Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 0-14: England in big tournament knockout matches vs big teams on foreign soil

phoenix

May 18, 2009
1954: L Uruguay QF WC Basel
1962: L Brazil QF WC Vina Del Mar
1968: L Yugoslavia SF Euros Florence
1970: L West Germany QF aet WC Leon
1986: L Argentina QF WC Mexico City
1990: L West Germany SF pens WC Turin
1998: L Argentina L16 pens WC St. Etienne
2002: L Brazil QF WC Shizuoka
2004: L Portugal QF pens Euros Lisbon
2006: L Portugal QF pens WC Gelsenkirchen
2010: L Germany L16 WC Bloemfontein
2012: L Italy QF pens Euros Kiev
2018: L Croatia SF aet WC Moscow
2022: L France QF WC Al Khor
That went well (y) :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If it makes you feel better, you'll be able to add another team to your list in a few hours.
What list is that? The only list I know of is this:

England's run of wins on foreign soil in major knockout tournaments against big sides:

2024 W Netherlands SF Euros Dortmund

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What list is that? The only list I know of is this:

England's run of wins on foreign soil in major knockout tournaments against big sides:

2024 W Netherlands SF Euros Dortmund

You're welcome

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Just out of interest - how many times have we played a team ranked above us in a competitive match under Southgate?
Croatia, france, Italy are the 3 (netherlands in nations league and Belgium in wc 3rd place play off too)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Under Southgate we've played 13 of 102 games (including all games) against higher ranked teams. We won 2, drew 5, lost 6.

Of actual competitive games:

2018 World Cup Group - Lost to Belgium (12 vs 3)
2018 World Cup 3rd Place - Lost to Belgium (12 vs 3)
2018-19 Nations League Group - Drew with Croatia (6 vs 4)
2018-19 Nations League Group - Beat Croatia (5 vs 4)
2020-21 Nations League Group - Beat Belgium (4 vs 1)
2020-21 Nations League Group - Lost to Belgium (4 vs 1)
2022 World Cup Quarter Final - Lost to France (5 vs 4)

Given the Nations League is a big of a joke, we've only really played 3 against higher ranked sides and one of those was way back in 2018

Croatia, france, Italy are the 3 (netherlands in nations league and Belgium in wc 3rd place play off too)

Well, these two answers are very different! No idea which is correct.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
im with you Triggs why do people have to put the boot in we were in a euro semi-final now final. I Don't get it !
Who's putting the boot in? This was a thread of facts, not opinions. If anything, I was trying to tempt fate by posting it. A horrible run is over, our players have achieved something very speciall tonight and it is important that young fans especially know just how painful it has been away from home for decades.

These nights do not happen that often and these players go down in history.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
im with you Triggs why do people have to put the boot in we were in a euro semi-final now final. I Don't get it !

I don't mind him bringing it up. When we write our teams off, it's usually in the hope we're later proven wrong.

It is good to get to the final, but like every other tournament in my lifetime, we still won't win.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is good to get to the final, but like every other tournament in my lifetime, we still won't win.
We have a chance. I have seen a number of Euro tournaments where the underdog has won - Greece v Portugal, Denmark v Germany spring to mind.

Spain will be favourites but will also see England are peaking at the right time and will have some concerns tonight.

Can certainly see why Holland ranked below England, huff and puff team that is not a patch on their great heritage, but the lagging rankings are obviously a bit absurd re. this new Spain team.

For the first time in this tournament England will play a better team on Sunday. They’ll need that first half performance tonight for the 90 plus minutes then

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I think Spain could give us a chance to play for once in this tournament.

The Southgate luck can achieve great things :)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Just out of interest - how many times have we played a team ranked above us in a competitive match under Southgate?
Given that we're 5th in the World Rankings, I would suspect that it's very rare, especially given that the top 4 is Brazil (last played in s00s L1-2), Argentina (last played in 2002 W1-0), Belgium (last played in the Nations League in 2020 W 2-1 L 0-2) and France (last played in the last WC SF L 2-1)

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Well, these two answers are very different! No idea which is correct.
Croatia in World Cup, we were ranked 7th and they were ranked 12th.
France I annoyingly got correct in my source data and then f***ed up when posting. We were 5th, they were 4th.
Italy in Euros final, we were ranked 4th and they were ranked 7th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here