Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1991 Play-off Final team

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Can anyone remember the Albion team that played against Notts County in the play-off final at Wembley?

I have a feeling John Byrne and Mike Small were both on the bench? Memories fading now I have hit the big 4-0.

My only two over-riding memories of that day at Wembley were that ginger tosser Tommy Johnson scoring against us, and Dean Wilkins scoring our consolation and crying after the game, like most of the rest of us (crying that is, not scoring!):p

Why can I remember the FA Cup Final team years earlier but not the play-off final team - something to do with my sub-concious erasing it from my memory? Or one too many :drink: taking effect?!?!?

The Tassie Seagull

Dave Clarkson's Left Sock
My hazy recollection is that the team was:
Diggers, Chivers, Gatts, Iovan, Pates, Bissett,
Zimmer, Codpeice, Wendy, Barham
Small.

Small started, Byrne on the bench as he wasn't fit from the Ipswich game when he got injured so Wendy scored the Free kick to take us to the play offs. Chappers other sub.

Memories, Memories

Stumpy Tim

Bit harsh to call Wendy's goal a scramble! It was a well worked goal with Byrne's dummy being rifled in from 10 yards. Chapman had a great game that day, but Tommy Johnson was just too good for us on the day

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
we didnt deserve to be their,mind the play offs we did play well,we were so many points behind the other teams,wernt we if i recall? and the performance that day was like most that season very iffy!!!!!still great day out

Stumpy Tim

Didn't we end up with a negative goal difference that season? I remember the first day of the season the following season. We got stuffed by Tranmere. County played Man Utd at Old Trafford. Gutted

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
empire said:
we didnt deserve to be their,mind the play offs we did play well,we were so many points behind the other teams,wernt we if i recall? and the performance that day was like most that season very iffy!!!!!still great day out

We finished 6th(i think), but as three went up automatically that season we weren't the last placed play off team. Although we did sneak in by the skin of our teeth I'm fairly confident we broke 70 points which is around what you need every season.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
We did Stumpy. Scored 63, conceded 69.

70 points it was. 1 less and we wouldn't have been in the play-offs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We finished above Middlesbrough that season. Did they not deserve to be in the Playoffs either that year ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's strange, as although I was there I have absolutely no recollection of the game. I can remember the journeys & pre match jitters, etc, but not a single ball being kicked.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
ah the tranmere game,we lost 3-0 didnt we,or 4-1?,couldnt believe the attendance,first game of new season,tranmere had hardly any fans,just after taking over 30000 to the hollowed turf and we manage just over 9000:nono:at the goldstone ,who said we had no glory fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:censored:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think Tranmere done us 2-0, with both goals coming from the (newly signed) John Aldridge, which was quite a coup for them at the time. It was also the debut season of the Andy Pandy kit.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My mum's boyfriend did the eggiest fart i've ever caught a whiff of while we were in the queue for tickets at Brighton station. He laughed so much that he had to lie on the ground.
That's the main thing i remember. That, and the underground being packed as we left, dejected. I saw a few mates crammed onto the train. The doors closed, their faces pressed up against the glass. They wiggled their eyebrows goodbye.

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
I had to travel home to Nottingham by train after the final. That was one of the most miserable journeys I have ever made. I'd had enough by Loughbrough, and got off early, seeking alternative methods of getting home.:nono:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Easy 10 said:
I think Tranmere done us 2-0, with both goals coming from the (newly signed) John Aldridge, which was quite a coup for them at the time. It was also the debut season of the Andy Pandy kit.

Yep it was 2-0. My first ever game at the Goldstone, although how that experience got me hooked I'll never know.
I remember seeing the Play-off final coverage after getting home from the match and in an interview Dean Wilkins said that we lost 3-0, completely forgetting the goal that HE had scored :lolol:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Wembley on the coach, with the rest of the junior seagulls, can't remember the game at all. Gutted really don't get to see the mighty albion much at wembley do ya

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Easy is right it was 2-0 against Tranmere.

Also Countys second goal was from a Corner. The Linesman said it came of Chivers. It didnt it came off a county player.

Therefore we were f***ed up by the officials as County scored fronm the corner which put us with a mountain to climb as we were 2 down at that point.

At 1-0 we were in with a shout thanks to crap officials we were 2 down. Barham hit the post as well.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here