Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1 goal in 3 games

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
When was the last time they dominated midfield , the answer is never , because they don’t have pace and power , our other midfield players are too lightweight to do any extra running

Did we not dominate midfield against Arsenal?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Without £200m to jizz on two world class forwards, I'm afraid we are unlikely to score lots of goals at this level.

I think the real issue has been the absence of a match fit Lamptey, Bissouma and Webster At their best, these three walk into the side and without them we are simply not as effective. It's that simple. We missed Webster massively yesterday as Duffy is so limited bringing the ball out.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Lets get Lamptey and webster fully fit and Bissouma back in the starting eleven

If we are still not scoring,then worry.I am beginning to believe like Swanny,our problems are not up-front.Ally Mac should certainly start instead of Gross( fine player that he is!)

i'm predicting now we will score at least one against ManCity!! They wont sit back and pack the defence like Norwich did (who played more like the away side). We will get opportunities against the City defence who play higher up the field.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not enough pace over the ground and not moving the ball quick enough to stretch an opponent.

Taking out ball players and putting in flyers out side will leave us more vulnerable, but who wants nil nil's every game? (well apart from in the next two)

March, Bissouma and Lamptey in for Moder, Veltman and Gross

--------------Sanchez
----------Duffy Dunk Burn
Lamptey Bissouma Lallana Cucc
----------March Trossard
--------------Maupay

The tactic against better teams should to get our wing backs up as high as possible and always go on the outside, try to get corners, get the big fellas to trundle up and cause chaos. Both City and Liverpool have one extremely good player at defending set pieces. But only one. Apart from that are vulnerable if we get our set pieces right.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Over the course of the first few games, where there was much "Brighton have sorted out their goalscoring problem" and "what have Brighton changed this season?" type stuff in the media, I was thinking "Oh no we haven't" and "nothing".

We had a bit of good fortune over the first few games but, frankly, we were due a bit.

We remain what we have been for a while: a very good footballing side lacking a clinical edge.

Obtaining that clinical edge is difficult, costly and there are no guarantees that any attempted solution will work.

Fortunately our miserly defence helps mitigate what we lack at the other end of the pitch.

There is definitely an element of those very critical of GP and the team last season saying 'something has changed'. I'm with you and all those liking your post - we're just progressing aren't we - no real changes as far as I can see. Couple of players have a bit more self belief perhaps, but the overriding feeling is; we're catching some breaks this season, the opposition aren't smashing in worldies, we're taking some chances.

Margins are tiny in elite sport. I don't think we're even playing as well or as consistently as last season, but the margins are falling our way in a fair share of the games so far.

If you take the 8 games of this season and add them to the last 30 of last season, we'd be on a 50 pt season. We've been at that level for sometime, only the results and points have just started to catch up with performances. Hopefully we can ride a bit of the belief and confidence now and sustain our share of the margins.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Agreed with all this but would also suggest it’s very hard to have both - ie be a great defensive unit but also be scoring a lot etc. But yes, as [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] says l, it’s unlikely to get better than this so enjoy it - we could be on for our best ever season. 1 defeat in 8 in the prem is superb.

Only 8 teams have a positive GD at present - we are one of them, only 6 teams have a better GD. We've conceded just 5 goals, 5! An attacking team at that too.

Maybe we need a counter thread: 2 goals against in 5 games.:albion2:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think we'd be creating more with Biss (in turn allows Lallana more freedom to get forward because he's so good at covering ground and winning the ball) and Webster (carries the ball forward so well) back in the lineup - hopefully not too long to wait for that, and with Lamptey and Cucu out wide we'll be far more dangerous. If we've got that lineup against Toon we'll rip them to shreds.

In the meantime, 1 defeat in 8, only 5 goals conceded, 4th place....................yeah I'll take that :D

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Only 8 teams have a positive GD at present - we are one of them, only 6 teams have a better GD. We've conceded just 5 goals, 5! An attacking team at that too.

Absolutely, defensively we're superb and we're still playing some really good stuff. I love our patterns of play, we're streets ahead of most sides in the PL at this. I think we're probably the best coached side in the league.

Like I've said a couple of times, this wasn't meant to come across negative, just a discussion looking at area's we can improve and how we do that. Scoring more goals across the team is one of those area's - I'm sure Potter and the coaches are looking at it too.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Don’t forget one of those was in the first few mins of the season - 2 were pens - and we sold one of our first choice defenders for £50mil - what a time to be an Albion fan eh…

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
‘Told you the club ****ed up by not signing a striker’ posts incoming from the usual suspects :shrug:

Well, we obviously should. And Welbs injury just emphasises this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Absolutely, defensively we're superb and we're still playing some really good stuff. I love our patterns of play, we're streets ahead of most sides in the PL at this. I think we're probably the best coached side in the league.

Like I've said a couple of times, this wasn't meant to come across negative, just a discussion looking at area's we can improve and how we do that. Scoring more goals across the team is one of those area's - I'm sure Potter and the coaches are looking at it too.

I don’t know why you keep trying to justify yourself FS. Putting aside everything else, one goal in three games is not enough, in any form of football. You make a fair point. And it’s not negative, it’s a statistical fact. And this is a football message board.
As for what to do about it - I like Maupay but you can’t legislate for that miss from the March cross. He should have scored. If he does, then all the discussion goes away. Fine margins.
He’s done OK this season though, and as long as he can keep playing we will be fine. I keep hoping macallister will make it impossible for him not to be picked, but it’s hasn’t quite happened yet. He could be a goal threat.
Also - we have to review attacking set pieces. I wouldn’t start Gross, full stop, but certainly not as main set piece taker. Moder deserves more of a go. A few ugly set piece goals would ease the pressure to score. Our superb points tally so far helps with that too.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

That would involve giving Duffy some credit.
Judging by some of the pointless comments made on here, when he left for Celtic, I think we can fairly safely say some posters aren't quite there.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
As this isn't a negative thread, I will say that the thread title 1 in 3 also relates to the number of goals conceded in the last 3 games and a reflection of our place in the table of clean sheets in the past year - so no, not negative at all...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here