Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1989 Cup Final - A horrible confession..

Was thinking about this Cup final the other day, and I remembered something that has never happened to me since. I supported Palace that day.
Our own defeat against Man U in the 1983 final was still in my mind, and frankly I can't get my head round liking such an unlikeable club!
Palace on the other hand... Despite everything telling me it was wrong, I just couldn't help wanting them to win it. They'd played in one of the best semi-s ever, the 4-3 against Liverpool, they had Ian Wright and Mark Bright, Eric Young and Gary O Reilly.
Supporting the underdog comes naturally to the English. So it's the fault of my genes, not a decision to abandon the Albion for the day.

Like screwing the wife of a total twat for one night only, it's wrong and dirty, with a hint of acceptable.

So, have you?
(not screwed someone else's wife, the Palace thing...)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Palace weren't in the 1989 Cup final.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I was actually in the Palace end for the Replay as a guest of Virgin and took great delight in cheering when United banged in the winner.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Yeah...I wanted palace to win with thousends of other albion fans...the day we were at home at withdean and we were needing them to win to give us a chance of it going to the last game at grimsby...

Am I talking sh** or did the whole of the south stand urrupt when we heard palace scored....anyone else remeber that?

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
my 5 year old son keeps asking me questions like this. He says "daddy, if Man United were playing Crystal Palace, who would we want to win?"

I have yet to come up with an adequate answer.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Pigsy said:
my 5 year old son keeps asking me questions like this. He says "daddy, if Man United were playing Crystal Palace, who would we want to win?"

United everyday of the week son....."Now if you swear in this house again..daddy will be forced to take you to withdean again"

He will get very upset but he will thank you for it later in life!

:lolol:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
byf said:
Yeah...I wanted palace to win with thousends of other albion fans...the day we were at home at withdean and we were needing them to win to give us a chance of it going to the last game at grimsby...

Am I talking sh** or did the whole of the south stand urrupt when we heard palace scored....anyone else remeber that?

Yes.

We were battering Watford either 4-1 or 4-0 at the time, and Palace were playing Stoke. Dave Beasant was in goal for us that day.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Brixton Seagull 2 said:
Was thinking about this Cup final the other day, and I remembered something that has never happened to me since. I supported Palace that day.
Our own defeat against Man U in the 1983 final was still in my mind, and frankly I can't get my head round liking such an unlikeable club!
Palace on the other hand... Despite everything telling me it was wrong, I just couldn't help wanting them to win it. They'd played in one of the best semi-s ever, the 4-3 against Liverpool, they had Ian Wright and Mark Bright, Eric Young and Gary O Reilly.
Supporting the underdog comes naturally to the English. So it's the fault of my genes, not a decision to abandon the Albion for the day.

Like screwing the wife of a total twat for one night only, it's wrong and dirty, with a hint of acceptable.

So, have you?

:nono:
I cannot believe what i am reading:eek:

Fair play though for having the bollocks to confess your sins on here though.

However I do feel that you may live to regret it ! eg. Palace scarves for Xmas from your mates etc :lolol:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Pigsy said:

Easy - match abandoned after referee forced to send off all 22 players, managers and substitues. 30-point deduction for both sides.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I actually attended this Cup Final... with a Palarse fan 'friend', sitting in the ManUre end. :eek: :eek: :eek:

As a dedicated ABU member, sitting among the ManUre fans, and with obviously a deep-seated loathing for Palarse, I can only say it was an EXPERIENCE... and thankfully with the draw and a reasonable game, it was not completely without some crumbs of enjoyment.

Definitely a weird day all round, but I kept muttering 'Seagulls' under my breath just to maintain my sanity - and the prophylactic antibiotics (or was it the BEER) successfully warded off any unwanted infections!

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pigsy said:

Palace of course - I hate Manure with a passion.

The real question should be: when Manure play Chelski who do you want to win? That's much, much tougher

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Gwylan said:

The real question should be: when Manure play Chelski who do you want to win? That's much, much tougher

Rubbish!

You must have red and blue blood then...who would want palace to win unless it benefits us is beyond me!!!???!

:nono:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gwylan said:

Is it f***. Man Utd every time. I HATE Chelsea.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I was there supporting Palace. I worked for Virgin at the time and was in the VIP area.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Brixton Seagull 2 said:

So, have you?

Me too (1990). I was only 9 at the time, and didn't yet understand the rivalry with Palace.

Even if they played now though, I'd be torn. I can relate far more to Palace fans (proper fans who support their local team) rather than glory-hunting plastic Premiership fans. I could have a chat with a Palace fan about football. I simply don't have anything to say to the average United, Chelsea or Arsenal fan about football because they usually know f*** all. The average Palace fan on the other hand, like any fan of a club outside The Premiership, generally knows his stuff.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Frutos said:
Yes.

We were battering Watford either 4-1 or 4-0 at the time, and Palace were playing Stoke. Dave Beasant was in goal for us that day.

I was at Selhurst that day. And I am not scared to admit I went potty when they scored.

Crazy thing was I jumped around much more than any Palace around me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here