Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle - player ratings

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Thought I’d open the absolutely essential but wholly biased and skewed by victory playing ratings bonanza:

Bart 9 - Near perfect today… some awesome long passes, and one or two world class saves, mostly bought about by world class decision making and positioning.

Velts 8 - top work winding the scouse muppet up, looked dead on his feet by 60 mins but then seemed to get a second wind… it was a tough game for him, got lucky at times but he’s a legend.

Igor 9 - looked quick, strong… 💪 really impressed… top distribution and willingness to carry the ball too.

Dunk 7 - seemed sluggish in the first half, nearly got caught out dithering and lost his man (Gordon header) but ended the game in fairly resplendent golden era form.

Ferdi 8 - worked his little socks off and is growing game by game, easily his best thus far with more to come I suspect…

Carlos 8 - bossed the midfield at times, but can be brilliant yet calamitous at the same time… occasional head down moments and too cool for school casualness BUT has sooooo much raw potential it’s insane.

Hinsh 8 - did a lot of work, probably way more than I noticed initially and grew and grew into the game… was everywhere in the final 10 mins… unreal for his age.

Ayari 7 - bits of wonderful play, got a bit bullied at times but gave everything, which is all we can ask.

Rutter 9 - Jesus wept he worked so hard… he might look like big Jurgs but he’s 500 times the player in every respect… f***ing loved it.

Fergie 5 - hmmmmm probably the most concerned I’ve been about tangible decline in a wee while.

Welbz 9 - everything he brings to the table oozes class… I love him, heck we all love him… get well soon Welbz !!!

Subs -

Mits & Perv 7s - double act tastic… loved the immediate link up… both clearly not quite there (following the latest break) but Pervis really is starting to look more like his old self…

Van the man 7 - Purred like he has of late… a superb player to have been able to throw into the storm at the end of the match… cool as a cucumber 🥒

Julio 6 - okay, needs game time and the form will follow … probably be more involved vs Wolves I suspect.

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I generally think about this as I'm going so I'm not too swayed by the outcome, but there's always going to be a bit of that. I've ended up with:

Bart 8: Looked solid all game, made some very good saves and distribution was good. Probably his best showing for us.

Veltman 8: Had them rattled from the off. Balding did get some space in the first half but he dealt with him well. His performance typified by the immediate tackle to snuff Barnes out as soon as he got the ball towards the end.

Igor 7: Great clearance in the second half and some nice charges forward. Needs to focus on the offside line as he played them on a couple of times, but he looked good today.

Dunk 6: Made a few clangers which could've cost us on another day, losing the ball to gift them a chance in the first half, winning it then losing it straight back to Joelinton in the corner during the second half, losing Gordon for the headed chance. But he got it back and played a big part in getting us over the line.

Kadioglu 6: Still a bit worried by his defensive positioning at times but I'm sure he's going to be a really good player for us. Definitely can't fault his work rate. Think he is better suited to playing as a wing back with 3 CBs but what do I know.

Baleba 7: Did his job well, not quite as outstanding as he has been in other games this season but can't be blamed for being a bit tired after getting a knock whilst on his international slog.

Hinshelwood 7: Great work rate in the middle, did a lot of the dirty work to take the pressure off.

Ayari 6: I do think he played well on the whole but he became a bit of a liability before he was subbed. Again, can't blame him for fatigue after his illness and international duty.

Georginio 9: I am so impressed with him. A herculean effort. I don't think we would've got out our own half in the first half if he hadn't been there holding the ball up. The tracking back and defensive work was wonderful, the composure and lay off for the goal was masterful. We've got an absolute gem on our hands here.

Welbeck 7: One chance, one goal, you can't ask for much more. Really seems on the same wavelength as Georginio, two really intelligent, hard-working, technically-gifted players. Really hope the knock today isn't going to affect him, peaking at 33/34 is quite something.

Ferguson 5: It wasn't for the want of trying but it didn't happen for him today. I really hope he is OK generally and we can find a way to help him get his mojo back.

Mitoma 7: Came on just at the right time. Caused them problems with dangerous yet controlled and thoughtful play, and forced them to keep men back while attacking.

Perv 7: Linked up with Mitoma very well and certainly showed signs he is getting back to his best. Loved the desire to win that ball that ended up with Kadioglu smacking it at Burn.

Wieffer 6: Did his job in the anchor role, another well-timed sub. Shame it was him on the end of that chance in stoppage time but he did well to get there.

JP 6 Cool and calm, a perfect player to bring on in that situation.

Julio 6 I was really pleased to see some desire from him today, keeping the pressure on and preventing them getting out of defence.

Fabian got it spot on and I certainly think he's learning lessons and tuning his tactics. We rode our luck a couple of times with Isak and Gordon missing good chances, but we made the right subs at the right times and earned a huge three points.

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I generally think about this as I'm going so I'm not too swayed by the outcome, but there's always going to be a bit of that. I've ended up with:

Bart 8: Looked solid all game, made some very good saves and distribution was good. Probably his best showing for us.

Veltman 8: Had them rattled from the off. His performance typified by the immediate tackle to snuff Barnes out as soon as he got the ball towards the end.

Igor 7: Great clearance in the second half and some nice charges forward. Needs to focus on the offside line as he played them on a couple of times, but he looked good today.

Dunk 6: Made a few clangers which could've cost us on another day losing the ball to gift them a chance in the first half, winning it then losing it straight back to Joelinton in the corner during the second half. But he got it back eventually and played a big part in getting us over the line.

Kadioglu 6: Still a bit worried by his defensive positioning at times but I'm sure he's going to be a really good player for us. Definitely can't fault his work rate.

Baleba 7: Did his job well, not quite as outstanding as he has been in other games this season but can't be blamed for being a bit tired after getting a knock whilst on his international slog.

Hinshelwood 7: Great work rate in the middle, did a lot of the dirty work to take the pressure off.

Ayari 6: I do think he played well on the whole but he became a bit of a liability before he was subbed. Again, can't blame him for fatigue after his illness and international duty.

Georginio 9: I am so impressed with him. A herculean effort. I don't think we would've got out our own half in the first half if he hadn't been there holding the ball up. The tracking back and defensive work was wonderful, the composure and lay off for the goal was masterful. We've got an absolute gem on our hands here.

Welbeck 7: One chance, one goal, you can't ask for much more. Really seems on the same wavelength as Georginio, two really intelligent, hard-working, technically-gifted players. Really hope the knock today isn't going to affect him, peaking at 33/34 is quite something.

Ferguson 5: It wasn't for the want of trying but it didn't happen for him today. I really hope he is OK generally and we can find a way to help him get his mojo back.

Mitoma 7: Came on just at the right time. Caused them problems with dangerous yet controlled and thoughtful play, and forced them to keep men back while attacking.

Perv 7: Linked up with Mitoma very well and certainly showed signs he is getting back to his best. Loved the desire to win that ball that ended up with Kadioglu smacking it at Burn.

Wieffer 6: Did his job in the anchor role, another well-timed sub. Shame it was him on the end of that chance in stoppage time but he did well to get there.

JP 6 Cool and calm, a perfect player to bring on in that situation.

Julio 6 I was really please to see some desire from him today, keeping the pressure on and preventing them getting out of defence.

Fabian got it spot on and I certainly think he's learning lessons and tuning his tactics. We rode our luck a couple of times with Isak and Gordon missing good chances, but we made the right subs at the right times and earned a huge three points.
I missed out Wieffer! … ahem… totally agree with your assessment.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I'm mildly in awe of how good Jack Hinshelwood is.

He looks like a lad that should be doing a couple of Sunday afternoon shifts in a pub to get his confidence up dealing with grown ups.

He's mustard.
He is… to grow stronger as the game wore on… absolutely unreal for his age.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
stand outs:
•Rutter - exceptional work rate. Drives the team up the pitch with his dribbling
•Welbz - 1 chance, 1 goal
•Baleba and Hinsh - great work against a very strong midfield in Bruno, Joelinton and Tonali

Room for improvement:
•Ferguson - elephant in the room. Another Connolly?
•Igor - so much better recently, including today for the most part, but moments matter. He dropped 2 yards to play Isak onside just before we scored. If Isak scored we’d probably be talking about a 5/10 for him. Otherwise solid.
•Ayari - solid until 10 mins before he came off when he was basically playing for them giving it away constantly. Still young and learning

Overall, fantastic result showing the defensive grit and guile that’s been missing since the Hughton days 😁

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
stand outs:
•Rutter - exceptional work rate. Drives the team up the pitch with his dribbling
•Welbz - 1 chance, 1 goal
•Baleba and Hinsh - great work against a very strong midfield in Bruno, Joelinton and Tonali

Room for improvement:
•Ferguson - elephant in the room. Another Connolly?
•Igor - so much better recently, including today for the most part, but moments matter. He dropped 2 yards to play Isak onside just before we scored. If Isak scored we’d probably be talking about a 5/10 for him. Otherwise solid.
•Ayari - solid until 10 mins before he came off when he was basically playing for them giving it away constantly. Still young and learning

Overall, fantastic result showing the defensive grit and guile that’s been missing since the Hughton days 😁
Fergusson is playing expecting things to happen instead of playing making things happen. When his team mate, 12 years older, sprints past him to close down a Newcastle defender with the ball, it highlights his current situation. Up to him if he wants to improve.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Verbruggen MOTM. Was excellent today and the save from Isak changed the game, with Welbeck (also superb) scoring immediately after. Veltman also had a brilliant game

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
6 - average

Another game of two halves IMO. Went long a bit too much in the first half.

Bart - 9
Veltman - 7
Dunk - 6 - great pass to set up goal
Igor 8
Ferdi - 7
Baleba - 6
Hinshelwood - 7 - best game for us as a midfielder
Ayari - 6
Rutter - 9
Welbeck - 8
Ferguson - 5 - lots of effort, sadly touch is lacking

Mitoma - 7
Wieffer - 6
Enciso - 6 - much better than recent efforts IMO.
JPvH - 7 - for the touch when he pulled it out the sky
Perv - 7

Feck me it was a long trip, (drove) and we had stayed in York……
But of course the win made it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You have to give Bart a 10. Some great saves, a clean sheet and we won away at one of the toughest places to go.

Ferguson needs a break, even a slightly lucky goal to get his tail up . . . maybe next week vs Wolves . . . We know there's a good striker in there . . . He's still a teenager Remember.
Agree with the 10. Bart won us that game.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A win and clean sheet so understand why people are raving about Veltman. However has he lost pace because I dont think I have seen wide players go past him so easily as this season.

Ratso2005

Dec 4, 2004
Ferguson needs a break, even a slightly lucky goal to get his tail up . . . maybe next week vs Wolves . . . We know there's a good striker in there . . . He's still a teenager Remember.
He turned 20 yesterday, but the point remains valid.

Shaktarman

Sep 19, 2022
Igor one is tough. Defended and passed impeccably. Played them on by dropping too deep 2/3 times and they should have scored 1/2 goals as a result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here