Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slightly mixed feelings about promotion...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's strange this morning because I'm nowhere near as fed up about last night as I thought I would be. In the past, when we've been trying to get out of League One, I'd have been gutted. I suppose it's just the novelty of being in the Championship in a decent ground but I've enjoyed this season so much that if we don't make the play-offs, I'm not going to be unhappy at all about another year in the second tier. There've been so many edge of the seat, truly unpredictable games that the idea of swapping that for a season in the Premier League where mid-table mediocrity would be a triumph just doesn't really appeal.

I'm not in the 'too soon to go up' camp - for financial reasons if nothing else we have to grab that chance whenever we can and it'll be great to host the biggest clubs at the Amex one day - but in terms of the competitiveness of the football, week-in, week-out, I wonder if this is about as good as it gets for all but the biggest clubs these days?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
gus is hungry - next season he will know much more and go for automatic.

just need rid of cms and vokes, get Toby.A firing and a new striker that fits the system.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I woke up with that slightly sunken feeling you get (usually after England have been knocked out of a tournament) - the stupid thing is this time next week we may be back in a play off spot.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I too am strangely subdued rather than downright disappointed. It's nice to think how far the club has come this season and I've enjoyed the football we've played this year and the team will get better next season and so will our crowds.

And let's not forget, this season ain't done yet. Four wins and we will be in the play offs. Maybe even three wins and a draw. Unlikely but not beyond the realms of possibility.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I am a bit disappointed, but it is only what I expected. We would have needed even more luck that we have already had this year. This year we are the proverbial "nearly men". Hopefully, Tony will back Gus with the money to acquire the players we need to make a real challenge for automatic promotion next season. Gus won't change his style of play, so the best we can hope for is to get players capable of executing it properly. He has hinted at this on the OS.

I am really disappointed that CMS has not been as good for us as he was for Posh. For me, that is the real disappointment of this season because I was so excited when he chose to sign for us. At first I made excuses for him about the lack of service. But, the truth appears to be that even when he gets (the less easy Championship level) chances, his touch and shooting simply let him down. He has got a great engine on him, and maybe it was him who should have been tried in a deeper Rooney type role, with someone else as the lone striker?

I had hoped for a real promotion push, but in my heart, knew it would not happen with the squad we have. Too many weak links in the spine of our team.. We have needed a top quality keeper, an attacking midfielder to replace EB, and a "fox in the box" striker all season. The players that Gus got in the summer have spent too long out injured, or have not been consistent enough. As we all know, consistency is the key to success in any league, of any sport.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
In CMS I think we had a 'fox in the box' striker at the start of the season but his confidence is now shot to pieces. We've improved as a team and are creating more chances but he's no longer making the runs to get on the end of them. That extra yard from anticipating seems to have been lost along with his belief. Hopefully, he can get his chin up in the summer and do well next year. I still reckon he's got plenty to offer - possibly he's been harder on himself than he needs to be? Most people appreciate the all-round effort that he was putting in and thought things would turn.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm absolutely sick even now......

Bloomin' hate Reading, for any one of a number of reasons. League 1 rivalry / when we had to change in our away kit - although we were the home side / Madjeski / the rubbish I used to get from my Reading supporting ex-boss / for poaching Steve Coppell / the poaching of Steve Sidwell / for having music every time they score / because Ian Harte always scores against us / for winning last evening.....

Think our play-off chances are over now..... I'm with the OP second para in terms of going up. Sadly CMS doesn't look up to it and the midfield is badly lacking when Bridcutt is not around...

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
In CMS I think we had a 'fox in the box' striker at the start of the season but his confidence is now shot to pieces. We've improved as a team and are creating more chances but he's no longer making the runs to get on the end of them. That extra yard from anticipating seems to have been lost along with his belief. Hopefully, he can get his chin up in the summer and do well next year. I still reckon he's got plenty to offer - possibly he's been harder on himself than he needs to be? Most people appreciate the all-round effort that he was putting in and thought things would turn.

I really don't see CMS as a "fox in the box" (well not under my definition). He works too hard around the pitch, instead of simply making sure he is in the right place at the right time, with killer technique. You could be right about it being a confidence thing, but (now) his first touch is dire, and his shooting is too wasteful.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't really see how you can be pissed off after last night. It was one of the best performances I've ever seen from us and I'd back us for the Championship next season.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Don't really see how you can be pissed off after last night. It was one of the best performances I've ever seen from us and I'd back us for the Championship next season.

It would be better to add to the squad for next season, and really give it a go then. I for one would not want to be the laughing-stock of the Premiership, because it would be a massive ask to strengthen this squad to survive at that level. I cannot but feel that it would be like when we were not ready for Championship football, but went up anyway, and the whole thing was dire. Yes, the money would be good, but that is not everything is it?

If we can strengthen the squad, and give it a further year to gel, the end of next season could be truly memorable. If we go up then we will be far better quipped to give survival a real go.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I also don't believe this 'too soon to go up' nonsense, but i love this league, the calibre of opposition and the quality of the team that WE have is just unreal. You never know what will happen in the championship, and it is that which makes it the best league in the world :clap:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I left last night thinking the season was over but having just looked at the table it's clearly not.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I left last night thinking the season was over but having just looked at the table it's clearly not.

this, if we play like we did yesterday i think we could possibly beat west ham, especially considering how poor they have been at home recently, i just hope we don't cave to the hoofball pressure they put on birmingham when they were 3-1 down, birmingham did just gift them the ball back every single time though and that isn't how we play.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
'It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand'

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Lets face it,we are not ready to go up,ok,we may gain 50mil-60mil if we went up,but we would have to spend that to stay up,another season or 2 in the championship wont be a bad thing as such,we will only get a better team/sqaud in that time,bit more prepared to stay in the Premier League.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Who the f*** is Laura? It is a little bit early to have drunk that much isn't it?

I've always worked on the premise that it is ok to have a drink as long as it's after midday. And right now it is after midday somewhere in the world.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

hanging by a thread...... lose at West Sham and Cardiff win at Oakwell and it will be curtains, we've now got 4 or 5 teams within 3 points of us as well.

West Ham is a must win

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here