Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] '10,000 vinyls'

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
LP is an album. vinyl can be LP, EP or singles.
Quite....it's why we said LP's, EP's or 45's in those days. Mind you I also had some 'vinyl 78's. Hound Dog/Teddy Bear by Elvis. Grand Coulee Dam/Sal's Got a Sugar Lip by Lonnie Donegan were two of mine that I remember.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Vinyls should be placed with medaled (as in to win a medal) in room 101
In my workplace, I get annoyed that people talk about ‘trainings’ when they mean training courses.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
People referred to 'vinyls' in the 90s?!
I called them records. We had records, tapes & CD's. CD's had just been 'invented'. They hadn't just been invented but it was a big moment when the 'Now 378' album came out on CD in the very late 80's/early 90''s & I had a CD player! My brother said CD's were indestructible so I kept throwing his Fleetwood Mac CD against the wall to prove it to my friends. 😁 When they1st came out they were indestructible, I even trod on one & took a chunk out of it. That's how I know that CD's play from inside out rather than outside in, like vinyl. They don't make them like they used to, a tiny scratch on a CD now will make it unplayable.
I can't decide on the quality of vinyl these days as there's so much variation in new pressings There appears to be no 'standard', so you're constantly having to use the faders to keep some sort of volume level.
Back to the OP, 'Vinyls' is not a word. (y)

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Quite....it's why we said LP's, EP's or 45's in those days. Mind you I also had some 'vinyl 78's. Hound Dog/Teddy Bear by Elvis. Grand Coulee Dam/Sal's Got a Sugar Lip by Lonnie Donegan were two of mine that I remember.
I think they were probably shellac as opposed to vinyl... or possibly even shellacs

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
When I started buying 'records' in the mid 70's we simply referred to them as singles and albums ... and then occasionally boast about having a 12" single. I think I've still got a 10" single up in the loft.

First single I bought was in 1975 ... Minnie Riperton ... "Lovin' You".
First album - released in 1974, but probably bought in 1975 was Slade's "Old New Borrowed and Blue"

Still have them.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
When I started buying 'records' in the mid 70's we simply referred to them as singles and albums ... and then occasionally boast about having a 12" single. I think I've still got a 10" single up in the loft.

First single I bought was in 1975 ... Minnie Riperton ... "Lovin' You".
First album - released in 1974, but probably bought in 1975 was Slade's "Old New Borrowed and Blue"

Still have them.
The 10” was called the LP, many people refer to albums as LP’s which may be incorrect.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
The 10” was called the LP, many people refer to albums as LP’s which may be incorrect.

Correct (y) I thought the 1977 'EP' I have by punk rock band London (No Time/Siouxsie Sue/Summer of Love/Friday on my Mind) was on 10" ... it's actually 12"

The one 10" record I have is Stephen Fretwell's '8 Songs' - which Discogs describe as 10", Single, Mini-Album ... and oddly has 9 songs, not 8.

Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 14.58.12.png

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've got quite a few 10 inch singles. Not old 78s, but there was a spate of them in the late eighties / early nineties, presumably for marketing reasons. I've got three by the Lemonheads alone, plus ones by I Ludicrous, Throwing Muses, Fatima Mansions, PWEI, A House and Aztec Camera. I've also got a 10" double groove by the Proclaimers. Double groove was a strange concept where two tracks were etched into one side and you got to hear whichever one the needle dropped into. That was quite annoying, but not as annoying as the 5" single I have by Green on Red that would operate the automatic arm return on my turntable the moment you placed the needle on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here