Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1963 Great train robbery, Hero's or Villian's ?

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
They became folk heroes because of the period.
Remember it was barely 20years after the end of the 2nd world war.

LIFE ENHANCEMENT OPPORTUNITIES FOR THE WORKING CLASSES WERE VERY LIMITED.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Biggsy is a legend. Not condoning the robbery, but the 30 years he was given for it was beyond disgusting. To think he went on the run for so long, then sat in Rio sticking two fingers up at the establishment when it was revealed where he was and could legitimately stay there, then handed himself in when he saw fit, then got released before he could kick the bucket.

The man was never a gangster, he was never suspected of being responsible for the assault on the driver, but he was a top bloke for the way he gave the plod in this country the run around.

Do you actually know any of the history?

He only gave himself up because he had failing health and had no medical cover in Brazil so came back to be a drain on our NHS,

Yea real hero ain't he :nono:

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
Funnily enough I was passing Cheddington today and a guy that lives there showed me the little bridge where they parked up to stop the train.
Nice little spot.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Dandy highwaymen.

Bot not really. However they were no worse than corporate frauds who bilk money, bankers awarding themselves undeserved bonuses, & some politicians. And bent cops.

All pieces of shit.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Villains, with Ronnie Biggs being the worst of the lot in terms of his time in Brazil, then coming back when he needed the medical treatment, and then there was all that stuff about how he should be released on grounds of compassionate grounds because he was so ill.

maybe the sentences were too long in the first place, but if he had done his time, he would have been out and free long long ago.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Biggsy is a legend. Not condoning the robbery, but the 30 years he was given for it was beyond disgusting. To think he went on the run for so long, then sat in Rio sticking two fingers up at the establishment when it was revealed where he was and could legitimately stay there, then handed himself in when he saw fit, then got released before he could kick the bucket.

The man was never a gangster, he was never suspected of being responsible for the assault on the driver, but he was a top bloke for the way he gave the plod in this country the run around.

So does that make Dale Cregan a top bloke for giving Greater Manchester Police the runaround ?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

:facepalm:

Oddsocks

May 1, 2012
I don't think you can ever brand criminals as heros (maybe Robin Hood comes the closest!)

However, with the exception of the violence, I find the whole crime quite endearing. You can't beat a good old fashioned heist! Rightly or wrongly it has become part of our history...worthy of films, dramas and books written about it.

Compared to some of the shitty cowardly mindless crimes that are committed these days. EG mugging old ladies, agrevated burglary, random stabbings on a drunken Saturday night etc etc.

If I was a criminal I'd rather be Ronny Biggs than that scumbag shithouse who stabbed and killed that innocent lad waiting for a bus in Rottingdean recently.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The sentences were way too long, but calling them 'heroes' is a bit excessive. I wonder which of our modern criminals will be subject to sympathetic films in 30 years' time. Raul Moat perhaps? Cheeky chappie who was just misunderstood, treated badly and whose only 'crime' was fighting back against the people and authorities who had betrayed him.

EDIT: Could always do the Brink's-MAT robbery. Who'd play the working class heroes Kenneth Noye and Micky McAvoy?

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The sentences were way too long, but calling them 'heroes' is a bit excessive. I wonder which of our modern criminals will be subject to sympathetic films in 30 years' time. Raul Moat perhaps? Cheeky chappie who was just misunderstood, treated badly and whose only 'crime' was fighting back against the people and authorities who had betrayed him.

spot on look at this filth. this country is mad.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

EDIT: Could always do the Brink's-MAT robbery. Who'd play the working class heroes Kenneth Noye and Micky McAvoy?

Will there be a thread on here in 20 years time extolling the virtues of Jimmy Savile and saying there should be a film made about all the good work he did for Charity? I hope not.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

been done a couple of times already

Don't, I can still see that old trout in the Chelsea shirt of TV calling him a hero, she's a disgusting human being

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Do you actually know any of the history?

He only gave himself up because he had failing health and had no medical cover in Brazil so came back to be a drain on our NHS,

Yea real hero ain't he :nono:

Yes I know the history. In fact I know Ron's son Mike and have met Ron himself.

Considering the amount of money it costs to incarcerate a prisoner he's probably actually saved the taxpayer a few bob by not serving his 30 years. Ok he clocked up 8-9 years after he came back in 2001, but he was no risk to anyone by that point. The bloke was never an angel, but he was never a cold hearted villain either. If I was sentenced to a 30 stretch for what he did I would have done exactly the same and tried to escape at every opportunity.

I never called him a hero, I called him a legend. Big difference.

Oh and the comparisons above to Moat - ridiculous.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes I know the history. In fact I know Ron's son Mike and have met Ron himself.

Considering the amount of money it costs to incarcerate a prisoner he's probably actually saved the taxpayer a few bob by not serving his 30 years. Ok he clocked up 8-9 years after he came back in 2001, but he was no risk to anyone by that point. The bloke was never an angel, but he was never a cold hearted villain either. If I was sentenced to a 30 stretch for what he did I would have done exactly the same and tried to escape at every opportunity.

I never called him a hero, I called him a legend. Big difference.

Oh and the comparisons above to Moat - ridiculous.
No. Both are legends to some people. You think it's ridiculous for Moat to be a legend whereas others feel the same about the Train Robbers. It's all down to a personal perspective, and just you wait a few years, I bet Moat gets a sympathetic treatment - although probably not a musical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here