Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1983 Cup Final Money

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It would have been financial suicide if he had asked to leave and thus lost the signing on fee etc. Remember they were earning decent money then but nothing in comparison to what they would have been on today in a similar situation.

I didn't think I said that they asked to leave.

The club needed them to leave, thus prompting the two way negotiations.

They were on lucrative contracts, but I concede nothing like todays players, but very very good money for the time.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I didn't think I said that they asked to leave.

The club needed them to leave, thus prompting the two way negotiations.

They were on lucrative contracts, but I concede nothing like todays players, but very very good money for the time.

foster's tax bill for cup final year according to the said documents out of the skip were apparently more than the salaries combined of 2 of the final team and this was based on index linked (complete with the John terry caluse of increase my salary if someone comes in on more) for 10 years.

As you say relatively fantastic money for the time and location and truly no incentive to want to be elsewhere

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
(complete with the John terry caluse of increase my salary if someone comes in on more)

slight tangent, but why do we refer to such clauses as a "John Terry clause", if they have been around for at least 27 years and presumably known about for most of that time ???

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
slight tangent, but why do we refer to such clauses as a "John Terry clause", if they have been around for at least 27 years and presumably known about for most of that time ???

sorry only did this because NSC had a big thing about it a few weeks ago and so was trying to link it back to a previous topic. As you says it's not unusual so perhaps we should call it the Tom Jones clause?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Still don't know where the cash went! i'm sure it was nothing to do with cattlin or foster!:shrug:
Yes you do, I specifically answered your question and others have given the reason as well.

I can only guess you're still asking the same question because you don't like the answer (which is after all somewhat boring), and you think that if you keep asking maybe the answer will change into something more sensational.

Yes you do, I specifically answered your question and others have given the reason as well.

I can only guess you're still asking the same question because you don't like the answer (which is after all somewhat boring), and you think that if you keep asking maybe the answer will change into something more sensational.

I'm not the only one asking! I Think we need to not let this one go its about time it was brought and into the open and laid to rest,we are moving into a new era lets just,lets do it with no skeletons!

The Keeper

Oct 22, 2005
West Sussex
How can anyone blame Catlin, foster and specially Dick Knight,
I think tubby stavros on the seagull specials may of shed some light on this sad episode, we cant let it vanish under the sordid carpet.
We want our money back!!! ive got my super glue ready and im not afraid to use it !!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not the only one asking! I Think we need to not let this one go its about time it was brought and into the open and laid to rest,we are moving into a new era lets just,lets do it with no skeletons!

where do you think it went? Brovion is right, you're just fishing for a conspiracy. I think Wookie was just having a giggle by even raising it.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
sorry only did this because NSC had a big thing about it a few weeks ago and so was trying to link it back to a previous topic. As you says it's not unusual so perhaps we should call it the Tom Jones clause?

It's certainly not unusual.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The Truth

where do you think it went? Brovion is right, you're just fishing for a conspiracy. I think Wookie was just having a giggle by even raising it.

No way was I having a giggle !!!

We NEED to know !!

Its been far too long now!

Somebody knows the truth, its about time we hear it !!! :tantrum:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think it's far more interesting to work out what those players might have SPENT all that salary on in 1983.

1. Billy Joel records
2. "Dolly birds"
3. Vodka and orange down Busbys

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Some of it went on building a new roof for the NorthStand. Sorry if this sounds unlikely. In an effort to make me sound important and popular, sorry, I mean in an effort to make this sound more plausible I will name drop Don Shanks. There; Don Shanks told me that some of it went on a new roof for the North Stand.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No, there's two of you. But the point remains. You asked where the money went. We told you. Do you accept the answer? Yes or no?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think it's far more interesting to work out what those players might have SPENT all that salary on in 1983.

1. Billy Joel records
2. "Dolly birds"
3. Vodka and orange down Busbys

:clap2::clap2:

4. Casual clobber - Fila, Nike, Ellesse, Tachinni, FARAH and Lois CORDS.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, I can never tell whether he's serious or on a wind-up. Anyway, wait until he stops worrying where the Charity Shield and FA Cup money went and moves into the modern era. What happened to the Zamora, Spurs, and Play-off final money? eh? eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here