Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gosh what if the UK LEFT nato and the zero rate of VAT on new homes was..

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

D

Deleted User X18H

ended, increasing house prices by about 44 grand here in Brighton.

Voting Green? Is this what you really mean?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think you quite grasp the thinking here.

The idea of ending the VAT on new homes is to stop people building on greenfield sites and start looking at renovating empty homes and commercial buildings first. For example, there's that monstrosity in Preston Road that has been empty for years - or the disused Preston Barracks, which supposedly has been acquired for development but has stood empty for years and years.

So, it's not about putting up prices of property, it's to try to use the ones we already have better (there are an estimated a million empty homes in the UK that could be put to better use).

Besides, your calculation assumes that a) every property for sale in Brighton is a new build and b) that VAT would be levied at 17.5% which is not necessarily the case.

There are several things that I think that the Green Party has got wrong but its efforts in trying to build on brownfield sites is not one of them.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I heard a story this week from someone who is having problems with a neighbour over the fence between their properties, this person hasn't lived in the house for 14 years, during which time they have maintained it but left it empty. Goodness only knows why someone would keep a house empty for that length of time, rather than sell it or at least let it to generate some income.

This appears to be a far more common situation than anyone would believe, if the stats from the greens are to be believed. It will take a really determined Government to sort this one out, you can't really force people to let or dispose of properties if they don't want to, but there must be a way to tax them heavily if they don't.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
left UK years ago. u lot r crazy living there.

the election is a sham, research bilderberg.

D

Deleted User X18H

I don't think you quite grasp the thinking here.

The idea of ending the VAT on new homes is to stop people building on greenfield sites and start looking at renovating empty homes and commercial buildings first. For example, there's that monstrosity in Preston Road that has been empty for years - or the disused Preston Barracks, which supposedly has been acquired for development but has stood empty for years and years.

So, it's not about putting up prices of property, it's to try to use the ones we already have better (there are an estimated a million empty homes in the UK that could be put to better use).

Besides, your calculation assumes that a) every property for sale in Brighton is a new build and b) that VAT would be levied at 17.5% which is not necessarily the case.

There are several things that I think that the Green Party has got wrong but its efforts in trying to build on brownfield sites is not one of them.

What about offering everyone irrespective of wealth and status free school meals and loft insulation, its crazy spend spend spend.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What about offering everyone irrespective of wealth and status free school meals and loft insulation, its crazy spend spend spend.

You haven't read the manifesto.

They don't propose loft insulation to everyone irrespective of wealth. It's offered to pensioners and people in need.

They do offer free school meals to everyone and I'm not sure that's the best way to spend £2bn - but it's not the worst policy in the world.

D

Deleted User X18H

You haven't read the manifesto.

They don't propose loft insulation to everyone irrespective of wealth. It's offered to pensioners and people in need.

They do offer free school meals to everyone and I'm not sure that's the best way to spend £2bn - but it's not the worst policy in the world.

I have read the manifesto page 20 OK old people irrespective of wealth and status.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have read the manifesto page 20 OK old people irrespective of wealth and status.

I think you'll find that both the Tories and Labour propose pensioner travel cards, free prescriptions and winter fuel allowances regardless of wealth and status too.

There's a cost involved in means testing pensioners that means it's probably cheaper to offer such benefits to everyone, regardless of wealth.

I don't agree with everything in the Green manifesto. One area that the Greens haven't got to grips with is the pension age itself. I think that raising it is essential as we really can't afford to pay pensions from 65 for ever. Labour and Tories see this: LDs and Greens don't.

However, I reckon that the Greens are about 80% in line with my views - that's good enough for me.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
did anybody see the independent analysis of the claims made in the thursday debate on bbc news this morning:

clegg exaggerated the child element of working tax credit that an mp could get (it's actually £1 per week assuming the child was under 1 and the partner wasn't working)

cameron's inheritance tax actually benefits those with estates over a million to the average tune of 400k (so the top 2000 estates that is) wheras the next 3000 estates would benefit by 250k. the total plan costs 1bn!

brown made an error when he said top rate tax would be 100k+. it apparently will be 150k+

of these the tory one is the item that sticks most in my throat in the current climate

Last edited:

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
:

Your choice son.
There is nothing wrong with our country, its the twats that are running it, thats the problem.
I have been all over the world, but there is still nothing that can beat walking in the devon countryside on a fine summers day.

My choice :thumbsup:

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
HB&B self confessed Tory canvasser doing his best to smear Green - could he be worried about losing Brighton Pavillion?

Leaflet from Charlotte came through yesterday doing the same - made me want to vote Green!!

D

Deleted User X18H

HB&B self confessed Tory canvasser doing his best to smear Green - could he be worried about losing Brighton Pavillion?

Leaflet from Charlotte came through yesterday doing the same - made me want to vote Green!!

If you live in Scarborough, Hampstead,Compton, or Robertson Roads or Tivoli Cresent or even Woodside Avenue and anywhere in Port Hall I probably delivered it. Made you want to vote Green? Well we are so lucky to live in a fair democracy.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

for all Englands faults I never get the ex pat mentality. A gas guzzler some sunshine and massive steaks in the fridge that are cheaper is too big a price to pay for selling out your country to live under the yanks or arabs.

They then spend there whole time pitched up in pubs watching briitish football and banging on about 'Englands finished' and how clever they are to have got out to Dubai or somewhere else desolate and run by loonies. England is brilliant that is exactly why people want to come here. All the 'its finished' merchants would probably have been giving broken down panzers a push in 1940 if they had invaded. Not what Englands about at all that mentality.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
HB & B
You've not responded to Gywlan's corrections, are you accepting he's correct? could you not that have thought that out for yourself before posting Tory propoganda?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here