Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Olympic / Paralympics champions get their own Honours List?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Olympians to get own honours list, says No 10

Britain's Olympians and Paralympians are to get their own honours list, rather than simply being included in the New Year's Honours.

David Cameron has decided to place awards arising from the London 2012 Games outside the usual system. There has been no official confirmation of a separate honours list but Whitehall sources have told the BBC it will happen. They said it would reflect the scale of achievement by British athletes.

The 29 gold medals at the London games and more than 100 medals so far at the Paralympics had raised expectations that champions such as Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah, Sarah Storey and Ellie Simmonds would be recognised.

The prime minister's official spokesman said no official announcement would would be made at this stage. But he added: "The prime minister is very keen to recognise people who contributed to the very successful Olympics and Paralympics."

Johnnie Peacock who won the T44 100m said he was pleased by the prime minister's decision. Mr Peacock said: "That is good news. It's good to hear that he's obviously supporting everything and you know this country really has pushed the Olympics and Paralympics and they really are getting behind everyone so it's great to see the support that even he's given."

Dame Tessa Jowell, the former Labour Olympics minister, has also welcomed the decision by Mr Cameron. Speculation that Britain's Olympic heroes would miss out on honours was triggered last month by a senior civil servant, Jonathan Stephens, who told the BBC medals would not mean an "automatic gong".

Honours are awarded for exceptional achievement or service, twice every year - at New Year, and in mid-June - and are decided by a Whitehall committee and not the government. The sport committee, which is chaired by Olympic chief Lord Coe, is strictly limited as to the number of gongs it can award per year.

Baroness Grey-Thompson - herself an 11 time paralympic gold medallist - and sits on the sporting honours committee previously told the BBC that they were able to award "one or two" knighthoods, a "few more" CBEs, "more" OBEs and "up to 45-50 MBEs".

By giving Olympic and Paralympic athletes their own honours list Downing Street can ensure that there is no limit on the number of awards handed out.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Theyve worked hard, often with limited funds and this summer aside with little fanfare or publicity, and have this summer delivered a significant amount of national pride which has lit up this global event. Absolutely deserved.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Makes sense as England cricketers will all get an award for winning the ODI series against South Africa, well I assume they well as labour gave all the team an award when they won the Ashes.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Couldn't give a stuff really. Give them all knighthoods / life peerages / blue peter badges as far as I am concerned.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
The Ashes is a little more important than the ODIs.

I think they should just expand the number of each award they can give out rather than making a whole new system.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Makes sense as England cricketers will all get an award for winning the ODI series against South Africa, well I assume they well as labour gave all the team an award when they won the Ashes.

The ODI series v SA ended in a draw. :dunce:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Yes, they deserve an honour, especially as you cant hand out knighthoods, MBEs, CBEs etc to loads of people.

That said, a couple will get knighthoods - as well as Danny Boyle who i expect to get one.

Why has this been announced/leaked by Cameron as the Queen awards the honours it should have come from Buckingham Palace. It just smacks of more desperation on his part to gain popularity. No problem with any of the Athletes being recognised but just tired of Cameron muscling in on their achievements.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont see why there should be silly rigid allocations of honours anyway, especially further down the heirarchy. surely the act. what ever it is, sport, charity, business, is deserving of award in itself, not because fewer people were cited this year, or miss out because there was a bumper year. i dont expect to see them given out like sweeties, but if 3 or 4 sportsman are deserving of a knighthood one year, they should all get one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here