Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Henderson or David Yelldell

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
http://www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/sport/SPORT0.html

Albion poised to sign keeper

by Andy Naylor

Albion are poised to solve their goalkeeping crisis today by signing on loan one of two young prospects with Premiership clubs.

Wayne Henderson from Aston Villa will make his debut for the Seagulls at Leeds tomorrow, providing Villa can overcome a contractual hitch relating to his current loan spell with Notts County.

If the matter cannot be resolved then the Seagulls will turn their attention to Blackburn's David Yelldell.

Henderson, a Republic of Ireland under-21 international, is in his second loan stint of the season with League Two strugglers County.

The Dubliner, 21, had loan periods last season with Conference club Tamworth and Wycombe Wanderers.

Henderson, third choice at Villa behind Danish international Thomas Sorensen and German Stefan Postma, hails from the Cherry Orchard club where Tottenham's former Albion loan midfielder Mark Yeates also began his career.

Yelldell, a 23-year-old American, has yet to make a senior appearance in English football. He was signed for Blackburn by former manager Graeme Souness from German club Stuttgart Kickers for £100,000 in August 2003.

Yelldell, third choice at Ewood Park behind fellow American Brad Friedel and Peter Enckelman, holds both US and Germany passports following a two-year stint with Kickers.

Albion were plunged into a goalkeeping crisis when Michel Kuipers suffered shoulder muscle damage against Nottingham Forest last Saturday, ruling him out for the rest of the season.

Last season's first choice Ben Roberts is still recovering from back trouble and McGhee feels KuipersÇ young understudy Chris May is not ready yet for first team action, so he will be on the bench again tomorrow.

McGhee is close to bringing former loan forward Mark McCammon from Millwall back to the club on a permanent basis.

"I'm trying hard to get a deal done," McGhee said. "He is desperate to come."

Gary Hart is the latest Albion player to sign a new contract, keeping him at the club until the end of next season.

Meanwhile, Leon Knight has apologised to fans for a rude gesture during the Forest match after he was criticised for discarding the black armband worn by the players in memory of team-mate Adam Virgo's father Bob.

Knight said: "I reacted badly but my actions were in the heat of the moment. I was frustrated at missing a penalty and another chance just after.

"However, that's no excuse and I would like to say sorry to the Brighton supporters."

McGhee said: "I have spoken with Leon and the matter has been dealt with internally. As far as I am concerned the matter is now closed and I would hope it is the same for the supporters."

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
At last there's movement. Whoever gets to play won't get much time to settle in with the defence.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Albion were plunged into a goalkeeping crisis when Michel Kuipers suffered shoulder muscle damage against Nottingham Forest last Saturday, ruling him out for the rest of the season.

Didnt realise he is out for rest of season !

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Are these 2 anymore experienced than Chris May? If not then we should give him a try!

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
if there gonna bring an other inexperienced keepers instead of giving chris may his chance shows how highly they rate may!

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Flitney would be better.

Or Pidgely.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
silky1 said:
Was this keeper the one on loan to Notts County aerlier this week when they conceded 5 at home to Macclesfield Town?:ohmy:

No he wasn't. He hasn't appeared for County since the 11th of December.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
dougdeep said:
At last there's movement. Whoever gets to play won't get much time to settle in with the defence.

Its probably the worst position on the field to get somebody in at the last moment.

Oh for a chrystal ball, if the club hadn't agreed to switch the Leeds game we would have had a weekend off and more time for the new keeper to get to know the players

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Chris May is just TOO small to be a top class 'keeper. They must still be waiting for him to grow.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Wayne Henderson:

21 years old
5 ft 11'
12 appearances for Notts County this season. Kept 3 clean sheets, conceded 21 goals.
Last season made 3 appearances for Tamworth and 3 for Wycombe.

David Yelldell

23 years old
6 ft 5'
0 first team appearances in England.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
No he wasn't. He hasn't appeared for County since the 11th of December.
He was on the bench for the 5-0 defeat, Do we want him if he can't even get into a League Two side??

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
dont we have a deadline of midday/5pm or sometime to sign someone who will be eligible for tomorrows match?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
cool, should be on the official site by Monday then...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Fancy Yelldall as he's 6ft 4 and American (for some reason I think he's just like Brad Freidal) . Have no other grounds why I prefer him though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here