Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT. Electrical Advice please

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I have an AC adapter as power supply to my router. Its output is shown as 12v--0.75A. The unit has failed. I have another adapter whose output is 12V---2.0A.

Can I use this one or will the higher Amp cause damage to the router?
Thanks for any advice.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I will have a stab at this but could be wrong.

Its the device itself that draws current not the adaptor that forces it on the device. The router will take just as much as it needs. The 0.75 adapter was capable of supplying these needs so the 2.0 adapter is well within its comfort zone.

Check it is the right polarity.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003

Its the device itself that draws current not the adaptor that forces it on the device. The router will take just as much as it needs. The 0.75 adapter was capable of supplying these needs so the 2.0 adapter is well within its comfort zone.

Thanks Uncle C. That's reassuring. By polarity I presume you mean check that positive and negative go into and out of the router the same way on both adapters?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

You are indeed correct. 2A is it's maximum rated current that it can deliver which is equal to 24 watts of power (2A x 12 V). The old unit you had was 0.75Amps which equates to 9 watts of power(0.75A x 12 V). Hence the 2A power supply will be more than able to deliver the goods. As mentioned though you need to check the polarity, that could be an issue.

All the best

Thomas Edison

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
You are indeed correct. 2A is it's maximum rated current that it can deliver which is equal to 24 watts of power (2A x 12 V). The old unit you had was 0.75Amps which equates to 9 watts of power(0.75A x 12 V). Hence the 2A power supply will be more than able to deliver the goods. As mentioned though you need to check the polarity, that could be an issue.

All the best

Thomas Edison

Thanks again. The polarity symbols on the adapter and router match. Have switched on and all is powered up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here