Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Kelloggs Supporting School Breakfast Clubs...

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024
Has been the case since 1998, although I only became aware of it today as mentioned in an ad on TV this morning.

My initial thoughts were fairly cynical, assuming declining sales as more and more people avoiding ultra processed, sugar rich foods and this is a 'better' use of their marketing funds to hook kids at a young age, but then it has been a thing for over 25 years.

An alternative view is that many poorer family's are sending children to school on empty stomachs and this may be one of the most nutritious meals of the day, albeit the sugar spike first thing may be as much of a hindrance as a help to them and the teaching staff with regards concentration in class.

So, is this purely a cynical marketing ploy by a large corporate dressed up to be seen as something good to get the young hooked or is there a genuine upside to this due to the lack of alternatives?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
They use a good proportion of black kids and one black adult in the TV advert so they must be ethical, although as always with British advertising, East Asians and South Asians are completely absent.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A bit like the ties between global pet food manufacturers and vets. Often terrible food to give a bet but big incentives given to vet practices to force it on pets.

We wasted £100s on it after vets visits

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If poorer families are sending children to school with no breakfast, there are problems way beyond poverty. Two slices of bread and jam can be had for about 20p; so can a bowl of porridge.
In some homes I think you’ll find bread and jam are the main meal. To say it’s not about poverty is just stupid. You really are an arse aren’t you …..

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Is this the right place for me to complain (again) about Coco Pops? I loved them when I was young and when my kids were little, and one of the things I was looking forward to most with grandchildren was having a cheeky bowl every now and again. However a few years ago I bought some for my grandson. I gleefully poured myself a bowl, took a mouthful - and spat them out. They were horrible, they tasted more like cardboard packing granules. The reason being of course that they've had to change the recipe to meet modern, pearl-clutching, standards. My grandson hated them as well so I haven't bought them again.

People say that sugary breakfast cereals and responsible for childhood obesity. Utter tosh I say, indeed the exact opposite is true and I can prove it. We had them in the 60s and we were all as thin as a row of fence posts. They scrap them and, viola! Kids today are apparently all lardy-arsed fuckers. So it may be counter-intuitive to some but in order to combat childhood obesity we need to bring back 'Traditional Recipe' Coco Pops. And Ricicles (sugar coated rice crispies). And Sugar Smacks. Give the kids a bit of sugar energy first thing in the morning and they'll be buzzing all day.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
They use a good proportion of black kids and one black adult in the TV advert so they must be ethical, although as always with British advertising, East Asians and South Asians are completely absent.
It’s a different discussion but that’s the lazy advertising we’ve had a for a long time. Interracial couple of black male/white woman couple is the standard symbol for all racial diversity. Asians, Arabs have always been totally ignored generally in the west. It’s not just advertising but TV, media, arts, politics everything basically.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Show me a genuine family budget where full benefits are being received, where £1.50 per week could not be cut from other spending for a child's breakfast.
I tell you what. Why don’t you do a little reading? There is sadly plenty of info on the net that covers this. If you can’t be asked to look then you can’t make statements like the above.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The same Kelloggs who marketed cornflakes as an anti-masturbation tool?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I tell you what. Why do it you do a little reading? There is sadly plenty of info on the net that covers this. If you can’t be asked to look then you can’t make statements like the above.
There is lots of information, but never yet have I seen a genuine case study showing exactly what a family's incomings and outgoings are and why they can't get hold of (whether paid for or via food banks) a loaf of bread and pot of jam for the child's breakfast.

You seldom heard of children going to school hungry in the seventies or fifties, when there was less money about and food was more expensive and food banks didn't exist.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
There seems to be some misunderstanding around the use of Breakfast clubs.

The vast majority of parents putting their kids into Breakfast Club are doing so because they are working and need the additional childcare in the mornings. Unless you work within walking distance of your kids school it's almost impossible to drop them off at 8.45am and be at your place of work by 9am!

Very few will be going because it's a free meal (which isn't free because Breakfast Club costs £100+ per month per child!)

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024
Is this the right place for me to complain (again) about Coco Pops? I loved them when I was young and when my kids were little, and one of the things I was looking forward to most with grandchildren was having a cheeky bowl every now and again. However a few years ago I bought some for my grandson. I gleefully poured myself a bowl, took a mouthful - and spat them out. They were horrible, they tasted more like cardboard packing granules. The reason being of course that they've had to change the recipe to meet modern, pearl-clutching, standards. My grandson hated them as well so I haven't bought them again.

People say that sugary breakfast cereals and responsible for childhood obesity. Utter tosh I say, indeed the exact opposite is true and I can prove it. We had them in the 60s and we were all as thin as a row of fence posts. They scrap them and, viola! Kids today are apparently all lardy-arsed fuckers. So it may be counter-intuitive to some but in order to combat childhood obesity we need to bring back 'Traditional Recipe' Coco Pops. And Ricicles (sugar coated rice crispies). And Sugar Smacks. Give the kids a bit of sugar energy first thing in the morning and they'll be buzzing all day.

For me it's about educating from an early age healthy eating habits. I read an interesting article recently that a healthy diet is not necessarily linked to level of income, more about education and understanding. Having said that, my wife has worked in schools around Brighton and Hove for many years and has seen many underprivileged kids coming to school on an empty stomach. Whether that's related to lack of money, or poor parenting / negligence I can't say, but suspect a mix of all of those :(

Last edited:

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024
There seems to be some misunderstanding around the use of Breakfast clubs.

The vast majority of parents putting their kids into Breakfast Club are doing so because they are working and need the additional childcare in the mornings. Unless you work within walking distance of your kids school it's almost impossible to drop them off at 8.45am and be at your place of work by 9am!

Very few will be going because it's a free meal (which isn't free because Breakfast Club costs £100+ per month per child!)

Which would suggest it is a cynical marketing exercise by Kelloggs...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There is lots of information, but never yet have I seen a genuine case study showing exactly what a family's incomings and outgoings are and why they can't get hold of (whether paid for or via food banks) a loaf of bread and pot of jam for the child's breakfast.

You seldom heard of children going to school hungry in the seventies or fifties, when there was less money about and food was more expensive and food banks didn't exist.
Ah, that false nostalgia, again. Kids were going hungry, food was actually cheaper per household income, and bread & jam isn’t a nutritious breakfast.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Which would suggest it is a cynical marketing exercise by Kelloggs...
Sportswashing, Greenwashing, Povertywashing - most large companies do it - investing in community projects thus earning them tax relief whilst improving their PR and attracting the public to their product who think they are exercising ethical shopping choices…’because this company supports the local school’ etc

It’s a symbiotic relationship though - many community projects would not exist without corporate sponsorship or investment.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Ah, that false nostalgia, again. Kids were going hungry, food was actually cheaper per household income, and bread & jam isn’t a nutritious breakfast.
Bread and jam is a far more nutritious breakfast than nothing at all. If people are sending their children to school without breakfast because they think bread and jam is worse than nothing at all, then (like I said earlier) there are problems other than poverty.

It's a simple question If parents have no money to spend on their chldren's breakfast, it's because they are spending it on something else. If I knew what that "something else" is, it would be easier to understand why the children are going hungry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here