Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Hunt - How does compensation work?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere but does anyone know how compensation works for the likes of Hunt at Brentford.

As far I can make out, if a player is Under 24 and comes to the end of his contract, the club in question is owed compensation which is decided by tribunal.

BUT what if Hunt decided to leave Brentford and do nothing - surely they can't keep him if he wasn't contracted (I know that he is currently on a week-to-week). If he left and was unemployed for a month and a club picked him up on a free - surely Brentford wouldn't be owed anything. Is there a time limit that someone has to be away from the club before compensation is no longer owed?? Anyone know?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
They still hold his registration under the Bosman Ruling until he's 24.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
And they hold on to that until he moves elsewhere? So a player could be at a club at 17 and then give up football for 6 years - take it up again at 23 and his original club would still be owed money?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think that at 24 he's a free agent. It's amed at protecting smaller club's investment in developing players. Just ask Villa .............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here