Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why I hate Labour

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This wasn't an election issue but this sort of thing is precisely why I want to see the back of the Labour government.

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/twitterer-fined-1000-for-airport-bomb-scare-688371

I can't recall any government in my lifetime that has been so ready to involve the law courts in trivial matters. Nor one so free to use the words 'anti-terror' so casually. Nor one so happy to criminalise citizens for nonsensical reasons.

A desperate, legislation-happy, near Stalinist, Big Brother state. I can't wait for the whole lot of them to go.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They have been a party of empty promises, full of career politicians more concerned with rising up the ranks than actually making change happen. What happened to the reform of the house of Lords we were promised? We still have unelected peers FFS. And what about the vote on the Lisbon treaty? And ni the same "easy option" vein, why did we go into Iraq? Much easier to do as your told by the Americans, what with this mythical "special relationship" to protect.

Not a fan of the tories either, but Labour have badly let down its own supporters in many areas.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Empty promises from politicians are par for the course. A casual disregard for civil liberties and freedom of speech isn't.

A shameful day.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
This wasn't an election issue but this sort of thing is precisely why I want to see the back of the Labour government.

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/twitterer-fined-1000-for-airport-bomb-scare-688371

I can't recall any government in my lifetime that has been so ready to involve the law courts in trivial matters. Nor one so free to use the words 'anti-terror' so casually. Nor one so happy to criminalise citizens for nonsensical reasons.

A desperate, legislation-happy, near Stalinist, Big Brother state. I can't wait for the whole lot of them to go.

I don't necessarily disagreee with you but what has the prosecution of this buffoon got to do with the Labour govt.?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

This is the law:

Improper use of public electronic communications network .(1)
A person is guilty of an offence if he— .
(a)
sends by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character; or .
(b)
causes any such message or matter to be so sent. .
(2)
A person is guilty of an offence if, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, he— .
(a)
sends by means of a public electronic communications network, a message that he knows to be false, .
(b)
causes such a message to be sent; or .
(c)
persistently makes use of a public electronic communications network. .
(3)
A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable, on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or to both. .
(4)
Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to anything done in the course of providing a programme service (within the meaning of the Broadcasting Act 1990 (c. 42)).

Not wholy unreasonable is it? I mean, in this case it seems harshly applied, but thats the police, not the government's, responsibility

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
128660498159844805.jpg

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Because the Tories andLib/Dems have been constantly speaking against Labours erosion of civil liberties,do pay attention.

As a politicians default stance it to automatically gainsay everything the oppostion says and does, how can you tell when they really mean it ? Just because they dis Labour over it now, doesn't mean they will be any better if they get power.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Never again.

Oh my god i've turned into my dad.Does this happen to everyone?ie you're left-wing with good intentions when your young,but when you grow up and realise "its the economy stupid" then you become a tory.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't necessarily disagreee with you but what has the prosecution of this buffoon got to do with the Labour govt.?

Because he was prosecuted by the government-run prosecuting agency CPS under a law passed by the Labour government

There's really good background on the always-excellent Jack of kent blog

Jack of Kent: Paul Chambers: a Bad Joke and a Bad Prosecution

An appalling decision. The bloke was an idiot for making the 'joke' that he did, but if we were to prosecute everyone who made a stupid statement in public, half of NSC would be criminals.

As to whether the Tories would be any better, I'd like to think so, but I fear not. Now that a precedent has been set, there's a nice weapon for future use.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Never again.

Oh my god i've turned into my dad.Does this happen to everyone?ie you're left-wing with good intentions when your young,but when you grow up and realise "its the economy stupid" then you become a tory.

Remember the economy,stupid,when the Tories were last "in control" ?

Thought not.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Because he was prosecuted by the government-run prosecuting agency CPS (an agency set up by the Tories in 1985) under a law passed by the Labour government Hasn't it always been the case that you could get prosecuted for threatening to blow up airports etc. Been plenty of cases of people who have made a joke in the queue at the airport and have been done for it.

There's really good background on the always-excellent Jack of kent blog

Jack of Kent: Paul Chambers: a Bad Joke and a Bad Prosecution

An appalling decision. The bloke was an idiot for making the 'joke' that he did, but if we were to prosecute everyone who made a stupid statement in public, half of NSC would be criminals.

As to whether the Tories would be any better, I'd like to think so, but I fear not. Now that a precedent has been set, there's a nice weapon for future use.

No party is likely to repeal this or if they do, they will replace it with something similar.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hasn't it always been the case that you could get prosecuted for threatening to blow up airports etc. Been plenty of cases of people who have made a joke in the queue at the airport and have been done for it.

This wasn't making a joke in airport queue or to airport staff, this was a joke among friends. There's a big difference.

Hasn't it always been the case that you could get prosecuted for threatening to blow up airports etc. Been plenty of cases of people who have made a joke in the queue at the airport and have been done for it.

This wasn't making a joke in airport queue or to airport staff, this was a joke among friends. There's a big difference.

No it wasn't.

So anyone repeating the phrase "bomb the airport" is joking! Sound pretty clear intent to me Sorry but I'd take it bloody serious;y if I was in then security services

It was made on public communications network that is available to all users. That is the crucial difference

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here