Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10 lessons from Upton Park

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Hopefully Wilkins will have learned the following...actually, I hope he knew most of this before Saturday:

1. Frutos is a waste of space.....harsh but true
2. Robinson on the left does not work
3. The front two run around a lot, but need to move MORE INTELLIGENTLY (hint: watch Henrik Larsson)
4. Without Cox our midfield is devoid of creativity
5. We need a couple of signings to avoid a nasty dose of relegation gips (particularly an experienced leader in central midfield)
6. You don't win anything with kids....especially kids who are still doing a lot of learning
7. The Arsenal loanee looks useful - could do a job
8. At throw-ins we need to at least LOOK LIKE we want the ball
9. Henderson IS a good keeper
10. Rents cannot play in midfield

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
We really need to sign a leftback,centre midfielder and another striker or we will struggle.

KPTF

Jan 6, 2004
Burgess Hill
Jim in the West said:
5. We need a couple of signings to avoid a nasty dose of relegation gips (particularly an experienced leader in central midfield)

Agree with the first bit but thought Hammond was immense yesterday, really stood up to be counted and played as though the armband meant something to him. Yes he could have been more creative and didn't foray forward as much as he does against lesser opposition but he kept it simple and was always wanting to be involved.

I like El-Abd alongside him and can see that being our CM partnership for a long while to come (in much the same way as the Chippy/Charlie mould). As I've said, against lesser opposition, Hammond will be the creator and El-Abd in there to break it up & win back possession.

We need a striker to get 10-12 goals before the end of the season, which should stave off the threat of relegation. Elder may be that man but no-one's seen him yet & it's a bit much to expect such a return from such an inexperienced player. We need a quick player to play alongside Revell. Gatting isn't up to it and Jake needs dropping to rediscover his hunger which palpably wasn't there yesterday (and hasn't been for a few games now).

If OGH can stay fit, that would solve the RM position. If not, we need to get someone in there. Fraser's a trier and defensively ok there but doesn't create a great deal or take the fullback on. He's had a good run and needs to recharge his batteries. Ideally, he'll be cover for El-Abd.

Left Back is still a concern. I like Rents and he seems to be getting accustomed to first team football the more he plays but, like so many of the others, he's in his first season and will need resting to prevent burn-out. I've always liked Alan Wright who's just returned to Sheff Utd but suspect wages will be an issue there.

God how we've missed Paul Reid.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Re: Re: 10 lessons from Upton Park

KPTF said:
Agree with the first bit but thought Hammond was immense yesterday, really stood up to be counted and played as though the armband meant something to him. Yes he could have been more creative and didn't foray forward as much as he does against lesser opposition but he kept it simple and was always wanting to be involved.

I like El-Abd alongside him and can see that being our CM partnership for a long while to come (in much the same way as the Chippy/Charlie mould). As I've said, against lesser opposition, Hammond will be the creator and El-Abd in there to break it up & win back possession.

We need a striker to get 10-12 goals before the end of the season, which should stave off the threat of relegation. Elder may be that man but no-one's seen him yet & it's a bit much to expect such a return from such an inexperienced player. We need a quick player to play alongside Revell. Gatting isn't up to it and Jake needs dropping to rediscover his hunger which palpably wasn't there yesterday (and hasn't been for a few games now).

If OGH can stay fit, that would solve the RM position. If not, we need to get someone in there. Fraser's a trier and defensively ok there but doesn't create a great deal or take the fullback on. He's had a good run and needs to recharge his batteries. Ideally, he'll be cover for El-Abd.

Left Back is still a concern. I like Rents and he seems to be getting accustomed to first team football the more he plays but, like so many of the others, he's in his first season and will need resting to prevent burn-out. I've always liked Alan Wright who's just returned to Sheff Utd but suspect wages will be an issue there.

God how we've missed Paul Reid.
Excellent post, sir.
Hammond had a very good game as did ElAbd.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Jim in the West said:
Hopefully Wilkins will have learned the following...actually, I hope he knew most of this before Saturday:

1. Frutos is a waste of space.....harsh but true
2. Robinson on the left does not work
3. The front two run around a lot, but need to move MORE INTELLIGENTLY (hint: watch Henrik Larsson)
4. Without Cox our midfield is devoid of creativity
6. You don't win anything with kids....especially kids who are still doing a lot of learning
7. The Arsenal loanee looks useful - could do a job
8. At throw-ins we need to at least LOOK LIKE we want the ball
9. Henderson IS a good keeper
10. Rents cannot play in midfield

How did you get a ticket ???

1066gull

I disagree with 1 and 2.

Robinson plays well with Cox in the team, without him and he struggles.

I think Rents can play as a wing back, as he has a really useful cross.

-----------------Robinson-------Revell-----------------

--------Cox-----------Hammond------Fraser/El-Abd

Rents----------------------------------------------O'Carroll
-------------Lynch---Butters---Hinshelwood-------------

Last edited:

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Disagree with 1, Frutos played his most "inspired" game of the season and looked back on the form of last season. Definitely played his way back into the team for me.

Problem his him and Cox both play left, when we need someone on the right.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
junior said:
Frutos played well,as did Kerry Mayo considering he was marking f***ing CARLOS TEVEZ!

And i disagree about number 9.

Did ok going foward.Rubbish at defending.The amount of times they had huge space on the left in the first half was..well:blush:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
algie said:
Did ok going foward.Rubbish at defending.The amount of times they had huge space on the left in the first half was..well:blush:

Id have to agree with that, thought Mayo was abismal.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Agree that Hammond and EL Abd did well. I thought it was the best game for Frutos for a long time and think a spell of games could see him do well.

Don't want to get the debate going again, but I thought Henderson should have done better for the first goal.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Frutos played as well as I have seen him play, if he was match fit it would have been better, he was definately up for it and I hope he will carry on this way until the end of the season

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
fleet said:
Don't want to get the debate going again, but I thought Henderson should have done better for the first goal.

As it was right in front of me I believe he saw the ball late and was unlucky, there may even have been a slight deflection off a defender

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gazwag said:
As it was right in front of me I believe he saw the ball late and was unlucky, there may even have been a slight deflection off a defender

We've all seen the replay a few times now. It was a good hit from 10 yards. He did see it late, and it did take a deflection. He did pretty well to get near it, and it would have been a wonder-save if he'd pulled it off.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Da Man Clay said:
I disagree with the first one. Spot on with the rest.

Ditto.

Frutos needs a run of games. He looks slightly lethargic, which is unsurprising considering he himself said, that he felt below par in the preseason and hasn't got many games under his belt. This hasn't been helped by the fact that lots of reserve games seem to be lost to the weather.

He can be very dangerous when in space and has the ball at his feet. Just needs a run of games and bring some confidence back into his game.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I sincerely hope Frutos gets back to his form when he first joined us, but on Saturday (apart from the first 10 mins or so) it was like playing with 10 men. He gets shoved off the ball far too much, and hasn't got enough pace to make up for other inadequacies. I guess if he bucks his ideas up in the next few games he may be worth a place. But I worry about him in the same midfield as Fraser, who is also relatively lightweight.

Personally, I think the going is getting tough now, and Frutos is not the type of player we need to grind out results against opposition we need to beat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here