Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Feedback

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think 'we weren't called to our seats' is the lamest excuse I've ever heard for not being there at the start of the second half.

What do you think this is, bloody Shakespeare at Stratford? Get a grip. See how easy it is to become a prawn sandwich muncher.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
But it was obvious Dodge was up against it . Though he tried to present a calm exterior. People were trying to ask him some bloody stupid questions. Even when he took his bow on the pitch he was taking a call about what herd the steak in the meat pies was from. So far he has been excellent as commercial manager , excellent . Your 'jobs for the lads' comment confirms you are still sore because Paul couldn't or wouldn't give you his full attention on one of the biggest days in the clubs history. As my good friend TLO might say 'Diddums'

A nicer guy you'd be hard pressed to meet. Still see him running (training) around the Sayers Common area and he is one of the coaches at my sons football team, Lower Beeding. He strikes me as quite reserved at times and I'm guessing he didn't sleep well Friday night what with nerves etc....Paul, if you read this, a great job done !!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think 'we weren't called to our seats' is the lamest excuse I've ever heard for not being there at the start of the second half.

What do you think this is, bloody Shakespeare at Stratford? Get a grip. See how easy it is to become a prawn sandwich muncher.

:yawn:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I've seen the same complaint from the pie eating stands..

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Loved every minute of the 1901 experiance, no complaints, maybe I am simple but why do poeple need a reminder when the 2nd half starts as I have been to football games for 50 years and if i am not mistaken, the 2nd half starts 15 mins after the 1st half finishes and about 16:05 ?, my son and I were back in out seats for the start of the 2nd half based on this amazing time keeping logic ???

Some people just moan for the sake of it.........

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Loved every minute of the 1901 experiance, no complaints, maybe I am simple but why do poeple need a reminder when the 2nd half starts as I have been to football games for 50 years and if i am not mistaken, the 2nd half starts 15 mins after the 1st half finishes and about 16:05 ?, my son and I were back in out seats for the start of the 2nd half based on this amazing time keeping logic ???

Some people just moan for the sake of it.........

I don't think it's a complaint, more of an observation and if they are gonna have a lounge announcer wouldn't he be better off telling you the players are coming out rather than please take your seats the game has been on for 4 mins? It wouldn't be hard.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
How generous of you!

I don't usually take issue with fellow NSCers and their comments, but I must agree with Giraffe's comments regarding Paul Rogers. Your use of the word "prick" is wide of the mark old son and out of order IMO. Maybe Paul wasn't aware of your "celebrity status" or your over-riding importance to the occasion. If he had, maybe he could have paid you the attention you crave.

Incidentally, my post has nothing to do with arse-licking or point scoring. Paul is a personal freind of mine. Nuff said I think.

As others have said, calling him a prick probably is unfair. However, when you work in customer service, no matter HOW busy or stressed you are, the one thing you CANNOT do is be rude to even ONE customer. If you are, you turn your back when they ask a question or whatever, that's the impression of you and the organisation you represent that they are going to take away.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Fair comment, but did not the TVs not come up with a message that the game was about to start, so that the people without watches could work out when the game restarted ? as i think i read somewhere that was the plan. Not sure this was just a 1901 issue and when we were back in the ground there was a lot of 'late' comers.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Where were they? I was in the Profile lounge from 1.30 till 17.05 and did'nt see any.

Are you sure you were inthe Profile Lounge? The Pie stand was slap bang central by the windows. The smell of pies was also a bit of a giveaway. You had to pay at the bar (smart card, 10% cashback/discount or whatever its called), get a receipt and then the nice lady handed you a pie.

My report: It was great, generally it was everything I expected and more. Yes, some of the bar staff seem to never have had a job, let alone one in a bar, but I'm sure they will get there. Beer was cold and tasty (I had Amstel, I like Amstel, and it was good) the pies were excellent, and piping hot. The view from my seat was brilliant. I made sure the prawn sandwich noshers around me are fully aware that this is a football stadium by singing myself hoarse, they know waht to expect now.

Thanks TB, MP and DK, you've delivered the best football stadium in the country, with the best prawn sandwich eating option too :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair comment, but did not the TVs not come up with a message that the game was about to start, so that the people without watches could work out when the game restarted ? as i think i read somewhere that was the plan. Not sure this was just a 1901 issue and when we were back in the ground there was a lot of 'late' comers.

They didn't in the WSU so I'm pretty sure they didn't anywhere else. We suddenly noticed the time was about 4:10 so wandered back to our seats, late.

However, immediately after the game the screens were showing what I think is intended to be the "get back to your seats for the 2nd half" graphic with Gus and a message that reads something like "Please take your seats and support the team". I took a photo I can post later when home.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They didn't in the WSU so I'm pretty sure they didn't anywhere else. We suddenly noticed the time was about 4:10 so wandered back to our seats, late.

However, immediately after the game the screens were showing what I think is intended to be the "get back to your seats for the 2nd half" graphic with Gus and a message that reads something like "Please take your seats and support the team". I took a photo I can post later when home.

Exactly the same in the West Stand Lower 1901 - and as has also been mentioned, the TVs are not that visible for anyone not having a sit-down meal so it would have been easy to miss any message.

Anyway, this is in danger of becoming a mountain out of a molehill. Of course, people can look at their watches but it was a simple request for something that would improve the match day experience. In future, I suspect a lot of people - me included - will just forego half-time refreshments and stay inside the stadium so as not to miss the start of the second half. A simple solution but it will cost the club some money, so I'm sure they'll be more receptive to the feedback than those who just see it as a chance to roll out the 'prawn sandwich brigade' cliche. Incidentally, in the BUPA Lounge section, there were plenty of fans singing so that dull comment couldn't be further from the mark.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I have a real problem with not being able to hook up with other friends of mine for a drink before the game. Some of my mates are in different 1901 lounges and the others are season ticket holders and yet I have no way of meeting up with them for a beer unless I queue at Dicks. We are confined to our lounges and are banned from the concourses which seems completely ridiculous. I can't be the only one who has mates around the ground or even on the floor above.
Did anyone get round this problem?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have a real problem with not being able to hook up with other friends of mine for a drink before the game. Some of my mates are in different 1901 lounges and the others are season ticket holders and yet I have no way of meeting up with them for a beer unless I queue at Dicks. We are confined to our lounges and are banned from the concourses which seems completely ridiculous. I can't be the only one who has mates around the ground or even on the floor above.
Did anyone get round this problem?

This was one of the points I was making on the "kids not allowed in Dick's" thread - that pre-match Dick's is the only concourse neutral venue.

But this situation exists at any other ground in the country and the solution is you drink outside the ground, generally in a pub, before heading into the ground. We're slightly different, I guess, in that the club want us to get to the ground relatively early to help smooth the transport flow. However I'm not sure allowing people access to other concourses before the game could work...

- Capacity could be exceeded in any concourse at any one time if one is more popular than others. Presumably this could breech safety regulations etc and present significant problems if, say, there has to be an evacuation.
- A game of 'musical concourses' around 2:45 as people seek to return to their own part of the ground could be a logistical nightmare.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
This was one of the points I was making on the "kids not allowed in Dick's" thread - that pre-match Dick's is the only concourse neutral venue.

But this situation exists at any other ground in the country and the solution is you drink outside the ground, generally in a pub, before heading into the ground. We're slightly different, I guess, in that the club want us to get to the ground relatively early to help smooth the transport flow. However I'm not sure allowing people access to other concourses before the game could work...

- Capacity could be exceeded in any concourse at any one time if one is more popular than others. Presumably this could breech safety regulations etc and present significant problems if, say, there has to be an evacuation.
- A game of 'musical concourses' around 2:45 as people seek to return to their own part of the ground could be a logistical nightmare.

There has to be a solution to this. I personally can't see the problem to allowing 1901ers onto the concourses, most won't bother anyway and those that wish to I would imagine would disperse themselves evenly around.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
How generous of you!

I don't usually take issue with fellow NSCers and their comments, but I must agree with Giraffe's comments regarding Paul Rogers. Your use of the word "prick" is wide of the mark old son and out of order IMO. Maybe Paul wasn't aware of your "celebrity status" or your over-riding importance to the occasion. If he had, maybe he could have paid you the attention you crave.

Incidentally, my post has nothing to do with arse-licking or point scoring. Paul is a personal freind of mine. Nuff said I think.

Nice of you to defend him. That what mates are for. :)

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Are you sure you were inthe Profile Lounge? The Pie stand was slap bang central by the windows. The smell of pies was also a bit of a giveaway. You had to pay at the bar (smart card, 10% cashback/discount or whatever its called), get a receipt and then the nice lady handed you a pie.

My report: It was great, generally it was everything I expected and more. Yes, some of the bar staff seem to never have had a job, let alone one in a bar, but I'm sure they will get there. Beer was cold and tasty (I had Amstel, I like Amstel, and it was good) the pies were excellent, and piping hot. The view from my seat was brilliant. I made sure the prawn sandwich noshers around me are fully aware that this is a football stadium by singing myself hoarse, they know waht to expect now.

Thanks TB, MP and DK, you've delivered the best football stadium in the country, with the best prawn sandwich eating option too :thumbsup:

God knows how we missed the pies then!

Will make a beeline for them on Saturday.

The seats were fantastic so much room and bloody comfy, I kept thinking that there was an empty seat between me and the chap to my left!

Re. Bar in southwest corner. This is a large room, seemingly equipped for dining and drinking, with a large purpose-built bar and views over the pitch and onto the outside concourse.

I was slightly disappointed to receive an email on Saturday morning to advise that the bar is now split in two, the rear now for the exclusive use of the players and Wags.

So, we now have an adequate sized area, with a view of the pitch, but no full-sized, well-stocked bar. Instead, a temporary bar, from which perhaps only two people can be served, but six or seven serving staff, most of whom were standing around as couldnt get to the bar either. So, a long queue,which meant we missed beginning of second half, before we were even served.

The bar quickly ran out of the popular beers by half time, and soft drinks such as lemonade was served and charged for as mixer splits (little bottles). Oh and pies, which one stadium manager had had to queue to pay for, ran out as well.

So, my only gripe of the day. Players and Wags have a full length bar, we had a bar the same as a tobacco kiosk

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Fantastic day. And there wad plenty of proper Albion fans there too. (Lifestyle Lounge) was plenty of singing from our section.

As mentioned, a few tables and seats dotted around for those not eating would be welcome.

Also, a tad slow at half time serving the beers but staff were very friendly and a few people had pre ordered their drinks for half time which was good, and should speed things up in future.

Roll on Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here