Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why was Sparrow withdrawn and not Dicker?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Simple question really, why was Sparrow withdrawn and Dicker left on? What on earth did Dicker contribute? It's a shame he's injured and no-one wants to see that, but that was probably the only way he was going to lose his place on the night and for Birmingham on saturday. He offered nothing in defence, nothing in the midfield and certainly nothing in attack. And yet it was Sparrow, quietly effective and heavily involved in the game, who was withdrawn. It's the first time I've questioned a Gus substitution, and I wonder if anyone can add any context? What was the thinking?

(Just to add, Gus can do what he wants, he's more than earnt that right. But I disagreed with him)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Sparrow gave the ball away more times than I've had hot dinners in the first half

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I know NSC has a blind spot but I thought Dicker was having a good game.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I sold Sparrows 'performance'with the bookies & I won, so you are wrong, I'd have sold Dicker & Bridcutt given the chance but no bets...the way to do well is to score or Assist & between the 3 none of them are good enough at that...Vicente is better than any 2 of them put together & the reason why Almunia doesn't need to wash his 2nd half gloved

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sparrow was having a decent game, his substitution was purely tactical I think.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Agreed sparrow has done pretty well since returning to the team. His stamina, physical presence and industry in midfield makes us a lot more solid in the middle of the park.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Dicker did ok, not great, not terrible, nasty injury as well. He's not a bad player and certainly doesn't deserve the vitriol he receives on this board. NSC always has to have a boo boy right, well he'll be out for a while now, Harper's replaced Kasper, i reckon it'll be Painter.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Until this season, I've really liked Dicker as a player. But at this level he is far too slow in thought, and gets caught in posession too often. Tonight he wasn't involved in the game at all, whereas I thought Sparrow was quite heavily involved. I don't think he produced as much as he should have, but he kept getting on the ball and trying to make things happen. I thought Dicker was a complete passenger and the wrong midfielder was replaced. I have rarely been as annoyed by a substitution.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Until this season, I've really liked Dicker as a player. But at this level he is far too slow in thought, and gets caught in posession too often. Tonight he wasn't involved in the game at all, whereas I thought Sparrow was quite heavily involved. I don't think he produced as much as he should have, but he kept getting on the ball and trying to make things happen. I thought Dicker was a complete passenger and the wrong midfielder was replaced. I have rarely been as annoyed by a substitution.

Totally agree. Sparrow might have given the odd ball away but at least he wasn't scared of being on the pitch. Dicker looks totally, totally lost atm.

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
Yeah I was pleased by Dicker's performance this evening, played a whole lot better than usual. Sparrow didn't really do much for me.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
Dicker was better than Sparrow and Bridcutt combined yet still people moan. Get rid of your preconceptions...

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Thought Dicker was playing better than he has done for a while.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Dicker was better than Sparrow and Bridcutt combined yet still people moan. Get rid of your preconceptions...

What game were you watching? Dicker didn't get on the ball at all, he was a complete passenger from start to finish. I have nothing against Dicker, in fact I've always liked him, but he isn't contributing anything positive. It's a real shame he's picked up his injury, but I think he would have lost his place for saturday anyway. I'm not sure what game people were watching, I can't recall Dicker being involved at all.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
I must have been watching a totally different game to most then. Yet another ineffectual Dicker performance for me. Just not up to the pace of the Championship.

Sparrow was okay in fits and starts.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
What game were you watching? Dicker didn't get on the ball at all, he was a complete passenger from start to finish. I have nothing against Dicker, in fact I've always liked him, but he isn't contributing anything positive. It's a real shame he's picked up his injury, but I think he would have lost his place for saturday anyway. I'm not sure what game people were watching, I can't recall Dicker being involved at all.

Bridcutt gave it away loads and I have to be honest I didn't know Sparrow was even on the pitch. I never said Dicker was exceptional, although he started the game brilliantly, but he was better than the other two.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Thought Dicker played a good game today and probably the best I have seen him this season. Noticed Sparrow give the ball away a few more times. To be honest I think you see different things according to which stand you watch from. Always feel the WSU have the best overview as long as they have decent eyesight to go with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here