Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Working Life!

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Just wondering how many people on here take there work seriously.
I don't and can't wait for friday grrrrrrrrr,so your views on the good old working life.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap: :smokin:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
nah for me all work is an excuse to go and talk to my mates, get fed and get paid for it. splendid if u ask me. what an invention this work malarcky is.:clap:

Vaguely responsible job, so have to take it fairly seriously, although not to the detrement of social life etc. Hence the moderate posting levels!

Certainly not career obsessed. Live for the weekend, although sometimes I feel it is sad wishing away 5 days a week of my life.:nono:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sadly I have a bit of responsibility staff and budgets etc so the fun isn't there anymore.

Only consolation is the pay is good and as a family we get a better quality of life.

Sometimes wonder about my stress levels though ???

I could do my job with my eyes closed it's so f***ing easy. But then I wouldn't be able to use NSC or look at the fit(ish) birds in the office.

Piss around with Goring for most of the day trying to do as little as possible. Money's alright though, very little stress and get to arrange my entire social life via email, therefore saving pounds on text messages. Could certainly be a lot worse.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I don't take it even slightly seriously - although I still manage to sound like I do when I'm there. All being well, my notice will be handed in by the end of the month so I'll enjoy that wonderful period of "what are you gonna do? sack me!?" doing even less than I do now, while dreaming of the wonders of the East...

Oh... how sweet that final day will be...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I do take my job seriously and have to really.
Really enjoy it also which helps.

Do still have a tops time also.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I take my job seriously because I work for myself and if I didn't take work seriously I wouldn't earn anything! But I'm not prepared to have work take my life over because the whole point of earning money is to enjoy it. I've been there and done the 70 hours a week in senior management "cascading organisational visions" and similar crap. Now I'm lucky enough to work at the things I like best AND not have to clock into somebody else's office 5 days a week.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Beach Hut said:
Sadly I have a bit of responsibility staff and budgets etc so the fun isn't there anymore.

Only consolation is the pay is good and as a family we get a better quality of life.

Sometimes wonder about my stress levels though ???

I'm like Beach Hut. I'm doing my staff appraisals at the moment. Mind you, I try not to take things too seriously but it can be difficult with the demands made by our clients.

I do spend too much time NSC and Brightonfans.com. My team know I do as we work in IT and they monitor web access. Well there you go!

The main aggro is the constant fear of redundancy/downsizing etc. It's crap when you have a family,mortgage, etc.

midlandseagull

Jul 7, 2003
bewdley
I used to treat work flippantly and spend an inordinate amount of time on NSC....unfortunately I've had problems with the new board and have only just managed to get in and stay in (how many girls have complained about that!!!!!). As a result I've had to actually do some work.....definitely not recommended!!!!:clap: :clap2:

I had a conversation with someone this evening who has just retired. He's spent the last two days at Arundel, watching Sussex play cricket.

"I don't think I'll go tomorrow. I'll take the day off", he said.

Now that is what I call "getting a life".

:)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Doing one full time and six part time jobs at present, try not to let them get to me. Still time for NSC, but not as much as I used to have

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lord Bracknell said:
I had a conversation with someone this evening who has just retired. He's spent the last two days at Arundel, watching Sussex play cricket.

"I don't think I'll go tomorrow. I'll take the day off", he said.

Now that is what I call "getting a life".

:)

Agreed LB

Just got to make sure that I'm not poor when I retire to have the luxury to do such things!

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
I work to live rather than living to work.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I got made redundant last year after 25 years with a firm. I consequently got a nice payout and I also have started receiving a small pension from them each month.

So at present I am only working 16 hours a week at a job I can do with my eyes closed.

When we move back to Sussex in the near future we shall have to start again with a mortgage so I will have to return to full time working again for a few years.

It is worth it just to return to my roots.

gonzo666

Jul 5, 2003
southwick
I take my job seriously well sort of,i do a lot of heavy lifting so i have to use my head sometimes:p

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I haven't worked per se since last July as I have been travelling and studying and generally skiving. I'm doing an MCSE but as a move to the US is likely I am now not sure what I'll do when I get there.

After 30 years in IT I'm rather bored with it.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
I used to work my bollocks off and it got me nowhere,so now i go to work and treat it like butlins.
Got no pension and not bothered about it either!:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :flameboun

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
bhaexpress said:
After 30 years in IT I'm rather bored with it.

Blimey BHAExpres that's longer than me! (Do you remember when IT was called DP?) Ah stacks of 80 column punch cards (which got dropped on the floor), mag or even paper tape, disk packs, RPGII coding pads, those were the days.

Like Roz I work for myself. I've got an office in the Brighton Business Centre rather than working from home and I just sit and write software for whoever wants it. It's my job and my hobby and I wouldn't swap it for anything and I never want to retire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here