Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DIY....Falmer....Credit crunch

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Have you bought any steel lately! The cost of materials and the credit crunch worries me . Please explain to me why i should not be concerned about the funding o
f Falmer.......I know we have all the PR,but........!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They are actively working to decrease the amount of steel in the stadium.

From the presentation we were given at SOL it would appear that the "credit crunch" won't affect a construction of this type.

It possibly work in our favour. A lot of the constructors working on the stadium (apart from the major infrastructure) will have been affected by the decrease in new house building. There should therefore be quite a lot of competition for the work.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They are actively working to decrease the amount of steel in the stadium.

From the presentation we were given at SOL it would appear that the "credit crunch" won't affect a construction of this type.

It possibly work in our favour. A lot of the constructors working on the stadium (apart from the major infrastructure) will have been affected by the decrease in new house building. There should therefore be quite a lot of competition for the work.

.....but surely the credit crunch will affect the loans to pay for the building of the stadium?

Regardless of the choice of material it will still cost money to build...which will still need to be borrowed?

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
I posted a similar thread last week. Not sure whether to worry or not. Surely a 'cooling off' of demand for steel, labour etc COULD work in our favour in terms of lower costs.

Not sure though, any construction industry buffs out there?:shrug:

Some redesign work on the stadium has been done - saving an estimated £6 million on the price of the steel required.

Cue a thread suggesting that we spend the six million on a couple of defenders.

:)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some redesign work on the stadium has been done - saving an estimated £6 million on the price of the steel required.

Cue a thread suggesting that we spend the six million on a couple of defenders.

:)

That's the roofing gone then.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
.....but surely the credit crunch will affect the loans to pay for the building of the stadium?

Regardless of the choice of material it will still cost money to build...which will still need to be borrowed?

I don't know a lot about finance to be honest, but the question was asked and the answer was no - the advisors don't see a problem.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't know a lot about finance to be honest, but the question was asked and the answer was no - the advisors don't see a problem.

Fair enough. I guess we will find out soon given the first bit of earth is to be dug in November.

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton

An interesting point. The banks have certainly become more risk adverse but that is more in the sub-prime consumer lending sector. Falmer would be commercial lending and if I remember correctly a large part of it is from a mortgage against season tickets, which further reduces the risk.

In the current environment the lending decision would probably be subject to more scrutiny but I doubt it will be a problem to secure finance. Ultimately the banks still have to lend money to make money and there's a huge difference between high-risk consumer lending and commercial lending to a club that's been around in one form or another for over 100 years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Will the club be employing lazy British people to do the construction work or those super efficient polish workers?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
We wont need steel until next year, hopefully the price will have stabilised by then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
An interesting point. The banks have certainly become more risk adverse but that is more in the sub-prime consumer lending sector. Falmer would be commercial lending and if I remember correctly a large part of it is from a mortgage against season tickets, which further reduces the risk.

In the current environment the lending decision would probably be subject to more scrutiny but I doubt it will be a problem to secure finance. Ultimately the banks still have to lend money to make money and there's a huge difference between high-risk consumer lending and commercial lending to a club that's been around in one form or another for over 100 years.

A fair reply but Liverpool had to scale down their plans for a new ground because of the credit crunch. Here is an article. All of the arguments you give can be used for Liverpool...and they struggled/failed to raise all the required money. If they have problems then surely we will?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/12/18/sfnliv118.xml

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A fair reply but Liverpool had to scale down their plans for a new ground because of the credit crunch. Here is an article. All of the arguments you give can be used for Liverpool...and they struggled/failed to raise all the required money. If they have problems then surely we will?

We won't be borrowing any like what Liverpool require though. I'm not sure you can draw a comparision.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We won't be borrowing any like what Liverpool require though. I'm not sure you can draw a comparision.

Fair point. I just wish the club would give a reason when they say it wont be a problem....to put my worry to rest.

Maybe the key bit of the Telegraph article is this:-

"The Americans, who bought the club from David Moores last January in a £174 million deal, want to re-finance the £298m they borrowed from Royal Bank of Scotland to pay for the deal and give them working capital for players and the stadium.

"That two-year loan expires in 2009 and Hicks and Gillett want to roll the deal into a long-term package to help them to pay for the new stadium".

Hicks and Gillett are up to something much more complicated than just building a new stadium. The banks may not be convinced that their bigger plan is viable (or even coherent).

Fair point. I just wish the club would give a reason when they say it wont be a problem....to put my worry to rest.
A public statement might put your worry to rest, but at this stage it might just as easily irritate the financiers, by giving the impression that they are being taken for granted.

I would expect that PricewaterhouseCoopers are advising the club to keep schtum right now.

Until the tenders are in, they certainly won't want the size of any potential loan being made public. That simply invites contractors to put their prices up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here