Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

14,558 - the attendance last night?

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Those were the days before The Taylor Report and a legal requirement for electronic counters on turnstiles. (And before proper VAT accounting ....)

All of which can still be over-ridden by a club intending to hide turnover. As I am sure is still being done at some lower league and non-league clubs.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Completely agree with all you've written having followed attendance-gate last night and today.

However, I don't agree with the 'unfair' bit as there's no official prize for being well supported, it's mainly internet based willy waving.

It would seem curious though that there is no directive that clubs are to all follow, either:

1. Report those that have come through the gates, or
2. Report all tickets sold

It seems we do 1 and Palace do 2.

Because they are two quite seperate yet accurate wasy of measuring attendance.

An accountant would want the first as it is a true indication of how many tickets were sold. A policeman wouold wantthe second as it is an accurate indication of how people were in the ground.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Yes of that I am sure. Though from the view I had last night, the ground didn't in any way look 45% empty ( based on revised figs quoted above ) - unless rest of A Waite stand was empty which I couldnt tell from my seat. If it wasnt then Palace are lying about the gate and should be reported to HMRC.

why. they may well have sold the ticket and the holder might have NOT turned up. that's hardly the club's fault

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think Darren Balkham tweeted later last night that the original figure was wrong and the true figure was around 17,500

Still poor though

He did indeed, then later tweeted that the 17,500 included ST no shows.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im confused.

Can someone clarify just how many Palace fans went through the turnstiles last night ?

17.5k gate

2.5 us

Leaves 15k are we saying that literally only 12k palace fans actually turned up roughly ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Im confused.

Can someone clarify just how many Palace fans went through the turnstiles last night ?

17.5k gate

2.5 us

Leaves 15k are we saying that literally only 12k palace fans actually turned up roughly ?

14558 - 2726 Albion = 11832 Palace

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That is truly shocking less than 12k bothered !

And that does not include the Albion fans in the home end and exec boxes. I was in a box of 10 people, 5 of whom were Albion fans, 3 were Palace ans 2 were supporters of other clubs.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Yes of that I am sure. Though from the view I had last night, the ground didn't in any way look 45% empty ( based on revised figs quoted above ) - unless rest of A Waite stand was empty which I couldnt tell from my seat. If it wasnt then Palace are lying about the gate and should be reported to HMRC.

There has been some crap written on this thread, the ground holds 26000 if there was only 15000 in the ground, as stated above, it would have been half full...it clearly was not, 17500 looked about right..still not good but not suprising as tickets were so hard to get for both home and away fans.

The Met police need to have a long hard look at the way they police games as it was shocking last night, not because of trouble just because it caused so many to get cross about over policing and heavy handed tatics.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
All of which can still be over-ridden by a club intending to hide turnover. As I am sure is still being done at some lower league and non-league clubs.

Without a doubt - at Exeter a few years ago a certain ex-director (who I won't name) used to go around all the turnstiles at half-time with a big sack into which all the money was poured, so he could "count it at home".

But I think the higher up the pyramid you are the harder such things become.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There has been some crap written on this thread, the ground holds 26000 if there was only 15000 in the ground, as stated above, it would have been half full...it clearly was not, 17500 looked about right..still not good but not suprising as tickets were so hard to get for both home and away fans.

The Met police need to have a long hard look at the way they police games as it was shocking last night, not because of trouble just because it caused so many to get cross about over policing and heavy handed tatics.
Agreed. Sounds like their fans are consistently treated like shit by the Met, and I reckon that is now showing at the gate. No-one wants to be kettled in with a ruddy great metal wall at 10pm on a freezing evening, even if it is a match against your rivals. Shit policing.

The problem is that both systems described the figures as the match "attendance". One of the main dictionary definitions of attendance is " the number of people present at a particular event". Taken literally, the way we measure and publish is the correct one.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Tickets hard to get for home fans?! Rubbish - don't believe that old excuse. A Palace mate of mine had not trouble getting another ticket for a Brighton mate - didn't use anyone elses account etc nothing like that - so there were no excuses for Palaces remarkably low attendance.remark

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Completely agree with all you've written having followed attendance-gate last night and today.

However, I don't agree with the 'unfair' bit as there's no official prize for being well supported, it's mainly internet based willy waving.

It would seem curious though that there is no directive that clubs are to all follow, either:

1. Report those that have come through the gates, or
2. Report all tickets sold

It seems we do 1 and Palace do 2.

What i meant is it's unfair that everyone doesn't follow the same guidlines. I'm quite sad and like to look at attendances when i see a paper. Just shows that clubs like Palace's average is actually not comparible to ours as we count the tickets differently.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What i meant is it's unfair that everyone doesn't follow the same guidlines. I'm quite sad and like to look at attendances when i see a paper. Just shows that clubs like Palace's average is actually not comparible to ours as we count the tickets differently.
Well you know our average, its 22374 if done the same way as Palace, sold out every league game so far.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Tickets hard to get for home fans?! Rubbish - don't believe that old excuse. A Palace mate of mine had not trouble getting another ticket for a Brighton mate - didn't use anyone elses account etc nothing like that - so there were no excuses for Palaces remarkably low attendance.remark

Well you say that, but no ticket sold on the day stops walk ups. Being a evening game on a School night stops dads / mums with kids (thats the same for all clubs I know) also you could not buy a ticket unless you had previous Purchases history online or on the phone, I dont know about going to the ground in person, but if you were a fan who was paid at the end of the month you might of had no money. These are excuses but it could account for a 1000 or so?? still poor.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well you say that, but no ticket sold on the day stops walk ups. Being a evening game on a School night stops dads / mums with kids (thats the same for all clubs I know) also you could not buy a ticket unless you had previous Purchases history online or on the phone, I dont know about going to the ground in person, but if you were a fan who was paid at the end of the month you might of had no money. These are excuses but it could account for a 1000 or so?? still poor.

True but we had all that at the amex game. Infact it didn't even get to general sale. I reckon even at Withdean if we'd played them after 7 yrs in the Championship and had a 26k capacity there (funny one thast I know) we'd have got over 12k. I think if you were on database you could buy as many as you want - as i say my mate bought 3 and only 2 would've had a purchase history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here