Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Alliss

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
One of the old school of knowledgeable but entertaining sports commentators with a voice made for the art. Arlott, Johnners etc are sadly missed.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Shit! My heart just skipped a beat then, for a second a thought this thread was going to say he'd died!!

Great Commentator.

Me too.......... Phew!!

One of the last of the great "old school" sports commentators who has real character and individuality, not to mention being incredibly knowledgable......................... some if not most of the current crop on radio and tv should listen and blush.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Jesus. Thought you were about to say he'd bitten the bullet.

Echo what's already been said, a golfing legend. Golf is a sport that could easily be very, very boring to watch, but not with good old Peter, his knowledge is second to none. The other chap that wanders around the course talking about bunkers, pin positioning etc is also very good on the BBC, name eludes me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Crikey, don't do that!!

Love listening to Alliss, never competes with the action, gently builds up tension, conveys the emotions and his own passion and enjoyment for the game. Great commentator.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife on numerous occasions when I owned the pub in Sedlescombe near Battle. He is great friends with the owner of the hotel opposite the pub and used to come in for a few drinks and lunch. A very charming couple who would engage with the locals for many a hour. Is as genuine a chap as he comes over on the tv.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Jesus. Thought you were about to say he'd bitten the bullet.

Echo what's already been said, a golfing legend. Golf is a sport that could easily be very, very boring to watch, but not with good old Peter, his knowledge is second to none. The other chap that wanders around the course talking about bunkers, pin positioning etc is also very good on the BBC, name eludes me.

Ken Brown. He's good as well and a great foil to Alliss. Love some his technical work, including his analysis at the Masters where he showed how the mowers all mow down the fairway from the hole toward the tee so that the grass direction reduces ball roll. For a layman like me, I really wouldn't have known that.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Ken Brown. He's good as well and a great foil to Alliss. Love some his technical work, including his analysis at the Masters where he showed how the mowers all mow down the fairway from the hole toward the tee so that the grass direction reduces ball roll. For a layman like me, I really wouldn't have known that.

That's the one. Great example, it's things that if someone said them to you without watching you'd think you had no interest in whatsoever, but when you're sat by the tv listening it is actually very interesting to watch. Will be flicking between the golf and the horses before work today, decent days racing on C4.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

A lot of people don't like him, but I think he is great. One of his finest comments came at the Ryder Cup at Valderrama during a 4 ball match when he was asked whether he would putt first or let the opposition putt first. His reply was "I would always putt first, hole it and then see the colour of the other guys trousers".

Years and years ago, before TV technology developed to the point at which coverage of a golf tournament involved complete filming of every hole on the course, they used to employ people to walk the course in the company of the golfers, carrying a scoreboard that could be seen from afar by the TV production team using binoculars - allowing constant updates of the leader board.

I once got employment as a scoreboard carrier at the Dunlop Masters tournament. The job meant walking two complete rounds with Peter Alliss, his caddy, and his opponent on the day. Just the five of us were allowed to step on to the tees, the fairways and the greens. Peter Alliss was delightful company for the two days, talking about the game, his personal life, how he was playing on the day, what I did in my life, everything. Seeing everything at such close quarters was a real insight into top level golf.

A lovely man. And now a great commentator.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Peter quickly established himself among the top young players of the time.

Between 1954 and 1969, he won 21 professional tournaments - including three British PGA championships - and was twice winner of the Vardon Trophy. In September 1958, he won the national championships of Italy, Spain, and Portugal in three consecutive weeks.

His first appearance in the Ryder Cup was in 1953, and with the single exception of 1955, he represented Great Britain and Ireland in the event until 1969. He is one of only two father-and-son duos to have represented their country at this level.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Once when some drunks shouted out some banal comments at one of the tees he said "Ah, I see the Oscar Wilde appreciation society has arrived".

Quick quiz - who is the other father and son to have played in the Ryder Cup?
I was rather hoping it would be Eric Brown and Ken Brown, but it isn't.

Eric Brown was one of the golfers paired up with Alliss during my week as a scoreboard carrier. He had a very bad round and his caddy talked to me about his wish to sack the ex-Ryder Cup captain and find someone more reliable.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Peter quickly established himself among the top young players of the time.

Between 1954 and 1969, he won 21 professional tournaments - including three British PGA championships - and was twice winner of the Vardon Trophy. In September 1958, he won the national championships of Italy, Spain, and Portugal in three consecutive weeks.

His first appearance in the Ryder Cup was in 1953, and with the single exception of 1955, he represented Great Britain and Ireland in the event until 1969. He is one of only two father-and-son duos to have represented their country at this level.

But never as good as Faldo, hence his childish long term bitterness towards him? Faldo will replace as soon as he's off to the 19th as he's a better commentator also

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
But never as good as Faldo, hence his childish long term bitterness towards him? Faldo will replace as soon as he's off to the 19th as he's a better commentator also

What bitterness is this then? The only bitterness I detect from Alliss recently is that the BBC don't cover much golf any more and he was never made Ryder Cup captain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here