Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

14,558 - the attendance last night?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Apparently, the 17.5k attendance they're given was wrong - see Sussex Police tweets below... This was also the attendance given on the radio.

Anyways the point of this thread is that the 'official attendance' on the official websites etc is 17.5k or so - which according to Darren @ Sussex Police (and why would he lie?) acounts for STH's who haven't turned up I presume. So my question is, why do our official attendance figures at The Amex always the actual number through the gate (ala 14.5k last night) and why doesn't it include STH's who haven't turned up? Anyone know? Perhaps [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] can help on this...?

Also, does this mean CPFCs attendance figures always count a few thousand people who aren't actually there? Surely seems unfair if other clubs don't do it? Or are we in the minority who don't just count attendances as 'tickets sold'?

Suspolfootball Darren Balkham
Tonight's attendance at selhurst 14,545 with 2720 #bhafc

Figures are slightly rising!! 14558 with 2726 #bhafc

[MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]NaylorArgus andy, attendance I gave out was actual through the gate as opposed to one including season ticket holders

@ @NorthStandChat 2 figures are taken. 1 includes season ticket holders ( tax reasons) and the control room has actual numbers in ground.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Maybe we are just more HONEST.

Arsenal ST mate of mine says its a well known "joke" at the Emirates when they announce : "and todays crowd is 59,999" when actually you can see MASSIVE gaps and they all have a chuckle. But they take into account ST no shows.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
How many STH's do Palace have?

If they have 10,000 that means nearly 30% didn't turn up :eek: that's a bit higher than our 5% (roughly)

matt

Mar 19, 2007
So, 3,000 STH didn't show up?? How many STH do they have? That seems like rather a lot.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Surely seems unfair if other clubs don't do it?

Completely agree with all you've written having followed attendance-gate last night and today.

However, I don't agree with the 'unfair' bit as there's no official prize for being well supported, it's mainly internet based willy waving.

It would seem curious though that there is no directive that clubs are to all follow, either:

1. Report those that have come through the gates, or
2. Report all tickets sold

It seems we do 1 and Palace do 2.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Completely agree with all you've written having followed attendance-gate last night and today.

However, I don't agree with the 'unfair' bit as there's no official prize for being well supported, it's mainly internet based willy waving.

It would seem curious though that there is no directive that clubs are to all follow, either:

I suspect the reason why we have historically done option 1 is that when we were at Withdean the club had to give the transport companies a certain amount of money which was determined by the gate. I think this was £1.50 per spectator. Therefore if we included (for example) 1,000 ST no shows each match the Albion would have to pay Brighton and Hove buses an extra £1,500 a match.

Alternatively I could be talking out of my arse.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

1 seems like it's the right thing to do, but given that Suspolfootball noted the difference between the two figures was for tax reasons that may be why the FA or Football League don't have a rule on it?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I do enjoy internet based willy waving [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] but for me, it means something completely different! :moo:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Was Steptoe and Son on TV last night?

Ive been told that to the average croydonite "Steptoe & son" & "who do you think you are?" are deemed to be the same programme.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
1 seems like it's the right thing to do, but given that Suspolfootball noted the difference between the two figures was for tax reasons that may be why the FA or Football League don't have a rule on it?

The Football League don't have a rule, they leave it up to individual clubs - but the Premier League do have a rule. They insist that their clubs report attendances as tickets sold, not bodies through the gates. I suspect that Palace changed their policy when they were in the PL and have just never reverted back to the other way of reporting. The same applies at other clubs I'm familiar with.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Didn't we used to have massively under-counted gates at The Goldstone?

Sent from my little computer/phone thing using Tapatalk

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The Football League don't have a rule, they leave it up to individual clubs - but the Premier League do have a rule. They insist that their clubs report attendances as tickets sold, not bodies through the gates. I suspect that Palace changed their policy when they were in the PL and have just never reverted back to the other way of reporting. The same applies at other clubs I'm familiar with.

Was completely unaware of this. Seems an odd rule, but as noted by others (and Suspolfootball) assume it's tax/VAT?

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Didn't we used to have massively under-counted gates at The Goldstone?

Sent from my little computer/phone thing using Tapatalk

Yes of that I am sure. Though from the view I had last night, the ground didn't in any way look 45% empty ( based on revised figs quoted above ) - unless rest of A Waite stand was empty which I couldnt tell from my seat. If it wasnt then Palace are lying about the gate and should be reported to HMRC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here