Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darren Bent not going to WC

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Excellent. Not good enough

No, excellent because he can't pick up an injury out there, and be unfit for the start of the football that matters in August: and I'll make an early request that no Seagull kicks our Darren in The Algarve.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
in any other country the 2nd top goal scorer in their top division would WALTZ to the world cup over a player who hasnt played for his team and doesn't score any goals.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Finishing fourth, now that's ambition

You don't think breaking into a monopoly (tetropoly?) to qualify for champions league (as a stepping stone to bring in greater finance, attract better players to be in a better position to challenge for the division title) is a loftier ambition than "not be fighting relegation come may" or "mid table mediocrity"?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You don't think breaking into a monopoly (tetropoly?) to qualify for champions league (as a stepping stone to bring in greater finance, attract better players to be in a better position to challenge for the division title) is a loftier ambition than "not be fighting relegation come may" or "mid table mediocrity"?

If Charlton or Sundreland had Spur's budget, ground and support I reckon they'd have have the ambition of trying to break into the top four

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
in any other country the 2nd top goal scorer in their top division would WALTZ to the world cup over a player who hasnt played for his team and doesn't score any goals.

Miccoli not in Italian squad, Kuranyi Germany, Soldado Spain, Gameiro France. All the second highest native scorers in their domestic leagues (except Gameiro who is the top scorer) and not in the World Cup. Admittedly the players in their squads instead may have scored more than Heskey but it does rather prove the point that it isnot about goals domestically.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If Charlton or Sundreland had Spur's budget, ground and support I reckon they'd have have the ambition of trying to break into the top four

You weren't talking about budgets etc. You made it seem like finishing fourth isn't a very good ambition.

With the way the Premier League has it's top four set for so many seasons, I'd saying finishing fourth is a very good ambition to have.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You weren't talking about budgets etc. You made it seem like finishing fourth isn't a very good ambition.

With the way the Premier League has it's top four set for so many seasons, I'd saying finishing fourth is a very good ambition to have.

You can't talk about ambition with the other factors playing a part. If Man U said finishing in fourth was there goal, they wouldn't be ambitious

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here