Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 10 years of Cover versions that absolutely SPANK the originals .......... over to you

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
The original can't be topped but I thought the salsa version of Nevermind was quirky...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I like Marilyn Manson's cover of sweet dreams, and Christina aguilara's cover of the beautiful people. Not sure I'd say either spanked the original but are good covers.

Jul 20, 2003

a 'straight' cover of a decent song elevated by being Glen Campbell. I bloody love Glen Campbell.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
well I'll go to the foot of our stairs if only 2 of my all time 5 knock 'em out of the ballpark' covers that smash the originals have been mentioned over 150 post in, seriously NSC, have a word. So, in the order I came to love them, my votes go to:

Emma - Sisters of Mercy
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
Ghost of Tom Joad - Rage Against The Machine
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Electioneering - Easy Star All Stars

Also, total respect to the OP, I was going to put this thread up on Friday but just dind't make it so kudos to you sir. Great thread, love it.....

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There's only one cover of Hallelujah for me:

Buckley's is too overwrought for my liking. I lose the pathos and think he's just showing off.

Cale's version also reminds me of two other masters of understated heartbreak. Both on Costello songs.

I don't know if the second should count as a cover as it was written for him.

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Not sure it SPANKS the original but I love Deerhunter so I loved this when I heard it. A live cover of Magazine's The Light Pours Out of Me, on Marc Rileys session.

(2nd track)

[yt]MW5BXcat7Zw[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here