Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] 10PM pub closing. what will people do ?

what will people do ?

• Drink less

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • go out earlier

Votes: 85 73.3%

• Total voters

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Without wishing to pick on you, this isn't about it being safe at 21:59 but not at 22:01 in the same way that it's clearly not the case that "the virus stops at the school gates".

It's about finding a range of measures that, when combined, keep viral spread at a low and manageable level whilst trying to enable as much economic and social activity as possible to continue.

With a virus that spreads from person to person, every single social interaction we have has some risk attached to it - it's as simple as that. I believe the goal is to find a level of measures that hits that sweet spot of viral containment and minimal economic and social disruption. This means as many people as possible retain employment, as many business as possible keep their heads above water (possibly with state aid) and health services are not over-run with Covid-19 care and can attend to all their BAU activity.

I've no great insight into the 10pm ruling, but I'm pretty sure I've read about several other countries also putting similar rules in place, so I'd assume there is some collective belief of the expected benefits it brings.

Aye ..that’s rational thinking.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This whole 10.00pm thing is a white elephant and indicative of the government's failure to get a grip of a long term strategy. They are all over the place.

What's required is a view of what will be happening over the coming months and they have been unable to state that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This whole 10.00pm thing is a white elephant and indicative of the government's failure to get a grip of a long term strategy. They are all over the place.

What's required is a view of what will be happening over the coming months and they have been unable to state that.

Trust me, I'm no fan of this government at all - but why is it ? Would you rather they such all hospitality again? And then what?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You mean other than what Whitty and Vallance told us yesterday, which is what may happen over coming months if we don't take some preventative steps now?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You mean other than what Whitty and Vallance told us yesterday, which is what may happen over coming months if we don't take some preventative steps now?

That graph was a not a strategy it was a simple extrapolation of data.

A strategy is about what we are going to actually do and how we are going to manage the situation over the next year. Two different things.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Its not the closing at 10pm thats the main issue here, its that table service will be a law. This is going to cause major issues for many pubs, it also means that every time you get a drink a waiter will be lingering around you for longer than if you went up to the bar.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The lead time for this grand announcement has been so great everyone affected has already worked out an alternative arrangement so their drinking is not affected, and if that means starting in the pub an hour earlier then piling back to a mates house after 10pm I don't see how that will reduce the spread of Covid.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Without wishing to pick on you, this isn't about it being safe at 21:59 but not at 22:01 in the same way that it's clearly not the case that "the virus stops at the school gates".

It's about finding a range of measures that, when combined, keep viral spread at a low and manageable level whilst trying to enable as much economic and social activity as possible to continue.

With a virus that spreads from person to person, every single social interaction we have has some risk attached to it - it's as simple as that. I believe the goal is to find a level of measures that hits that sweet spot of viral containment and minimal economic and social disruption. This means as many people as possible retain employment, as many business as possible keep their heads above water (possibly with state aid) and health services are not over-run with Covid-19 care and can attend to all their BAU activity.

I've no great insight into the 10pm ruling, but I'm pretty sure I've read about several other countries also putting similar rules in place, so I'd assume there is some collective belief of the expected benefits it brings.

As I eluded to in another post, I don't believe the 10pm is just some arbitrary deadline, I do think it is closely tied to a complete lack of trust in the younger drinkers to behave. Us old-school drinkers who remember the introduction of 11-11 drinking and before tend to get our beer in early and be home before midnight. The younger generation are barely getting ready to go out as we oldies stagger in and so I believe the intention is nothing to do with sound, tested, well-thought out planning and more to do with cutting the 20-somethings out of the equation without damaging the voter base's goodwill.

However, I believe it is entirely counter productive and will fail miserably .. as I'm sure anyone with a 20-something will tell you. They are the demographic where infections are blowing up and the ones causing most issues with the r-number.

Closing pubs at 10pm is a short-sighted, pointless ploy to p*as on their bonfires without upsetting middle aged Tories. Not based in science and not based in the real world.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Not in a pub - but looking outside into a Leeds pub when Liverpool played Leeds it was ridiculous. Not getting at Leeds - it is where I live.

Fair enough, I have watched several games over the last two weeks in the pub, all neutral games but there were no issues with social distancing at all. But fully get your point if not every pub is sticking to the rules. I havent been to a pub in Brighton that hasnt been table service and not had social distancing between all tables.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Its not the closing at 10pm thats the main issue here, its that table service will be a law. This is going to cause major issues for many pubs, it also means that every time you get a drink a waiter will be lingering around you for longer than if you went up to the bar.

Personally speaking, I've found the table service thing in pubs to work much better than I ever thought it would. The pubs that were well-run pre-lockdown have pretty much all stepped up to the mark post-lockdown. And the pubs that were fleapits before are still fleapits now

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Personally speaking, I've found the table service thing in pubs to work much better than I ever thought it would. The pubs that were well-run pre-lockdown have pretty much all stepped up to the mark post-lockdown. And the fleapits are still fleapits

Agreed. I've seen far more 'good' pubs than 'bad' pubs. And the 'bad' pubs are really ones I'd not go in anyway.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
That is probably the issue. Many places do follow the rules, others dont. Its the others that dont which cause a lot of the problems. I feel sorry for pubs that have done all they can.

Fair enough, I have watched several games over the last two weeks in the pub, all neutral games but there were no issues with social distancing at all. But fully get your point if not every pub is sticking to the rules. I havent been to a pub in Brighton that hasnt been table service and not had social distancing between all tables.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd love to know just how much the Eat Out To Help Out scheme or whatever it was called has added to the spread.
Loads. When I saw the all day queues for Waga-flipping-mamas on the last day I realised what a disaster the scheme was.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That graph was a not a strategy it was a simple extrapolation of data.

A strategy is about what we are going to actually do and how we are going to manage the situation over the next year. Two different things.

You mean the graph showing worst case scenario (in their opinion) similar to the prediction by Ferguson with his modelling

No, I mean the highlighting of a worsening situation, eg...

People entering hospital with Covid-19 in England at the end of August (28th - 31st): 44 - 52 - 38 - 52
People entering hospital with Covid-19 in England now (September 16th - 19th): 183 - 199 - 205 - 204

People in hospital with Covid-19 in England at the end of August: 472
People in hospital with Covid-19 in England now: 1,261

People in hospital with Covid-19 in England needing mechanical ventilation at the end of August: 54
People in hospital with Covid-19 in England needing mechanical ventilation now: 154

ONS Infection Survey, estimated number of people in England with Covid-19 14-20 August: 28,200
ONS Infection Survey, estimated number of people in England with Covid-19 4-10 September: 59,800

Do we just ignore all these trends?

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave

Tsk if only this pesky disease would provide its intent in advance.......

We were given warning yesterday of what could happen if we fail to get on top of this latest rise of cases.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No, I mean the highlighting of a worsening situation, eg...

People entering hospital with Covid-19 in England at the end of August (28th - 31st): 44 - 52 - 38 - 52
People entering hospital with Covid-19 in England now (September 16th - 19th): 183 - 199 - 205 - 204

People in hospital with Covid-19 in England at the end of August: 472
People in hospital with Covid-19 in England now: 1,261

People in hospital with Covid-19 in England needing mechanical ventilation at the end of August: 54
People in hospital with Covid-19 in England needing mechanical ventilation now: 154

ONS Infection Survey, estimated number of people in England with Covid-19 14-20 August: 28,200
ONS Infection Survey, estimated number of people in England with Covid-19 4-10 September: 59,800

Do we just ignore all these trends?

We all know the intention of that graph was to scare the shit out of everyone...as is the subsequent headlines that have followed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here