Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

15 years ago today: Our debt to Storer and Bennett

Who? Steve Bennett, that's who. Whilst we were waiting for Stuart Storer's winner at the GG, referee Bennett was overruling the lino who flagged Orient's second goal for offside against Hereford. Anybody who was at Edgar Street the following week will realize we were never going to win that match; it took all our effort just to come up with the equalizer. So, it was essential that we went into that game ahead of Hereford in the table. Their failure to get a point at Leyton meant that we overhauled them, albeit in a dubious way.

Leyton Orient 2 Hereford United 1 Saturday, April 26, 1997 League Division Three From Hereford Times)

The ominous sound of the fat lady clearing her throat echoed around Brisbane Road at 10 minutes to five on Saturday afternoon. As news filtered through from the Goldstone Ground that Brighton had beaten Doncaster, the huge band of travelling Hereford supporters, who had kept up a barrage of unavailing vocal support throughout the game, realised that their team's defeat meant they were in bottom place in the Nationwide Third Division.
Now Hereford must beat Brighton in the final game to preserve their League status but a draw will be sufficient to save the Seagulls who have a superior goal tally. Hereford rarely looked like forcing a victory on Saturday and only when Tony Agana appeared as a second-half substitute did they succeed in finding a way through a solid Orient defence.
Adrian Foster and John Williams hardly managed a worthwhile effort between them all afternoon, but were given little support by a midfield which struggled to provide service from the flanks once Murray Fishlock had limped off with a recurrence of his ankle injury after 28 minutes. Hereford's best effort in the first half came from Chris Hargreaves who flashed a 20-yarder just over after seven minutes.
Orient were hardly more active in creating goal-scoring opportunities but Trevor Wood was called into action twice in the first 10 minutes to save from Peter Garland and Alex Inglethorpe. It was Inglethorpe who put the home side ahead nine minutes into the second half with a goal which had its share of fortune about it. Wood appeared to have blocked Inglethorpe's shot but the ball looped into the air and dipped under the bar into the net.
Nine minutes later United were further behind when Martin Ling netted with an angled drive from the edge of the box. Referee Steve Bennett chose to overrule his linesman, who was flagging to signal another player in an off-side position, to award the goal. Agana forced a fine save from keeper Paul Hyde after 74 minutes with a header from a Brian McGorry free-kick, but got his reward four minutes later when he met Rob Warner's corner- kick to head firmly into the net.
The goal stimulated Hereford to push forward a bit more in an attempt to secure the equaliser but their only real goal attempt was a mishit 30-yarder from John Brough which went well wide.
So in the end it was all in vain. The pain etched on some of the players' faces at the final whistle showed what a huge task awaits them at Edgar Street this Saturday.
Hereford: Wood, Norton, Fishlock (sub Warner 29 mins), Brough, Sandeman, Matthewson, Hargreaves, McGorry, A. Foster, Williams, Turner (sub Agana 57 mins). Sub not used: Debont.
Attendance: 5,599.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Still sends shivers down the spine...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I was thinking about that season this morning. No player of the season award was given out as a protest against the club's board at the time. Fifteen years on, it would be lovely if we had a posthumous 1996/97 'Player of the Season' competition...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was thinking about that season this morning. No player of the season award was given out as a protest against the club's board at the time. Fifteen years on, it would be lovely if we had a posthumous 1996/97 'Player of the Season' competition...

Who would you give it to? There would be so many different reasons to vote, presumably. Could the man of the match at Hereford be considered enough for player of the season?! This could turn into quite a debate. I would imagine Stuart Storer would get a few votes for his heroics against Doncaster. Obviously Robbie Reinelt at Hereford, and Mark Ormerod. But presumably there would be a case for Craig Maskell as well? I didn't go through that season, so I can't really add much to be fair.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I think that is a bloody good idea! Player of 'that' season invited to receive the award at the Amex.
Who's starting the poll?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think that is a bloody good idea! Player of 'that' season invited to receive the award at the Amex.
Who's starting the poll?

Getting the player invited to receive the award at the Amex would be marvellous. It would work best if we could also get Insider behind the idea... Perhaps if he started the poll (especially as he rarely starts a thread on the Big Board) it would add an 'official' touch to it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I find it hard to believe that Hereford had a huge travelling support out of a crowd of 5500.
1,500-2,000 I'd have thought - not far off their average home gate, to be fair.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
NIce idea, but I kind of think the moment to do it has passed – maybe if it had been arranged for the Donnie game, or something.

Anyway. 15 years. Jesus. Still remember that last day at the Goldstone in every detail.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Didn't Maskell score 17 league goals that season? Despite not really being that up for!! I would have to vote Storer, not just for his Donny heroics, he was by far and away my fave player that season. Had a lot of love for Ian Baird too!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Craig Maskell for me.

I can't believe it was 15 years ago.

goldstonecrowd.jpg

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Had a lot of love for Ian Baird too!

Yes, he seemed genuine.

And didn't he get himself and one of Donny's best players sent off early in that match? A bit like sacrificing a bishop for a rook, I guess.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It would not be a very subjective vote as most would vote just on the basis that Storer scored the last goal at the Goldstoner or that Reinault scored the goal that kept us in the league. You would also get a lot of people voting that weren't even at both games. Surely the best way to honour the accomplishments of the team (not what happened before xmas but what happened after when the whole team clawed back that 14 pt gap (at least I think it was 14pts) would be to have the whole team back for a parade on the pitch.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Ian Baird for me - absolute legend!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Oh go on then. I know I've posted this on here loads of times before, but it seems appropriate today

[YT]6Pr4WA_GB9Q[/YT]

RIP Goldstone

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
At about this time 17 years ago I was ON THE PITCH

Stttttttttttttoooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Unbelievable now - it's like it happened in a different life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here