Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
P22 W9 D5 L8 F23 A23 GD0 Pts32

This season

P22 W8 D9 L5 F29 A21 GD8 Pts33

Fewer defeats, more goals, fewer conceded, better goal difference, more points (just)

Does this equal real progress?

Can we push on better than we did last season?

Will GOSBTS ever be sung at the right speed?

So many questions

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It certainly suggests we're no worse. And I'm happy. It's all jolly great fun.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We are tougher to beat and creating many more chances so that is progress. The next stage of progress is basically top 6.

I think with the players we signed and our start we probably all thought we would be a bit further on. I think if GP was being honest he would of expected us to be in the top 6.

Still , we are in touch and have a transfer window nearly upon us where unlike most teams 1 player will probably be the jigsaw complete.

Less exciting than last year probably down to the new amex / new league experience but pretty relaxed about it.

I'm enjoying my football and no doubting we are a very good team

Dec 29, 2011
Higher wages, more money spent on players, easier league. Too many variables to look at our stats and say 'progress'.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Lots of progress in my view: much more solid defence, stronger squad, bigger opportunity to push on and cement a top six place in the second half of the season ... if we can land the player (or two) that will deliver the clinical finishing we've been lacking.

Also I think it's a tougher league than last year: more heavyweight Premier League level clubs, more unpredictability (how else can you explain bottom beating top, Bolton/Brum/Blackburn/Wolves all lower mid table, and the likes of Millwall and Watford on strong runs).

Start to string some wins together and we will be up there in with a shout, no question.

Dec 29, 2011
Easier league? There has been some big clout spent this season by other clubs. Not sure how it is easier?

In my opinion it is easier this year, the 'big three' that came down aren't performing well and at least two look unlikely to make the playoffs. Apart from Cardiff and POSSIBLY Middlesbrough the top 6 are inconsistent and I wouldn't put money on them finishing top 6 at the end of the season, unlike last year.

Watford, Millwall, Hull, Leicester and even Palace look beatable and even Gus admitted the league was average.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I've always wondered this - say we end the season in a higher position, but with less points. Is that progress? Or what if we finish lower, but with more points? Is that progress? No doubt whatever happens some will choose to see it negatively.

I think we are improving, gradually - in general we're playing at a higher tempo and creating more chances than last season, and this combined with a rock solid defence means we're becoming one of the toughest teams to beat. Yes, in recent games our finishing has been poor and greatly frustrating for all involved, but a glass-half-full assessment would be, on another day it clicks into place and we tear a team to shreds. Barnes & CMS in particular have both gone through patches of prolific goalscoring over the last couple of years, albeit interspersed with dry spells that mean they garner much criticism. But form is temporary and who knows, they could suddenly hit a purple patch, we could win five on the bounce and come out the other side of January with some confidence and momentum, perfectly positioned for a genuine challenge.

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
although the point difference is negligible, i do believe we are a far better team than last season. with a bit of competence / luck in front of goal, we would be a lot better off than last season.

Will GOSBTS ever be sung at the right speed?

probably not.....but at least me and you give it a go

now is the time for marching :bowdown:

leamo

Jul 27, 2011
Sussex by the sea...
In my opinion it is progress from last year. We definitely have a stronger squad and better starting 11 and although its frustrating at the minute we are not far away from completing the jigsaw. The record above also indicates this, and although it may be slow progress i think by the end of the season it will be much more apparent.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
This year we're creating more chances, and failing miserably to convert them, a big improvement on last season where we weren't even creating the chances.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think the real progress is that we look like a Championship side. We've had the likes of Painter and Dicker play and perform well enough because overall we haven't any direct weakspots and are able to read the game well enough to cope with minor mistakes made. We had a blip, of course, but we've virtually never seemed out of place or fighting above our weight like we did last year.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
This year we're creating more chances, and failing miserably to convert them, a big improvement on last season where we weren't even creating the chances.

This. Bloody annoying, I'd say we were more clinical last year with the chances we actually had. Although we did score less goals though.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Last year in several games we hung on by the skin of our teeth and did not look comfortable this year we are much more comfortable and generally in control so definite progress. Last year we were weak I several departments this year It really is one area that is deficient and we all know what that is. Other teams are now altering the way they play to counter us not the other way round so they see us as a better team.
We all want it fast but I am happy with progress.

Second question no chance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here