Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 10 Years of Solly

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Solly is good in a number of positions, but his best position, the only one where you can confidently say he is a top half PL player is LWB where Cuccerella has seemingly nailed down the spot.

Solly will have to adapt to somewhere else. But I have no doubt he can do it for us

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I remember reading somewhere, perhaps in a Potter interview, that he does some amazing stuff in training and just needs to believe more.

I also remember a 30 yard screamer he hit in a pre-season friendly, possibly against Norwich if memory serves correctly, and I often wish he could repeat some of that in meaningful games.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
And knocky lacked to the football intelligence and demeanour to be a Top PL player.

That is why both of them playe for us and not a top PL club.

If Solly does lack a bit of confidence, but can play at a consistently high level for us, then I'm all for it.

Jul 20, 2003
Big fan.

Cracking player.

Definitely in my top 50 all time Albion players.

D

Deleted member 2719

He's a perfect 10, but he wears a 20
Solly keep a little 2 for me
He could be sweet 16, bustin' down the wings
It's still love in the first degree

When he's at his game, with a big fat 8
You wanna see the smile on my face
And when on the floor, with a poor poor 4
There ain't no man can replace

There's only one Solly March....one Solly March.......There's only one Solly March :albion2::albion2::albion2:

https://youtu.be/4_cPa_79Ig8

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Scored the winner against Villa last season but apart from that, has only 3 goals in 123 PL appearances, all 3 of those games being defeats.

Grrr, people who use stats to tell you you're wrong :lolol:

Ok, just the 4 premier league goals. But even though we lost three of those games, it still reads as 'taking the lead against Bournemouth' ; pulling one back in the 60th minute in a 2-1 defeat to Chelsea'; last minute equaliser v Man Utd; 'winner v Villa'. Plus last minute equaliser against Millwall to take us to the Cup semi at Wembley. Its not 'last minute consolation in a 4-1 defeat'.

No, not prolific, but until and unless Cucurella can demonstrate superior defensive chops, I think we've taken a step backwards replacing Solly with Cucu.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Solly is good in a number of positions, but his best position, the only one where you can confidently say he is a top half PL player is LWB where Cuccerella has seemingly nailed down the spot.

Solly will have to adapt to somewhere else. But I have no doubt he can do it for us

The way things are going, he might need to adapt to playing Centre Back.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Grrr, people who use stats to tell you you're wrong :lolol:

Ok, just the 4 premier league goals. But even though we lost three of those games, it still reads as 'taking the lead against Bournemouth' ; pulling one back in the 60th minute in a 2-1 defeat to Chelsea'; last minute equaliser v Man Utd; 'winner v Villa'. Plus last minute equaliser against Millwall to take us to the Cup semi at Wembley. Its not 'last minute consolation in a 4-1 defeat'.

No, not prolific, but until and unless Cucurella can demonstrate superior defensive chops, I think we've taken a step backwards replacing Solly with Cucu.

I don't know if I would use that overhit free-kick against Milwall as a good example of his goal-scoring ability :lol:

But I agree that Solly is more of a goal threat than Cucerella.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I'm generally a Solly fan, but I'm afraid today provided all the evidence - if it were needed - of why Solly isn't good enough at finishing to play in that position at this level. His volley and his header were terrible, and he passed the ball backward when he got unsure, which was too frequently. We need Lamprey back up to speed, and fast.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I'm generally a Solly fan, but I'm afraid today provided all the evidence - if it were needed - of why Solly isn't good enough at finishing to play in that position at this level. His volley and his header were terrible, and he passed the ball backward when he got unsure, which was too frequently. We need Lamprey back up to speed, and fast.

you are an idiot
(in my opinion)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Should have done better with the header... Lamptey surely would have headed it hard into the corner, like he normally does. And the volley? Anyone would bury that!

... or not.

Solly is fine. Sure, he's not exactly mr Goal Scorer but his other qualities more than make up for it. Kind of like with Cucurella last season.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

Oh, he can’t finish for Toffee…but neither can Sanchez and he’s in the side! :) No, Solly brings a lot more. You don’t get picked by consecutive managers at highest level without having something about him. His game play is fantastic.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Fortunately for the rest of us, Graham Potter thinks otherwise.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Don’t think it’s scapegoats as such
Enjoy the moment today 100% for sure
It’s just quite a few see SM as the Weakest Link
To progress as a team he may be the the player that needs replacing
Much like Bong a few seasons back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here