Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 1% Pay Rise for Nurses.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In our little enclave of five houses and a stable converted to a flat, we have an A&E consultant, a GP, an ICU Registrar, and a Paramedic*. From that sample size of four, not one is doing it for the money - particularly over the last year. This doesn't mean we shouldn't pay them appropriately, of course.

*It does mean we're reasonably well catered for in terms of medical help from the neighbours though. Builders/plumbers/sparks/chippies - less so. If the neighbours want a SME Director to lend them a hand with their circumstances I stand ready and waiting. Oddly, there's been little take-up so far. They do like the wine I provide though.

We need to go back to the village life where the doctor had respect but no more than the carpenter or the baker or

the blacksmith or Miss Molly who’d sort your back problems and more........

Or have I just got stuck in an ITV weekly drama from the Dales.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
They pay course fees of 9,250 per annum.
They also work on placement without pay, it’s part of the training ... so they are effectively charged for working in a hospital!

I suspect that the reason the 5k is granted is that there are laws regards making people work for nothing .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is the 9250 less 5k part of a student loan?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We need to go back to the village life where the doctor had respect but no more than the carpenter or the baker or

the blacksmith or Miss Molly who’d sort your back problems and more........

Or have I just got stuck in an ITV weekly drama from the Dales.

Sounds like Midsommer Murders

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
They pay course fees of 9,250 per annum.
They also work on placement without pay, it’s part of the training ... so they are effectively charged for working in a hospital!

I suspect that the reason the 5k is granted is that there are laws regards making people work for nothing .....

I’ve answered my own question

24.How will my student loan be affected?
This new financial package (5k) is additional maintenance funding to help students with living costs. Eligible students will be able to continue accessing funding for tuition fees and maintenance loans from the Student Loan Company.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Its kind of ironic that Johnson bleats about having to muddle through on £150 K a year and performing ridiculously badly as PM yet, nursing staff who have performed above and beyond the call of duty mostly accept their lot.... no charities are formed to fund re-decorating their flats,No posh food donations delivered to them either.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
MPs salary rises
2012 £65,738
2013 £66,396
2014 £67,060
2015 £74,000
2016 £74,962
2017 £76,011
2018 £77,379
2019 £79,469
2020 £81,932

https://www.statista.com/statistics/388885/mp-salary-uk/

Nurses pay, on the other hand, between 2010 and 2018 fell, on average by 7.4% although this was very slightly offset by a 2% rise between June 18 and Dec 19, ie 18 months.

https://fullfact.org/health/nurse-pay-may-2020/

Meanwhile, using the emergency measures in place, the government have been busy lining the pockets of friends and donors by awarding contracts left right and centre.

So forgive me if my heart doesn't bleed for the MPs sacrificing a pay rise this year.

Mine neither (our eldest is a nurse), I was responding to a specific comment

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I’ve answered my own question

24.How will my student loan be affected?
This new financial package (5k) is additional maintenance funding to help students with living costs. Eligible students will be able to continue accessing funding for tuition fees and maintenance loans from the Student Loan Company.

Maintenance funding ..... I think not. The problem is that student nurses effectively work as unpaid help as they must spend 2,300 hours on work experience. No work experience/placement ... no degree. That’s 191 days (12 hour shifts) for which there is no payment. University students who spend time on placement or in industry are paid a wage. I believe that unpaid internships are illegal hence the 5k.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As you say, nurses do it for the love, and then the money.

I know 4 nurses, they all have money to burn and they are also all on very good pensions.

Not many people have those benefits at the moment.

Unions are just stirring it again, no surprise there.

Labour are using aggressive fighting words to spread more hate, with the its 'like being kicked in the face' as spewed out of the ineffective Ashworth.

I suppose they are getting desperate about their poll ratings.

Bet the ones you know are all quite old, not newly-qualifieds, with 40k of Uni debt and struggling to pay their rent on £25k a year.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Even as a labour voter I would just be concentrating on doing everything to get businesses and jobs back. Not until economy back up and running would I look at increases to those whose incomes were not effected by lockdowns

D

Deleted member 2719

You do realise that nurses also have to pay for their own training. This is how much we 'value' people in that profession.

1% would have been an insult even before this pandemic and it would probably have been all they would have been offered then.

Unfortunately, with our NHS workers and teachers we fall back on the argument that they 'care' about their patients and pupils more than the money. That might be true, but it doesn't mean they should be fairly rewarded.

IMO they would have got more than 1% before this pandemic.

The nurses have without doubt had an extremely hard year, I would never do their job, however, they love it or they would not do it, we do have a choice in what we do. I do feel for any new recruits who hadn't got to grips what nursing was all about. They truly have had a tough introduction to nursing, but those that have got through it, the experience will be invaluable should they continue.

I feel for everyone that got no pay rise and those that got, ended up on universal credit to no fault of there own at an age that they may now never get a job again.

I think we can all agree covid has wrecked lives and will continue to do so, but to open the flood gates up any more would be suicidal for the country. However much Rishi had given them would have been a problem for those who are just looking to whinge.

Just imagine all that furlough money that has supported the UK, Rishi and the tories have truly pulled out all the stops.

D

Deleted member 2719

Bet the ones you know are all quite old, not newly-qualifieds, with 40k of Uni debt and struggling to pay their rent on £25k a year.

Okay, so they are mature. But I remember being an apprentice with jobs dropping like flies. The Labour years of 74-79 hurt everyone. There was no pandemic.

I can't say I do understand the uni debt. As uni was for the privilege and still is IMO. I had a 36k debt back in 1991, which would have been equivalent to about 120k now in real terms, so perhaps I am hardened to it. I just think taking it tough can make you fly, its good for you if you look it in the eye.

Attachments

• Uk inflation.PNG
    Uk inflation.PNG
    91 KB · Views: 97

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Okay, so they are mature. But I remember being an apprentice with jobs dropping like flies. The Labour years of 74-79 hurt everyone. There was no pandemic.

I can't say I do understand the uni debt. As uni was for the privilege and still is IMO. I had a 36k debt back in 1991, which would have been equivalent to about 120k now in real terms, so perhaps I am hardened to it. I just think taking it tough can make you fly, its good for you if you look it in the eye.

You can’t become a nurse without a degree. Hardly a privilege.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I'm unsure why we can't wait for the NHS pay review that is due soon?
Yes 1% seems derisory, but some nursing groups were lobbying for 12.5-15% rises last summer.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I consider all front line emergency staff are unpaid for the work they do in comparison to unskilled jobs in the private sector. They should be paid more.

I would argue however they can’t claim to not know the publicly available salary bands before the commitment.

Tin hat time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Maintenance funding ..... I think not. The problem is that student nurses effectively work as unpaid help as they must spend 2,300 hours on work experience. No work experience/placement ... no degree. That’s 191 days (12 hour shifts) for which there is no payment. University students who spend time on placement or in industry are paid a wage. I believe that unpaid internships are illegal hence the 5k.

I think you’re wasting your breath with chicken boy.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
1% feels like an insult, but I think 5% or 10% would be also not be enough too, given the fantastic effort and dedication of NHS staff in the past 12 months. If the long term cost of paying more than 1% isn’t affordable, I hope government might consider a significant one off bonus for key staff and increased holiday allowance (paid) for a couple of years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here