Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stop Exploiting Loyalty - FSA Campaign

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The Football Supporters Association are co-ordinating a campaign to stop Premier League Clubs increasing ticket prices and making changes to their concessionary ticket pricing.

They met with the Premier League this week to discuss the issue

As a member of the Premier League Network on behalf of the BHASC, we were asked to add our support to the campaign by agreeing to hold a protest at our home game with Wolves for which they will provide a banner like the one shown here (at Liverpool v West Ham)

1729152360122.png

After consulting with all the other fan groups, we had no reason to think that this was something we wanted to do at Brighton.
Therefore we have taken the difficult decision NOT to take an active part in these protests, because we felt that The Albion are not exploiting its fans (e.g. Europa League match pack, ST price increases, no changes to concessions)

This is a difficult decision because we were so humbled to receive support from the wider football family in the 1990s, indeed Fans United started in Brighton, so to specifically not support fellow fans who are protesting does not sit well.

However, for Albion supporters to display a banner like this at The Amex would in our opinion be ridiculous. The media would have a field day as the supporters of the "best run club" could not be seen to have anything to complain about. However much we might say we were protesting only on behalf of fans who do have very legitimate complaints, the message would be lost.

There are two National weekends of planned protests. You may well see these banners in the media, and wonder why Brighton are not involved. Hence this post.
The two weekends are our home game with Wolves and away at Liverpool. There will undoubtedly be a protest at Liverpool and we are actively encouraging Albion fans to join the protests there in support of the Anfield club's fans.

Brighton were not the only club who's fans who had the same outlook. We were the only ones singled out for criticism from the fan group who initiated the campaign.

We will be supporting the campaign through social media, with the message that we are lucky to be run by a fan, to have regular communication with the club, whilst being vigilant about this issue in the future.

If you haven't joined the FSA, you should. Its free and you'd get this information first hand https://thefsa.org.uk/join/

The guy at the FSA who runs the Premier League network is a Newcastle fan. I'm going to have a drink with him on Saturday and explain again our stance.

Your feedback would be invaluable. Did we get this right?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Football Supporters Association are co-ordinating a campaign to stop Premier League Clubs increasing ticket prices and making changes to their concessionary ticket pricing.

They met with the Premier League this week to discuss the issue

As a member of the Premier League Network on behalf of the BHASC, we were asked to add our support to the campaign by agreeing to hold a protest at our home game with Wolves for which they will provide a banner like the one shown here (at Liverpool v West Ham)

View attachment 190429

After consulting with all the other fan groups, we had no reason to think that this was something we wanted to do at Brighton.
Therefore we have taken the difficult decision NOT to take an active part in these protests, because we felt that The Albion are not exploiting its fans (e.g. Europa League match pack, ST price increases, no changes to concessions)

This is a difficult decision because we were so humbled to receive support from the wider football family in the 1990s, indeed Fans United started in Brighton, so to specifically not support fellow fans who are protesting does not sit well.

However, for Albion supporters to display a banner like this at The Amex would in our opinion be ridiculous. The media would have a field day as the supporters of the "best run club" could not be seen to have anything to complain about. However much we might say we were protesting only on behalf of fans who do have very legitimate complaints, the message would be lost.

There are two National weekends of planned protests. You may well see these banners in the media, and wonder why Brighton are not involved. Hence this post.
The two weekends are our home game with Wolves and away at Liverpool. There will undoubtedly be a protest at Liverpool and we are actively encouraging Albion fans to join the protests there in support of the Anfield club's fans.

Brighton were not the only club who's fans who had the same outlook. We were the only ones singled out for criticism from the fan group who initiated the campaign.

We will be supporting the campaign through social media, with the message that we are lucky to be run by a fan, to have regular communication with the club, whilst being vigilant about this issue in the future.

If you haven't joined the FSA, you should. Its free and you'd get this information first hand https://thefsa.org.uk/join/

The guy at the FSA who runs the Premier League network is a Newcastle fan. I'm going to have a drink with him on Saturday and explain again our stance.

Your feedback would be invaluable. Did we get this right?
Yes, you got this right, albeit with a different banner indicating BHA fans support fans of other clubs (rather than criticize their own club), there could perhaps have been a different solution.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Whilst we may be better than others I still think it’s a message worth supporting. Whilst ticket prices haven’t massively changed things like continually moving the goal post on ticket sharing has felt exploitative and simply for revenue generation - which in turn has made things more difficult for ST holders. Tough one but all things considered I think would have supported the campaign TBH. Difficult call though so no criticism as such from me

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We should support other fans / clubs but it’s the right move for us not to get involved. Would be a big kick in the teeth to Tony Bloom otherwise

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Mate.

It's a very difficult decision, but I think you called it right. In particular how the media would twist it against us, in doing so diluting the message about the clubs who really need to change how they act.

The focus now has to shift to how we can support the campaign. Is their scope for some sort of fans united walking together behind a banner thing? 20 fans in 20 different shirts standing behind one banner would be a powerful image

Shaktarman

Sep 19, 2022
Whilst we may be better than others I still think it’s a message worth supporting. Whilst ticket prices haven’t massively changed things like continually moving the goal post on ticket sharing has felt exploitative and simply for revenue generation - which in turn has made things more difficult for ST holders. Tough one but all things considered I think would have supported the campaign TBH. Difficult call though so no criticism as such from me
This is my take too. They do take the piss a bit with tickets prices and sharing. All of football does. But I do get why you didn’t want in. Tough one.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The wider point here I think is that owners who are struggling to hit FFP targets are seeking to soak every penny from matchday revenue they can. Evidence number 1, Villa fans and CL price ticket prices.

The days of being able to throw a few quid in the bucket to help a club out, at this level are gone. This now a game of hedge funds, oil states and shadowy businessmen. It's a game where players are paid £100's of K per week and football agents are multi millionaires. The ordinary fan can't be expected to be making up shortfalls in a game like this

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think you took the right decision. If there was a separate banner that expressed solidarity with other fans then I think that is something we could get behind. In fact Wolves fans are one group who are now suffering because of this issue so if they had the banner at the away end that would make more sense.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I completely understand why you have made this decision but personally I do disagree with it.

I believe all Premier League, and the majority of professional clubs including ours, exploit their fan base in this country, not just when it comes to ticket prices but ticket resales, kits, merchandise, food, drink, kick off times etc (I appreciate the last point is TV companies but it goes hand in hand with club greed). The Premier League and it’s clubs are enjoying the gravy train at the moment but it won’t last. Future generations of match going fans will be lost unless something is done as professional football has become unaffordable for a huge number of families in this country.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It was extremely disappointing to see after the initial furore of Aston Villa intention to charge fans £97 a seat to sit in non corporate sections of Villa Park for the visit of Bayern Munich in the CL.

Stan Collymore and others right across the media, its disgusting, an insult to the Villa fans etc, etc, then nothing.......

The ticket price didn't change and Villa beat Bayern in front of a full house🤷‍♂️

Dec 29, 2011
I completely understand why you have made this decision but personally I do disagree with it.

I believe all Premier League, and the majority of professional clubs including ours, exploit their fan base in this country, not just when it comes to ticket prices but ticket resales, kits, merchandise, food, drink, kick off times etc (I appreciate the last point is TV companies but it goes hand in hand with club greed). The Premier League and it’s clubs are enjoying the gravy train at the moment but it won’t last. Future generations of match going fans will be lost unless something is done as professional football has become unaffordable for a huge number of families in this country.
100% this. We don't think it's so bad at Brighton because it's much worse at other clubs, but it's still bad here. But almost £200 for a family of four to watch the Spurs game and get a half time snack is frankly ridiculous (£55x2+£25x2+£7x4).

As Germany has shown, fans have the ultimate power in football, but in the English game we tend to forget that. Anything to show support to encourage the movement should be done IMO.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Definitely the right decision. As a previous poster has said my only gripe is the mechanics and cash grab around ticket sharing.

But for balance the fact that I can pay for my season ticket by interest free installments is brilliant.

Dec 29, 2011
Definitely the right decision. As a previous poster has said my only gripe is the mechanics and cash grab around ticket sharing.

But for balance the fact that I can pay for my season ticket by interest free installments is brilliant.

The fact that this is even worthy of a mention and not standard practice at all clubs is precisely why we need a supporters movement. Football has lost itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here