Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1989 Cup Final - A horrible confession..

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Frutos said:
Yes.

We were battering Watford either 4-1 or 4-0 at the time, and Palace were playing Stoke. Dave Beasant was in goal for us that day.

I'm sure it was only 3-0 at the time as it was midway through the second half. We went on to win 4-0 and am sure the 4th was very late on

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Anyone that has ever wanted the SCUM to ever win a game ever IS NOT a Brighton fan.

That is a fact. :censored:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Grumpy Sourpuss said:
Anyone that has ever wanted the SCUM to ever win a game ever IS NOT a Brighton fan.

That is a fact. :censored:
agreed... there have been some attempts at justification on this thread but none have been anything other than utterly unconvincing...

I cannot imagine any realistic circumstances in which this abomination could come to pass...

obviously if them beating someone meant we went up / stayed up then I would look out for the result and hope it had gone in our favour - but I wouldn't attend the match and support the Palace scum

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The Wookiee said:
Are you being serious ?

You as a Brighton fan are asking why Palarse are our rivals
:nono:

Yes, very serious actually.

I've been a Brighton fan since the early sixties. Season ticket holder for six years. Probably go to nine or ten away games every season. Donated £250 when the club was asking for help a couple of years back. Buy tickets for my sons to come to probably half of the home games.

So yes, I'd say I qualified as a fan.

And, no, I see no real reason to "hate" Palace any more than I "hate" any of the other clubs we play against.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Pigsy said:
my 5 year old son keeps asking me questions like this. He says "daddy, if Man United were playing Crystal Palace, who would we want to win?"

I have yet to come up with an adequate answer.

I believe Ludwig Wittgenstein studied this dilemma for years. In fact, Bertrand Russell his mentor kept finding himself in logical tautologies and paradoxes and never fully recovered from the failure to find an answer.

If Man U were to play Palace then the correct result would be a mass brawl a la Man U/Arsenal but with the game being abandoned and both teams having points deducted.

Buzzer said:
I believe Ludwig Wittgenstein studied this dilemma for years. In fact, Bertrand Russell his mentor kept finding himself in logical tautologies and paradoxes and never fully recovered from the failure to find an answer.

If Man U were to play Palace then the correct result would be a mass brawl a la Man U/Arsenal but with the game being abandoned and both teams having points deducted.

Actually the correct result would be the game being interrupted by Eric Cantona trying to decapitate the head of a retard Palace fan using the power of Kung-Fu!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
SJ's Love Monkey said:
All this angst does make me laugh, i will repeat the only thing Brighton are famous for is hating Palace,
whereas Palace are famous for WHAT exactly?

losing 9-0?

being one of the smaller and shitter clubs in London who never win anything and get fairly crap support for the division they're in?

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Moshe Gariani said:
whereas Palace are famous for WHAT exactly?

losing 9-0?

being one of the smaller and shitter clubs in London who never win anything and get fairly crap support for the division they're in?

You still crave our hatred though pal don't you? "Shittier" club or not. And you can only dream of getting the home attendances Palace get with or without Falmer, yes 17,000 is poor for us but it is light years away from what you would get my old fruit and this is just a mid table season watching bloody awful football.

And yet again you mention the 9-0 but this thread is about the cup final in 1990 is it not, and who did we beat in the semi- final of that same season? Yes Moshe it was the same Liverpool.

22 long, aching years its taking its toll on you "Mosh" isn't it?

:wave:

Last edited:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
I see you are the same age as me Moshe, i can understand your bitterness fella you actually remember when Palace and Brighton actually used to play each other!

Memories are made of this :bigwave: :kiss:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
The thought of Palace winning a cup final against Utd after we lost in a replay and how they would never stop reminding us about for eternity was enough for me in that cup final.

I wanted Utd to stuff 'em.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
SJ's Love Monkey said:
I see you are the same age as me Moshe, i can understand your bitterness fella you actually remember when Palace and Brighton actually used to play each other!
indeed... I also remember that we used to beat you with monotonous regularity...

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
byf said:
Yeah...I wanted palace to win with thousends of other albion fans...the day we were at home at withdean and we were needing them to win to give us a chance of it going to the last game at grimsby...

Am I talking sh** or did the whole of the south stand urrupt when we heard palace scored....anyone else remeber that?

Shit I remember that, very surreal!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
SJ's Love Monkey said:
And you can only dream of getting the home attendances Palace get with or without Falmer, yes 17,000 is poor for us but it is light years away from what you would get
that isn't really true is it...? we always used to get similar crowds to Palace when we were in a similar situation so I think it's reasonable to assume that we will again... Palace's support over the past 25 years or so has been very "average" and certainly nothing to crow about...

SJ's Love Monkey said:
And yet again you mention the 9-0 but this thread is about the cup final in 1990 is it not, and who did we beat in the semi- final of that same season? Yes Moshe it was the same Liverpool.
Would that be the same Liverpool we knocked out of the cup at Anfield in 1983 and then again at The Goldstone in 1984? :lolol:

I understand why you always have to harp on about the semi-final as it was the only decent win in that whole cup run...

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Moshe Gariani said:
that isn't really true is it...? we always used to get similar crowds to Palace when we were in a similar situation so I think it's reasonable to assume that we will again... Palace's support over the past 25 years or so has been very "average" and certainly nothing to crow about...

Would that be the same Liverpool we knocked out of the cup at Anfield in 1983 and then again at The Goldstone in 1984? :lolol:

I understand why you always have to harp on about the semi-final as it was the only decent win in that whole cup run...

Yeah and if my auntie was my uncle Moshe. Palace average in a Championship season 19-20,000 (this year has been under that i agree), and in Premiership seasons (sorry have i lost you Moshe) it is up around 25,000. Palace have one of the largest catchment areas in the country as you well know and if we established ourselves in the Premiership would attract 30,000 plus a game.

And you talk about crowds being on par with Palace's? Mate you are talking over 2 decades ago, that is a long time in football Brighton will not average 19-20,000 in a Championship season Falmer or no Falmer end of, i genuinely hope you get Falmer people on here know my stance on that, but even with the novelty factor of a new stadium you will do well to attract 15,000 regularly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here