uphill struggle.

Ah well. At least its not all bad.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Fair play to Australia.....but that was pretty shit from England. FFS!!!

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
good chance of rain over the next 2 days....., this is not the start I was looking for, copping serious shit on all sides here.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
That was a rancid display of batting.

What a load of frauds our batsmen are. Supposedly Flower is a meticulous planner, the best in the business, so why do we continue to make appalling starts to series abroad, particularly the batsmen??

Why have we got a huge army of backroom staff, what are they doing?? The players get everythng done for them down to a rediculous 80 something page document on the food they should be prepared, it's about time they were told to man up, take some personal responsibility for their game and not rely on others around them.

Personally I'd send them home.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I said all along playing Mitch was clutching at straws. He may revert to type after this. The plus side is that was brilliant cricket today and great use of Johnson with flat out 3-4 over spells. Looking forward to the series more from this position.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think people have made too much of the 3-0 series earlier this year. The other two were rained off when it looked like Australia would win. If not for weather it would have been 3-2, which is less dominant. Perhaps there's complacency in the England team because of the hype.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think people have made too much of the 3-0 series earlier this year. The other two were rained off when it looked like Australia would win. If not for weather it would have been 3-2, which is less dominant. Perhaps there's complacency in the England team because of the hype.

You can't suggest that the above is FACT. Only bad light prevented it finishing 4-0.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Good to see England have got over their first innings of the series issue :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You can't suggest that the above is FACT. Only bad light prevented it finishing 4-0.

Maybe I'm misremembering the second draw, but I strongly remember one of the draws being rained off when Australia were looking like they would win. I did remember it as both the draws going that way, but if one was bad light I bow to your memory. However, if they had won the one I remember as being rained off while they were looking good for a win, maybe it would have given them a bit more confidence, some momentum and the rest of the series might have played out differently.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Maybe I'm misremembering the second draw, but I strongly remember one of the draws being rained off when Australia were looking like they would win. I did remember it as both the draws going that way, but if one was bad light I bow to your memory. However, if they had won the one I remember as being rained off while they were looking good for a win, maybe it would have given them a bit more confidence, some momentum and the rest of the series might have played out differently.

The first one was as you remember. The second (the last Test of the series) was a bit of both. Australia were in a strong position, but weather took some time out of the game, meaning that rather than batting England out of it, Clarke was forced to set up a sporting run chase. England surprised him by batting brilliantly and would have succeeded in pulling off a world record run chase (and a 4-0 series result) but for an utterly farcical end, when the umpires were forced to bring them off by the mental regulations. I'm amazed you don't remember it!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The first one was as you remember. The second (the last Test of the series) was a bit of both. Australia were in a strong position, but weather took some time out of the game, meaning that rather than batting England out of it, Clarke was forced to set up a sporting run chase. England surprised him by batting brilliantly and would have succeeded in pulling off a world record run chase (and a 4-0 series result) but for an utterly farcical end, when the umpires were forced to bring them off by the mental regulations. I'm amazed you don't remember it!

I have only a passing interest in cricket, so don't necessarily remember things like that. It's only that it's so recent that I remember the series at all. But now you describe it, I am starting to remember it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We even played Kerrigan at The Oval to give them a fighting chance and they still couldn't win.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Particularly annoyed by Prior's first ball dismissal. It really is time he stopped thinking he’s still billy big b******s and knuckled down! He has had a truly shocking summer with the bat with England and Sussex, that looks to be continuing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Particularly annoyed by Prior's first ball dismissal. It really is time he stopped thinking he’s still billy big b******s and knuckled down! He has had a truly shocking summer with the bat with England and Sussex, that looks to be continuing.

2 hip high, leg side nothing balls from Lyons takes out our middle order in consecutive balls. Absolutely woeful.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Don't worry - the Aussies will be all out for 87, with “27 Year old English medium pace bowler” taking 9-6. England will need 246 to win and will stumble to 102-7. “27 year old England all rounder” will then hit a blistering Century, taking 23 off one Mitchell Johnson over and see England over the line in a partnership with Graeme Swann.

The Brisbane Mail Courier will then be widely blamed by all Australia for geeing Stuart Broad up sales will plummet and it will go out of business by the end of next week!!

All good!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Don't worry - the Aussies will be all out for 87, with “27 Year old English medium pace bowler” taking 9-6. England will need 246 to win and will stumble to 102-7. “27 year old England all rounder” will then hit a blistering Century, taking 23 off one Mitchell Johnson over and see England over the line in a partnership with Graeme Swann.

The Brisbane Mail Courier will then be widely blamed by all Australia for geeing Stuart Broad up sales will plummet and it will go out of business by the end of next week!!

All good!

I don't suppose you no what tonight's lottery numbers are going to be ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here