McPhee 4 - Worst Game For A While
Knight 7 - Right Winger, Left Winger & Forward All In One

Marney 5 - OKish
Harding 5 - Didn't Get Into It
Virgo 6 - Seemed To Shake Things Up In His Few Minutes

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Roberts 8 - couple of shaky moments but made 3 excellent saves (2 of which were world class)
Watson 5 - average. nearly gave it away near the end
Cullip 6 - solid
Butters 6 - solid
Mayo 5 - distinctly average. Distribution is awful
Hart 6 - thought he did well first half but faded badly
Oatway 6 - didn't look match fit
Rehman 5 - Not too upset about him going back
Yeates 7 - Still looks to be the only creative option we have
Mcphee 6 - Not as good as he has been recently but in no way should he be the scapegoat for Mcghee
Knight 8 - Played well and put in some excellent crosses (but what was he doing on the left wing in the first place??)

Marney 5
Harding 5
Virgo 6

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Roberts 8
watson 4
Cullip 6
Butters 6
Mayo 5
Hart 6
Oatway 5
Rehmann 4
Yeates 7
McPhee 6
Knight 7

Marney 5
Harding 6
Virgo 6

Captain Pugwash

Paul Kitson
Oct 27, 2003
brighton
roberts 7 (mom) - made 3 great saves
mayo 5 - poor game
cuillp 6 - ok
butters 6 - strong in first half
watson 4 - to many missed placed passes
hart 6 - losing it, but tried
oatway 5 - come good in the last few minutes
yeates 6 - did ok, not his best
rehman 6 - ok
knight 6 - prefer him more up front then on the wings but put in some good balls
mcphee 6 - ref ruined his game

subs
marney 5 - didn't make an impression
harding 5 - had a couple of good shots
virgo 6 - looked good when he came on

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
everyone a 4

except roberts- a 9 in my opinion
knight 8
butters 7-did nothing wrong
yeates-6 1/2- if only everyone else would do something then his creativity would pay off

*rehman was absolutely shit and im glad hes gone if hes gonna play like that, almost worst than henderson....well maybe thats a bit harsh on the lad

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Roberts 9
watson 5
Cullip 6
Butters 7
Mayo 5
Hart 5
Oatway 5
Rehmann 3 :wave:
Yeates 6
McPhee 6
Knight 7

Marney 4
Harding 6
Virgo 6

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Roberts 8
Watson 6
Cullip 7
Butters 6
Mayo 6
Hart 6
Oatway 6
Rehman 6
Yeates 8
McPhee 7
Knight 7

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Roberts - 8 - 3 fantastic saves but flapped a couple
Watson - 5 - poor
Cullip - 7 - one of our best but going through the motions ?
Butters - 5 - average
Mayo - 5 - average
Hart - 5 - average
Oatway - 3 - not up to it
Rehman - 5 - average
Yeates - 6 - some great passes and some crap passes
McPhee - 4 - not at the races today
Knight - 7 - became provider with some great crosses to who should have been on the end of them ? - Knight !

Roberts 9 - world-class saves
Watson 5 - Solid at the back but no good in their half
Cullip 6 - Usual reliable self
Butters 6 - Usual reliable self
Mayo 4 - the right-winger gave him the run-around
Hart 7 - Our only threat early on
Rehman 7 - Strong first-half, sorry to see him go
Oatway 4 - Not at the races
Yeates 6 - The formation didn't suit this classy player
McPhee 5 - More contact with the ref than with his team-mates
Knight 8 - So classy, if only that header had gone in

Marney 5 - few nice lay-offs
Harding 4 - no impact
Virgo 6 - Looked lively

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:

Rehman 7 - Strong first-half, sorry to see him go

You MUST have been watching a different game. He was complete crap as usual. Pleased to see the back of him.

goldstone said:
You MUST have been watching a different game. He was complete crap as usual. Pleased to see the back of him.

OK, I'll try and elaborate then.

Today was bizzare because our midfield formation had a rather mysterious quality to it. Zesh and Charlie seemed the central players, Hart in his usual place on the right but Yeates where? On the left presumably but so little of our play went down that flank, we never really saw him take up wide positions.

Within this curious formation, we actually did keep the game even and fashioned the better chances. Zesh for me was central to that effort, he picked up a lot of ball in the first half, was looking for work and his pass-completion rate was good, without knowing the stats I would guess better than Charlie's and Yeates' (although Yeates does tend to be more ambitous in his range). While none of our work in the first half was that inspired, I thought it was dogged and hard-working and Zesh symbolised that for me. Hart also did well.

In the second half, McGhee was looking to shake things up a bit and Harding was brought onto the left and Yeates moved to his more familar central role. Possibly McGhee thought Zesh was tiring, that may have been the case. But frankly, the wrong player was subbed, Charlie has even less game-time than Zesh and looked more and more error-prone from then on.

The change left us looking more disorganised. McGee appeared to have real difficulty communicating with the players about what he wanted and had a few screaming fits from the dugout. Suddenly Oldham were all over us and had their best spell of domination for the game. They had a couple of great chances and here we should have lost the game but for Roberts' brilliance.

I thought we were second-best from then on until a promising few minutes near the end, which may have been influenced by Virgo putting himself about, where we had a couple of chances in quick succession. To be fair to Harding (4 was a bit silly from me give how little time he had) he got into good position for one of them.

To sum up then, in an underperforming midfield, I feel Zesh was one of our better performers on the day. He has had some poor games for us but today's I didn't think was one of them.

On balance I'm sorry to see him go because he did a grafting job for us in the difficult circumstances of a manager still feeling his way into the job and for a team that has hit a rocky patch because of an unfortunate series of injuries and suspensions.

D

Drips

Roberts 8 :clap2:
Watson 6
Cullip 7
Butters 6
Mayo 6
Hart 6
Oatway 6
Rehman 5 :salute:
Yeates 7
McPhee 5
Knight 7

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I agree with London Irish. I thought Rehman had one of his best games for us (until he started tiring that is). I think rather too many people have decided that because he's been shit for too many games, then he's always going to be shit.

Rehman had a really good first half: he picked up a lot of loose balls, made some good tackles and (unlike most of the team) his passes tended to find a blue and white shirt.

Watson's another player who picks up a poor rating regardless of what he does. I thought he had a pretty good match yesterday. He shut up the Oldham left flank effectively, made some good tackles and made one excellent clearance from a dangerous-looking cross. He them blotted his copybook towards the end with a god-awful pass across goal tha could have spelled disaster. On the whole, he looked a good deal more solid than Mayo who looked totally out of his depth.

My ratings

Roberts 8
Watson 6 (he lost a point for that schoolboy error)
Cullip 7
Butters 6 (solid in the air but his distribution is woeful)
Mayo 4
Hart 6 (started brightly but faded)
Rehman 7
Oatway 5
Yeates 7 (would have been 8 but started getting ragged towards the end)
Knight 6 (some good wing play but would have been preferred him getting in the box more)
McPhee 4 (worst game for some time)

Subs:
Marney 4 (did cock-all)
Harding 7 (looked good and certainly helped Mayo pick his game up)
Virgo Unrated not enough time for any impact

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Watto did well especially when you consider their right winger was Jermaine Johnson ( a Jamaican international) on loan from Bolton. He looked a class above anyone else in their team

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
My player ratings:

Roberts 8 - Other than a couple of minor errors had a storming game and earned us a point.

Watson 5 - A reasonable defensive performance but didn't do a lot going forward. Still nowhere near the player he was two years ago and in my view not as good as Hinsh or El Abd.

Cullip 6 - Had one of his better games but still too inclined to hoof the ball when a more cultured approach might be more beneficial.

Butters 6 - Solid and reliable if a little laboured on occasions. I suspect that Blackwell may get the nod over him once he is fit.

Mayo 3 - Yet another very poor performance from Kerry who was made to look very flat footed by their right winger. How many times have we seen him given the runaround yet he is still in the team? Have we nothing better?

Hart 6 - A better performance from Harty but he seems to have lost some of his sparkle and enthusiasm for the game.

Rehman 6 - Played quite well in the first half, then faded. The only thing we'll miss is his height.

Oatway 3 - Charlie looked less than fit and I lost count of the number of misplaced passes he made. I remain to be convinced that he should be in the first team on merit.

Yeates 8 - Yet another good display from Yatesy, whose skill, vision and ability to read the game was way ahead of all his colleagues except, perhaps, Knight. In a better team, he would be a major asset. Can't see him staying much longer.

McPhee 5 - Didn't do a lot and not one of his better games but I'm not sure that it made much sense to substitute him with Marney since we then had no height up front.

Knight 8.5 - A very good display by Knight, who easily looked the best player on the pitch. If only we had a few other players that had his skill and movement.

Marney 5 - Made little impact but a few good passes.
Harding 4 - Largely ineffective but clearly has ability.
Virgo 6 - Surprisingly lively up front for the short period he played.

Summary - A poor display from the blue and whites. Still far too much hoofing and too many wayward passes. We need to learn to hold on to the ball, pass it through the midfield and run more at opposing defences. We conceded possession far too much. Mid table obscurity beckons me thinks.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here