Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Moselle valley in Germany

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I’m hoping to do a short family road trip next May and have always wanted to visit Bernkastle in the Moselle valley for old family reasons. Just wondering if any one has been there and/or has any tips to stay in that area?

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
We stayed three nights (think it was the minimum then) at Weingut Ebert in one of their Ferienhauser. Its 10+ years ago, but last time I Googled it it looked the same. Its in Wintrich, 10-15k from Bernkastel. In the middle of a wineyard, a couple of minutes walk to the river.

Last edited:

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Went to the Moselle Valley on a “Christmas Markets” coach trip advertised in The Argus for £49 about thirty odd years ago.
Pretty enough but it was December and everything was shut.

I recall very little of it except for some bloke on the coach back who got really pissed and stood up and told jokes for about three hours

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Went there in 1992 on a school trip to a little town called Traben-Trarbach.
Quite a pretty area but honestly can’t remember too much about it other than the fact that I fused the entire hotel by spilling Coke on a plug!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I’m hoping to do a short family road trip next May and have always wanted to visit Bernkastle in the Moselle valley for old family reasons. Just wondering if any one has been there and/or has any tips to stay in that area?
Lived in area for a year, Frankfurt Hahn Airport is not very far and you could fly there from Stansted with Ryanair and hire car as an option too.

Bernkastle is cute, quaint and small, as others have mentioned Traben Trabach and Cochem are also beautiful, but the drive itself in and around the Moselle River valley is stunning. Any type of river trip will be good.

Could also look at the Town (city) of "Trier" which is toward Luxembourg, very pretty at Christmas time, I went there randomly with a friend not knowing anything about it and read that it is the oldest city in Germany with the oldest Cathedral, it was a main European capital of the Roman empire and one its most important administrative centres outside Rome.

Went went to the Cathedral there randomly just for a peruse on our walkabout, again not knowing anything about it and read on the free info pamphlet, that the Roman emperor Constantine, who started out as a Pagan but converted to Christianity, to celebrate his new found faith commissioned the building of 3 Cathedrals.

The very famous and architectually stunning St Peters Basilica in the Vatican, the Church of the Holy Sephulcher in Jerusalem which is built on site of last supper and this one I was standing in Trier, was a bit of a wow.

It's also where Karl Marx was born and you can visit Karl Marx House.

Have a great time :)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Trier is lovely as mentioned above: a crazy amount of intact Roman buildings for a place so far north of the Alps, plus the Karl Marx stuff which is a Mecca for visiting Chinese tourists. From a different era but close by is Burg Eltz, a gorgeous and authentically medieval castle; many of the Rhine castles are also lovely but were restored heavily in the 19th century.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Have stayed in Alf, a small town on the Mosel. Lovely place. Nice restaurants and cafes, great walks and wine. Enjoy.

Is it named for

1728886278541.png

?

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Well, the short road trip next May is all booked up. Two nights in Reims en route and then four nights in Bernkastle. If only there was a German on this board that could provide recommendations on Mosel valley wine selections…..@Herr Tubthumper ?..

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
We stayed three nights (think it was the minimum then) at Weingut Ebert in one of their Ferienhauser. Its 10+ years ago, but last time I Googled it it looked the same. Its in Wintrich, 10-15k from Bernkastel. In the middle of a wineyard, a couple of minutes walk to the river.
Shirley it was a vineyard? Or perhaps a winelake in that region?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Well, the short road trip next May is all booked up. Two nights in Reims en route and then four nights in Bernkastle. If only there was a German on this board that could provide recommendations on Mosel valley wine selections…..@Herr Tubthumper ?..
For a quick fix, you can’t go wrong with the great Jancis:

“J J Christoffel, Clemens-Busch, Grans-Fassian, Fritz Haag, Reinhold Haart, Heymann-Löwenstein, von Hövel, Karlsmühle, Karthäuserhof, von Kesselstatt, Sybille Kuntz, Schloss Lieser, Dr Loosen, Carl Loewen, Egon Müller, von Othegraven, J J Prüm, Max Ferd Richter, Schloss Saarstein, St Urbans-Hof, Schaefer, von Schubert (Maximin Grünhäuser), Selbach-Oster, Dr Thanisch, Vollenweider, Van Volxem and Zilliken.”

Out of that list, I’d start with Muller, Prum, Richter, and Christoffel. Oh, and Thanisch.

Herr Ing Gull

Sep 3, 2014
Burg Eltz - a fairy tale castle without the bother of going all the way to Bavaria, Villeroy & Boch museum in Mettlach - if you like china, Zum Alten Bahnhof in Zell - a 'train' arrives every half hour whilst you are eating/drinking it's just bizarre

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here