Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

15 years ago today: Our debt to Storer and Bennett

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Craig Maskell for me.

Really? He wouldn't have stood a chance of winning it at the time. I seem to remember him being absolutely vilified that season, a real target for the boo boys (if you think Barnes gets a hard time......).

To be honest, our best and most consistent player in those dreadful years was Jeff Minton. One of the few who could probably have cut it at a higher level. I also think Paul McDonald should get a mention - a tricky little winger with a fair bit of skill.

But it really has to be Storer, not just for the Doncaster goal but his contribution overall that season which played a significant role in keeping us up. He was also by far the most outspoken player in terms of supporting the fans' protests. A total Albion legend, in my opinion.

seagullZ-1.gif

May the good times now continue :)

'We've only just began'? A bit of dodgy grammar there from your local rag!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
'We've only just began'? A bit of dodgy grammar there from your local rag!

No way would the Argus use Comic Sans as a font for its front cover. It's been added on!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
To be honest, our best and most consistent player in those dreadful years was Jeff Minton. One of the few who could probably have cut it at a higher level. I also think Paul McDonald should get a mention - a tricky little winger with a fair bit of skill.

But it really has to be Storer, not just for the Doncaster goal but his contribution overall that season which played a significant role in keeping us up. He was also by far the most outspoken player in terms of supporting the fans' protests. A total Albion legend, in my opinion.

This is an accurate summary: Minton was streets ahead of anyone else in terms of skill but I'd have voted for Storer not for the last goal but for his commitment over the course of the season and the way that he offered support to all the protests. Most players kept their head down, Storer didn't and for that alone, he'll always be one of my favourite Albion players ever.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Jeff Minton for me.Mammoth performances near the end of the season .

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I was always amazed at Minton's ability to win headers, considering that some people were a foot taller than him. Would have been even better with better players around him. Always good to see him driving towards goal in the tradition of all our good No.4's.
Baird's best contribution near the end was taking Darren Moore off the pitch with him early on.
Maskell on the other hand split opinions. However, he had a hand in all 4 goals in the last 4 games that gave us 8 points out of 12. His involvement in Storer's goal was significant - he 'cleverly used his body to shield their goalkeeper' in the goalmouth head tennis. Alright then, he dragged the goalie to the ground and sat on him! Did you notice how no-one appealed from the Donny defence? I just wonder.......that banner before the game and the thought of self-preservation?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I was always amazed at Minton's ability to win headers, considering that some people were a foot taller than him. Would have been even better with better players around him. Always good to see him driving towards goal in the tradition of all our good No.4's.

We've had some great players in that position haven't we? Nobby Horton, Tony Grealish, Danny Wilson... I think I liked Minton because he was very much in that tradition.

Where did Minton go after he left us? He was sadly wasted playing for a struggling team in the bottom division.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Minton rather blotted his copybook whilst we were playing at Gillingham, when he knackered an ankle whilst out dancing (so I heard!!!!).

There was very little wrong with his game whilst we were at the Goldstone...

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
We've had some great players in that position haven't we? Nobby Horton, Tony Grealish, Danny Wilson... I think I liked Minton because he was very much in that tradition.

Where did Minton go after he left us? He was sadly wasted playing for a struggling team in the bottom division.

Port Vale bizarrely - to team up with Brian Horton (so it says here!)

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
1992–1994 Tottenham Hotspur 2 (1)
1994–1999 Brighton & Hove Albion 175 (31)
1999–2001 Port Vale 36 (4)
2001 Rotherham United 9 (2)
2001–2002 Leyton Orient 33 (5)
2002 Grays Athletic
2002–2006 Canvey Island 138 (25)
2006–2009 Chelmsford City
2009 Welling United 3 (0)
Total 396+ (68+)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here